"ABS And ESP currently unavailable - see owners manual" on Dash

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
I started car yesterday and got the above message.
Pressed ESP button .. no change. Restarted it and got the same message.
Read manual ..
Says "self diagnostic is not yet complete, the brake system is functioning normally.
Carefully drive the car , manouveing the vehicle moving the vehicle to the left and right until the message disappears"

So drove off, and almost instantly the dashboard message went away, and no messages was displayed.

Did what the manual said a short drive, and then stopped car, started and everything back to normal. :-/
Restarted 4 times all perfect. :):)

This morning car starts no message. All perfect. :):)

As the manual also had a section below the above instructions ... with a separate blank box on the left. Basically saying ABS and ESP were deactivated due to undervoltage, i.e. the car was not being charged properly.
So I tested this morning, engine idling, straight to 14.2V ... so for me thats fine , and discount that possibility? As not relevant to my issue.?

Put the car on the MBII
OBDII - this car has no faults
Go to "Benz" auto diagnositcs result is .... 'No Fault Codes"
Go into individual sections on ESP all clear no fault codes , then checked ABR (thats the ABS Stuff) "No Fault codes"
Then Look under Stored Fault Codes for ABR and ESP and see 3 stored faults
RL ABS Sensor - "visual inspection"
RR ABS Sensor - "visual inspection"
FR ABS Sensor - "visual inspection"
Cleared the codes and they all clear

Restart car, drive it, all clear, no Warnings on dash, no messages.
Retested with MBII " No fault codes" and "No stored Fault Codes"

I therefore only conclude it hadn't completed its self diagnostic ... and all is OK.

I assume the words after the fault codes "visual inspection" is what iCarsoft recommend?
Note when I had that faulty door mirror heater it just said OL ...

I only ask as its going to MBS on Thursday and its quite a drive. 75 miles. If they were say 10 miles away I wouldn't even mention it. Unless it recurred.

Other things That may have caused it.

1. Used Autoglyms Rubber, Vynl and plastic cleaner on the engine yesterday, including the electrical plastic connectors. Wiped them with a microfibre cloth with this on it ... including the terminal going into the ABS unit.
Note it says you can generously spray it on a slightly warm engine to leave a high gloss finish. So I assume thats OK.
So I discounted that.

2. I have been trying to get rid of break squeaks and have used "more" than recommended MB Grey paste on the back of the front pads and more than one should of coppa slip on the rear pads.
Only mentioned this as I read ABS sensors, sometimes dont like coppa slip, and can give false readings???
I also saw one U Tube video with a filthy reluctor ring and sensor. But kinda discounted that, as its separated from the pads area by the wheel carrier dust cover plate ( but the rear has some open sections)
But I dont think I used enough coppa slip to have that leaking anywhere like onto the sensor.

My gut feel is just to put it down to a computer glitch and forget it, and only bother if it returns.
Seems daft to go to all the trouble to clean the sensors and reluctor rings if the fault has cleared.
Or am I being negligently optimistic ?

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Read manual ..
Says "self diagnostic is not yet complete, the brake system is functioning normally.
Carefully drive the car , manouveing the vehicle moving the vehicle to the left and right until the message disappears"
The simple fact it states this in the manual says its nothing to be concerned about.

If the message were

"ABS And ESP currently unavailable - visit workshop"

then that would be a different thing altogether.

OP
Submariner1

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
The simple fact it states this in the manual says its nothing to be concerned about.

If the message were

"ABS And ESP currently unavailable - visit workshop"

then that would be a different thing altogether.
Pretty much my view.
I was more intrigued why it threw 3 fault codes, can only assume they hadnt completed the self diagnostics.

Blimey the electronics in this vehicle are seriously complicated.

Top Bottom