A Droaning noise from front of the car

daz250

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 e280 estate e300td 1998 estate, 2004 aventgaurde estate
Hello to all :) I am a new member to the forum, i purchased a year 2000 E 320 Class petrol estate, i have had the car for 1 month. The car appears to keep having a droaning noise, so i replaced the middle box and back box, but the noise is still there and it seems that it is coming from the front. When the car is cold it is very quiet. when the car gets to the operating temperature it starts to droan on the excelerating,the middle box and back box was from the main dealer and was £95 cheaper then eurocar parts.if you have any suggestions please let me know. oh i have forgot to mention that i can not hear not apparent blow from the front of the exhaust. many thanks

Last edited:

BlackC55

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C43
Is the noise cyclic?

Could be the prop bearing.

Without hearing it, it will be difficult to voice an opinion

OP
D

daz250

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
thanks for the reply but i dont think its propshaft related as i have free wheeled the car, but there is no apparent noise. it only does it when you put power to the engine. thanks

busby20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLK's 2, CLK320 Cabriolet.
Hello to all :) I am a new member to the forum, i purchased a year 2000 E 320 Class petrol estate, i have had the car for 1 month. The car appears to keep having a droaning noise, so i replaced the middle box and back box, but the noise is still there and it seems that it is coming from the front. When the car is cold it is very quiet. when the car gets to the operating temperature it starts to droan on the excelerating,the middle box and back box was from the main dealer and was £95 cheaper then eurocar parts.if you have any suggestions please let me know. oh i have forgot to mention that i can not hear not apparent blow from the front of the exhaust. many thanks
Is it the missus complaining about your speed ?? mine's droans all the time ! :D :D

hmang

Reaction score
Is it the missus complaining about your speed ?? mine's droans all the time ! :D :D

this is a design fault.

even replacing with a new one only gets rid of the droaning for a short while. !!!!:D

OP
D

daz250

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
thanks for the reply, it only droans when accelerating and when the car is at normal operating temp, it does not do it when the engine is cold.

thanks daz250

mdj8

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL350 R230 2010
This droning noise - I presume sounds like a blowing exhaust drone that changes with engine revs rather than a worn bearing drone because you have replaced the exhaust boxes. If it is more of a blowing exhaust noise then you may have a crack in the manifold, the exhaust pipe where it connects to the manifold or perhaps a broken stud where the manifold is bolted to the head. I had a car that sounded noisy only when it was hot and this was due to a crack which opened when the exhaust system got hot and expanded but closed back up again when the car cooled down. You'll have to check for "blow" with the engine hot and try not to burn yourself. I did this by waiting until the car made the noise and then holding a folded up cloth over the end of the exhaust at the back of the car. As the pressure in the exhaust system increased I heard a hissing noise by which I located the crack before having it welded up.

Last edited:
Top Bottom