Adjusting Headlamps for Driving in Europe

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
Headlamps with projection system (vehicles with halogen, xenon or full LED headlamps) ....

Model 216, model 211 with Intelligent Light System and model 207 and model 212 up to 30.11.09 (YoM 09/2) with bi-xenon headlamps are adjusted using STAR

Model 172, 207 and model 212 as of 1.12.09 (YoM 09/2), model 204.0/2/3 with Intelligent Light System and model 218 with full LED headlamps, adjustment is done using the cluster menu.

Model 172 and 204.9 with halogens are adjusted using the range controller (must be checked with headlamp aimer)

Model 204.0/2 as of YoM 11/1 and model 204.3 with halogen headlamps, no headlamp adjustment is necessary!

All others are done using the levers inside the light unit.

Last edited:

V6Matty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212/2010/E350 (His) W246/2016/B200 (Hers)
Excellent info, not what i wanted to hear as i go to europe on saturday though oh well off to Halfords to buy those silly stickers then :D

sparkermerc

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 Blue Efficiency CDI Sport Estate/2011/2043CC
Adjusting Halogen headlamps for travel in Europe

Hi, Can u tell me exactly why no adjustment is required if halogen headlamps are fitted please?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Hi, Can u tell me exactly why no adjustment is required if halogen headlamps are fitted please?

There is no adjustment that can be done with these, only the projector Halogens, you must use the external stickers

OP
whitenemesis

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05

Only info from the Owner's handbook is..

"Vehicles with halogen headlamps

It is not necessary to switch your headlamps to symmetrical dipped beam when driving in countries where vehicles are driven on the opposite side of the road to the country in which the vehicle is registered. Legal requirements are fulfilled without switching the headlamps to symmetrical dipped beam."

Must admit I'd like to know how this is achieved!

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Then it should advise that in the handbook ...

But everyone knew this some years back before Xenons came along.

There is the difficulty of fitting the plastic strips on some lamps

sparkermerc

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Am a 'first-time' MB owner and struggling with the Owner's Handbook. I interpreted the section stating that halogen lamps need no adjustment when driving in Europe -(and the above root Thread making the same statement) - and naturally assumed that there is no need for me to take any action concerning adjusting headlamps when driving abroad. The word necessary, surely, means just that - take the car and somehow the lights are magically adjusted for wherever you are driving. Maybe the 'Intelligent Light System' can identify from which side of the road approaching high-beam lighting is coming? Sounds daft I know, but you never know. Anyway, my C220 is not fitted with the Intel Light Sys, so I was curious to know exactly how halogen lamps deal with problem. I still think there is some doubt - who are the experts that might provide a conclusive answer?

Second point - leading from the Owner's Handbook - I am having problems identifying just which of the systems described in the handbook apply to my vehicle! Does anyone have a complete list of the 'standard' fittings on a particular MB model?

Third point - from a newbie - my V5 describes the Type of vehicle as a 204K; is this the terminology I should use on this website; and does anyone know what the 204 and the K mean please?

OP
whitenemesis

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
The "experts" on the light question must be the dealership.. It may simply be that the newer halogen lights have a symmetrical beam pattern and so suitable for driving on either side of the road.

If you post up your VIN in this thread some kind soul here will be able to provide the car's datacard listing all options fitted at the factory. Your dealer is also able to do this. The card may also be included in the docs that came with the car.

Regards the 204K I read that as 204 being an abbreviation of the capacity and the K meaning kompressor? You model would usually be known as a S204. S= estate and 204 being the MB model identifier. More info here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template:Mercedes-Benz_vehicles

sparkermerc

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hi whitenemesis:
Thank for reply - the idea of the halogen lamps having a symetrical beam pattern seems entirely reasonable, do we have any indies (is this Independent Service Centres?) as Community Members who may be able to confirm this idea.
The link to MB models was most informative, thank you.
I will post my Vin on the listed thread and see what happens.
Regards, and thanks again

MarkSSL

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Eclass E320CDi Avantgarde Estate 2008
STAR????

Please could you remind me what "STAR" means?:confused:

Thanks

Model 216, model 211 with Intelligent Light System and model 207 and model 212 up to 30.11.09 (YoM 09/2) with bi-xenon headlamps are adjusted using STAR

OP
whitenemesis

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
Please could you remind me what "STAR" means?:confused:

Thanks

STAR is the Mercedes Diagnostic system (computer) used to trouble-shoot, code and set-up the cars

Made_in_Stuttgart

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211 E320 CDI
Ill be going to the Geneva Motorshow next year in my W211. It has bi-xenon headlights. I bet there is a charge for changing them for use in Europe if STAR is involved! ****** hell...

Spannaz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Kia Sedona 08
Ill be going to the Geneva Motorshow next year in my W211. It has bi-xenon headlights. I bet there is a charge for changing them for use in Europe if STAR is involved! ****** hell...

be in the same boat then! I got a holiday in France booked for next June, bet i'll get stung to turn them over.......then again when i return!!!

BachelorDays

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2000 w210 E240 91k (Nov13)
I always thought one advantage of HIDs is that they are anti-glare and hence no need to adjust for the Continent.

I go into France quite often. I've never been stopped for the lights either on the motorways or in a city.

I carry the spare bulb set, emergency jacket, etc because I think not having these could get you into trouble if there was a breakdown or if you were stopped for something else such as speeding.

Has anyone actually been caught for lack of stickers on their HIDs?

brandwooddixon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S63 Coupe 2014
Factory fitted Bi-Xenons usually have a lever inside the lamp unit that is used to change the beam pattern to symetrical or not.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Factory fitted Bi-Xenons usually have a lever inside the lamp unit that is used to change the beam pattern to symetrical or not.

Angry motorist yes, police no

mikestrivens

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 W124 320TE, 1998 R129 SL500, 2016 Triumph Tiger 800 XCx
However, nowadays I prefer to be enjoying the delights of French hotels and their food during the hours of darkness rather than driving anywhere.

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom