Abuse Enquiry - HMG fines itself!

davemercedes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007 Merc 220 CDi Est Auto Av (s203)
You couldn't make this up if you tried...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-40610167

The nuts and bolts is that the Home Office has been fined £366,900 for breaking its own paycap for paying the "inquiry chief" when it appointed the head of a child sex abuse inquiry. It has has been beset by problems since its inception with its first two chairs, Lady Butler-Sloss and Dame Fiona Woolf, stepping down before beginning their work. The inquiry's chief lawyer, Ben Emmerson, resigned last year but Prof Jay has insisted it is continuing with its work.

In short - more waste of our (= taxpayers) money!

I know the ins and outs are complex - the enquiry is now up to it's fourth chair but frankly I pay taxes to prevent such shambolic processes. I expect to see that situations like this are dealt with by my parliamentary representatives - legally, PROFESSIONALLY and properly!

Last edited:

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
What you should take from this is that checks and balances in the public sector are working and importantly we are getting to hear about it when they do.

Working on a child abuse inquiry has to be one of the most soulless depressing professions.

Hopefully some useful reforms will come out of this.

The problems are not so much governmental but societal, thankfully we have moved issues like these out of the shadows.

OP
davemercedes

davemercedes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007 Merc 220 CDi Est Auto Av (s203)
Oh yes, it's so "out in the open" that we can read how this particular enquiry which was set up by Theresa May in 2014 has lurched from catastrophe to catastrophe and the article above covers a fine in respect of the appointment of it's fourth chairman. According to an article in the Telegraph in October 2016 a "wildly optimistic" cost of this total shambles (to the taxpayer of course!) is £100M (so it must be nearly £200M in reality!). One victim's group (the second one to withdraw their support) withdrew amidst claims that the enquiry is not fit for purpose saying victims have been ‘totally marginalised’ from the process.

But never mind, a lot of people have had a "nice little earner" with their over-hyped salaries and allowances so it must be good for the economy! The fine also relates to the pay of the inquiry's three panel members one of whom, Drusilla Sharpling, received a basic salary of £152,424 in 2015-6. Not bad - gizza job and I'll come out of retirement!

I think the final joke in the story is the fine itself - essentially the government has been fined by the government - presumably they will now incur further costs in settling the fine with government/taxpayers money being transferred back to themselves while the victims continually have nothing and don't really look as though they ever will - so much for "some useful reforms will come out of this..

Sorry, society absolutely did not control this shambles.
- `Neither did the 3 past chairpersons and most importantly, the government.

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
Wooden dollars. I bet there's a big budget bunfight going on.

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
The abuse is a societal problem,
she who must be obeyed has chaired hearings the bottom of the moral barrel takes a lot of expensive scraping.
It is simply not possible to run these things in an efficient manner your "star witness" will disappear mid hearing, the perps will lie through their very expensive legal reps endlessly.
The "rights lawyers " will circle and people will sniff compensation from a thousand yards.
The real victims will range from basket cases to people who think whats happened to them is normal.

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom