A class

Suki

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W251, S211 320 cdi Avantgarde (2005), W202 250 td (now sold), W245 with lots of extras
Hi All,
My wife wants a new car and she would like an A class.
I am looking for the CDI model with a few extras.
Does anyone have any experience of the >04 model?
i.e. build quality
any issues?
what extras are worth it?
what to look out for?

Does anyone think SE and Avantgarde is worth it?

Thanks in advance
Suki

sheriff

Reaction score
Hi Suki, we recently bought an 03 1.7 Cdi Elegance auto. We're really pleased with it. Some (old ;) people find the ride a bit firm, but coming from a Clio 172, it seems fine to me. I've got two sons, both approaching 6' and the room inside is quite superb. Great on fuel too. If there's anything else you need to know, just give me a shout.

sheriff

Reaction score
At the risk of getting a flaming, I've found that you won't get much advice here, as it seems that the A class isn't really accepted as being a proper mercedes. Have a look at the baby benz forum instead.

Sprint'n'Go

Reaction score
At the risk of getting a flaming, I've found that you won't get much advice here, as it seems that the A class isn't really accepted as being a proper mercedes. Have a look at the baby benz forum instead.

Not really a fair comment. Mercedes Introduced the A class at a time when they were starting to let quality slip. Couple this with the move into a totally new market sector for mercedes and they were heading for a fall.

The Traditional Merc owner loves larger, comfortable, quality cars and the A class just didn't cut it. Once the quality problems began to emerge it's fate was sealed. Apparantly the 2nd generation model is vastly better.

Unfortunatly The A class is not usually owned by enthusiasts in the way many of the other models are so there is a corresponding lack of content on the Forum.

I speak from experience as I owned a 1998 A170cdi and I hated it and couldn't wait to get shut of it but my wife loved it ("it's really nippy and so easy to park"). She didn't have to fix it!

sheriff

Reaction score
From what I'm reading on the baby benz site, the facelifted ones, 2002-3 onwards are much better than the older model. Just a shame that they're tarred with the same brush. Just glad that they don't suffer the rust problems of the larger, quality cars....;)

hawk20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML250 BlueTEC Sport
From what I'm reading on the baby benz site, the facelifted ones, 2002-3 onwards are much better than the older model. Just a shame that they're tarred with the same brush. Just glad that they don't suffer the rust problems of the larger, quality cars....;)

The new model is one thousand light years ahead of the old one. Driven the old model a few times and the new one too because my brother bought an A160cdi last January ( Jan 2006). It was a demonstrator from our local dealer (Pentagon) and cost a bit under £12k nearly one year old. So it is a spring 2005 one. The room inside is amazing for a vehicle of its outside dimensions. The ride is transformed from the older model. Big car feel and the quality of the interior, as many reviews have noted, is like an E class. I have very long legs and find ample room front and rear -much more legroom than an R class -yes definitely.

Fuel consumption: - he gets 65 to 70 mpg on a run e.g. Bournemouth to London or to the Wirral. Now done 17k miles and not a single thing has gone wrong (apart from vandals put a knife into the walls of two tyres). His is the basic model and it is fine. Alloy wheels and steering column adjustable for rake and reach (its an extra) are nice to have. I honestly find it in every way a proper Mercedes and NCAP say it is the safest car in its class. Autocar rated it well ahead of the BMW 1 series too.
Oh and my wife wants one, too.

What is the link for the baby benz site, please. I didn't know there was one.

maldon

Reaction score
Our one is and older Eleg. Bigger wheels and low profile tyres (not my doing) ride a bit lumpy.

The Mrs loves it, far easier to drive / park and roomier (she says) that both our previous E and C Estates.

No idea what the mileage is. Apart from the issue with the petrol leak no problem with the car at all.

Would be happy to buy a newer CDi Auto.

sheriff

Reaction score
The new model is one thousand light years ahead of the old one. Driven the old model a few times and the new one too because my brother bought an A160cdi last January ( Jan 2006). It was a demonstrator from our local dealer (Pentagon) and cost a bit under £12k nearly one year old. So it is a spring 2005 one. The room inside is amazing for a vehicle of its outside dimensions. The ride is transformed from the older model. Big car feel and the quality of the interior, as many reviews have noted, is like an E class. I have very long legs and find ample room front and rear -much more legroom than an R class -yes definitely.

Fuel consumption: - he gets 65 to 70 mpg on a run e.g. Bournemouth to London or to the Wirral. Now done 17k miles and not a single thing has gone wrong (apart from vandals put a knife into the walls of two tyres). His is the basic model and it is fine. Alloy wheels and steering column adjustable for rake and reach (its an extra) are nice to have. I honestly find it in every way a proper Mercedes and NCAP say it is the safest car in its class. Autocar rated it well ahead of the BMW 1 series too.
Oh and my wife wants one, too.

What is the link for the baby benz site, please. I didn't know there was one.

http://www.baby-benz.com/portal/

It's a pretty good site, you've got to pay £5.50 to become a member, but I used to pay that much for a forum when I had my Clio 172.

hawk20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML250 BlueTEC Sport
Suki, not quite sure when new A class came out. If you are looking at the previous model a couple of points that may help.
1. The seats on the AvantGarde are different from the other models. Much better shape and more comfortable.
2. Some have bigger wheels and low profile tyres -avoid like the plague as they spoil the already not-quite-right ride.
3. The Long wheelbase models ride amazingly better than the short wheelbase. Drove a 160 petrol auto LWB a few hundred miles and not at all bad.

But if you can run to the new model it is an amazing improvement in many ways.

OP
S

Suki

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W251, S211 320 cdi Avantgarde (2005), W202 250 td (now sold), W245 with lots of extras
Hi Guys,
Thank you for all your comments.
It now transpires that the missus has seen the B class and prefers that instead! I better buy the car soon before she starts looking at the S class!!!
Regards
btw - incase anyone is interested I purchased (from the US - quite expensive) the original WIS cd's that cover the full merc range including a diagnostic reader. (I understand that you can now purchase copies of the cd on ebay very cheaply).
Anyway, I had great trouble installing the software, but it is now working. If anyone else had any trouble I am happy to help and avoid the agonising hours that I wasted!

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom