1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Adjusting Headlamps for Driving in Europe

Discussion in 'Electrics, Vacuum, Ignition and ECU' started by whitenemesis, Jul 31, 2012.

1. Nick UK Spain

Nick UK Spain New Member

Your Mercedes:
    ML350 SPORT CDI BLUEEFF / 2011 / 2987 CC
    2011 ML350 SPT CDI BLUEFF (164) - ADJUSTMENT FOR EUROPE

Hello everyone,

Do you know if I can adjust my headlamps for Europe without having to change them as this is quite pricey.

Thanks for your help.

Nick

2. LostKiwi

LostKiwi Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    '93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240, 02 R230 SL500 (Malcolm Spec), 04 Smart Roadster Coupe
    Is this for permanent use in Spain or just holiday use? Pretty sure that legally for permanent use you would have to swap the units for right hand traffic versions.

3. Craiglxviii

Craiglxviii Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    W215 CL500 Garage Queen; W211 E320 Avantgarde Estate Designo Edition
    By 2011 it MIGHT be possible to change beam pattern to symmetrical in the DIS menu. I know it went to this in the MY12 onwards E class.

4. Gkinghorn

Gkinghorn Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    E350 CDI Cabriolet - 2011
    My 2011 has it in the dash display .no need to fiddle with the lights manually ..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

5. bkilshaw

bkilshaw Registered

Your Mercedes:
    C Class 250 TD Elegance 1998
    I've just bought a C-Class C220 Cdi Blue Efficiency Estate 2013.
    My wife and I live in France, we're trying to sell our property - which is why we bought an RHD car - but things are moving very slowly so I'm going to have to "import" it and register it here in France.
    We took it to the dealer to get a "Certificate of Conformity" to start the registration process and he tells me that I need to replace the headlights - at a cost or around €950.
    Reading the manual suggests my current lights can be adjusted for France and when I look at them there's a screw type fitting on the top of each one with an "R/L" label which suggests even further that I can have them adjusted.

Does anyone know if that is an option?
    TIA

6. towat

towat Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    W208 CLK 320
    Sod em they should drive on the proper side of the road like us.

Wighty likes this.
  7. LostKiwi

LostKiwi Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    '93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240, 02 R230 SL500 (Malcolm Spec), 04 Smart Roadster Coupe
    HiDs are actually worse for glare.
    The science behind this....

HiDs operate typically at between 4300K and 5000K (unless they are silly aftermarket sh*t that will usually operate at 6000K to 8000K 'cos the look cool when blue innit bruv'.
    This puts the light output put closer to the blue end of the spectrum compared to halogens (typically 2900K to 4300K). Colours towards blue are more prone to scatter as a result of dirt on the lens, dust, rain, snow or fog.
    The scatter is undesirable as the light is then uncontrolled by the lens and can (and does) cause glare. Added to this HiDs operate at far higher light output than halogens thus not only is there more light scatter but its also brighter which aggravates the issue.

Old gits amongst us will recall french cars having yellow headlights (referred to as selective yellow). This was for exactly this reason. Yellow being a long way in the colour spectrum from blue scatters less and hence creates less glare.

LEDs are a mid ground between halogen and HiD. Whilst they tend to operate at 5000K to 6000K (even closer to the blue end of the spectrum) they don't have the light output of HiDs.

8. Craiglxviii

Your Mercedes:
    Except they do now Alastair ;) and in fact the new stuff is only prevented from far exceeding HiD flux density by there not being a need for it. 25k lm lamps could go into service tomorrow with no problems if there was a call.

Oh, and pick your colour temperature, colour bins from 2700K to 12000K, roll up roll up!

9. Mr Filipov

Mr Filipov Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    2014 BMW 530d Gran Turismo
    Sod them? You are the ones that are backwards to most of Europe mate. Why don't you lot switch to the correct side to make things for import/export of cars?

10. Craiglxviii

Your Mercedes:
    Because we are the bit of Europe that Napoleon DIDN'T successfully invade, and thus didn't force to ride horses and drive carriages on the wrong side of the road to remind them who was the boss.

Before 1787 everyone rode on the left. Kept the sword hand (right hand) free and on the correct side to engage an oncoming threat.

No, that's not made up and yes, that's the real reason. Left hand drive has a number of disadvantages when compared to eye- dominance distribution and a few other things.

11. LostKiwi

LostKiwi Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    He didn't invade China either as far as I'm aware.... nor the USA...nor South America (where all bar one country drive on the right), nor Africa (where all the northern countries drive on the right whereas the southern ones drive on the left)...

Funnily enough it pretty much only countries that were part of the British Empire (Japan excepted) that still drive on the left (USA excepted).

[​IMG]

12. towat

towat Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    W208 CLK 320
    It's amazing that so much of the world can be so wrong, didn't ltaly and Sweden drive on the left until relatively recent times?

13. LostKiwi

LostKiwi Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    Not sure about Italy but Sweden yes....
    Malcolm will try and tell you they did the buses and trucks one weekend and the cars the next weekend....;)

Funnily enough Britain was the undisputed master of the seas but guess what the rules are for shipping lanes/rivers/canals..... Yep - Keep right!

14. Mr Filipov

Mr Filipov Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    2014 BMW 530d Gran Turismo
    Oh and how can one forget the miles, yards, inches, MPG. The f*****g MPG! Why can't people be normal and do it in l/100 like most of europe yet again???

15. Craiglxviii

Your Mercedes:
    That is because countries other than those of the Empire were either French allies (America, Spain, Italy), colonies of French allies (North Africa, South America) or just decided to go along with the flow, like Sweden in the late 60s or early 80s when they changed sides one weekend.

16. Craiglxviii

Your Mercedes:
    Litres and metres didn't get man to the moon :p

Seriously, everyone in the world used the same system until the Revolutionary French dicided to add science to everything.

I notice that the Revolutionary calendar didn't stay in favour though, why can't we decimalize the year? I wouldn't mind a spot of Thermidor right now I can tell you.

17. Craiglxviii

Your Mercedes:
    Do you know why that is?

Predominantly right-handedness means that the natural instinct for helmsmen to avoid an oncoming anything, or obstacle, is to put the right hand down. It's a weird thing, we see the same in pilots. This is why aircraft carriers have the island on the right side, if a pilot is pulling a bolter the instinct is to bank right. If the island is to the left (only one carrier was built this way, Japanese) this resulted in many aircraft smashing their tail booms off and crashing... so keep right/ turn demonstrably to starboard in emergency is the rule at sea.

18. rf065

rf065 Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    SLC300 - C250d Estate 4 Matic & Z900rs
    Correct, and is also the reason all m/cycle side stands are on the left even when sold in countries that drive on the right!

Russ

19. LostKiwi

LostKiwi Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    So why not apply that to driving?

20. Craiglxviii

Your Mercedes:
    Because Napoleon didn't invade us; and there are a few physiological advantages to driving on the left that don't apply to flight operations :p