A160 Mystery Fuel Problem - Help!

MissL

Reaction score
Has anybody had the same problem as me.....???

Following the countless other problems this A Class has had she has developed another one just before I want to sell it!!

My 2000 A160 Avantgarde has been whiffing of fuel when in 1st 2nd and 3rd. In Jan06 at last service and MOT my mechanic couldn't find any fault. Over the past couple of weeks the problem has got a lot worse and now stinks of fuel especially if any of the fans are on / vents are open. It has been back to the garage and they managed to recreate the problem and have changed the jubilee clips on the fuel filter. This has stopped it for a week now the problem is back.

I am determined not to visit my local MBdealership as all 5 that I have dealt with previouslty have proved their complete lack of customer service, overcharging, etc etc suffice to say I would never ever buy a Merc again.

If anybody has had a similar problem with their A Class or knows what could be the cause I'd be grateful of any guidance :)

Alfie

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.comand.co.uk
Your Mercedes
A150 manual, smart forTwo, W205 AMG line premium plus.
MissL said:
Has anybody had the same problem as me.....???

Following the countless other problems this A Class has had she has developed another one just before I want to sell it!!

My 2000 A160 Avantgarde has been whiffing of fuel when in 1st 2nd and 3rd. In Jan06 at last service and MOT my mechanic couldn't find any fault. Over the past couple of weeks the problem has got a lot worse and now stinks of fuel especially if any of the fans are on / vents are open. It has been back to the garage and they managed to recreate the problem and have changed the jubilee clips on the fuel filter. This has stopped it for a week now the problem is back.

I am determined not to visit my local MBdealership as all 5 that I have dealt with previouslty have proved their complete lack of customer service, overcharging, etc etc suffice to say I would never ever buy a Merc again.

If anybody has had a similar problem with their A Class or knows what could be the cause I'd be grateful of any guidance :)

I had the same problem as this on an A160 but the smell was only noticeable when pulling up to stop and when the car was left outside overnight!

Never did find the cause! sorry.

mattkh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A160 W168 1999 1.6
Replace the rubber hose that connects the fuel line to the engine. The hose is close to the oil flter.

aaron6155

Reaction score
Website
www.stewart-wisbey.co.uk
if you still have problems with the fuel smell change the fuel filter complete with attached charcole filter, his can be brought as a complete unit from the main dealer, not sure why it causes problems but when changing just the fuel filter this often happens.

Micman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C180K Avantgarde SE
Me too!

Hi,

You just reminded me of yet another problem I too had with my Aclass!

Mine was a six year old A190 Avantguard when it started to smell of fuel coming in through the vents. It would normally do it when I came to a standstill after driving for a while - eg. at traffic lights!

It was most annoying and my local independent never could find a fault, the car was running fine.

Must admit it developed this fault just at the time I was planning to sell it... I just traded it in!!

Last edited:

mattkh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A160 W168 1999 1.6
Now now..The A class is a lovely car to drive with bags of room when you want to use it as van.

M

merthman

this car does have bags of room, but i would like to drive it for more the 3 months a year as i find its breaks down more than it goes. may be i should rent it out as storage

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom