1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Adjusting Headlamps for Driving in Europe

Discussion in 'Electrics, Vacuum, Ignition and ECU' started by whitenemesis, Jul 31, 2012.

1. C350Carl

C350Carl Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    2013 E250 CDI AMG Sport Estate
    I don't know where you have got the info from about below 12k. But it's wrong!

An F16 (or any other fast jet for that matter) can not do the job as well as a Hog. For a start it can't fly as slow so can't operate as low nor is it built to withstand as much as the A10. An F16's only use for CAS is to drop ordnance or conduct a SoF. It can't do strafing runs anywhere near as effectively (it can do them but not as precise or as intense). It was tried to be killed off because of the expense of keeping it going and the cost of developing a new version. They are currently keeping it in service as the need for CAS will remain, even in a modern battlefield. It is also very useful in COIN ops as the Gun is the easiest to achieve a 0/0 CDE vs Brimstone or any other bomb. They are however looking at a replacement and they are looking at employing the same design idea. I.E build the plane around the gun.

Anyway we are waaaaay off topic now. Planes, Helo's and Ships don't have to worry about headlights in Europe. :p

2. Craiglxviii

Craiglxviii Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    W215 CL500 Garage Queen; W211 E320 Avantgarde Estate Designo Edition
    From the blokes who are working on the policies behind phasing the A-10 out of service. Right ok, where to start. NB here I'm talking about near-peer and NOT COIN Ops, they have a different conops as well you know. All data here is UNCLASS.

The airspace below 12k' give or take is pretty much totally closed off. We (RAF) never bought into this until we started losing Tonkas over Iraq. It has been effectively closed off since around 1945 only that wasn't fully appreciated until the Cousins started piling Tac a/c into Vietnam and got some rather rude lessons in return. They key to it is the interaction of MANPADS and LAA. small arms- 14.5mm effectively close the airspace upto around 5k. These weapons are cheap, ammunition is cheap and they don't need to be aimed even- they just need to fill a patch of sky with barrage fire at a particular time. That is because strike aircraft have to come in through various (usually well known) routes, those routes can be further defined by own-side threats such as fighter BARCAP etc. So what the Vietnamese (and ze Germans before them, who they took the lessons from) learnt was that low-flying aircraft can be brought down by having an observer with a stopwatch at various points with a radio or telephone to an LAA battery, pointing to a predetermined point in the sky (their choke point). As soon as the inbound strike flies over the observer, he knows they're doing (say) 450kts, he is a known flight distance from the battery, he calls them up and says "Open fire in 15 seconds". The battery don't even need to know what to aim at, they just brass up the sky. This can be further enhanced by the use of very simple expedients such as wires strung off pylons- the first F-111 sortie (6 ship) lost 3 a/c, 2 to LAA and 1 to a wire strung across a valley that took its vertical stab off. So, that's low level. We and the Swedes especially really bought into low level- we don't anymore.

Now raise that above 5000'. This brings us into the realms of MANPADS and battlefield SAM gun/ missile systems. Everything from STINGER to RAPIER to PATRIOT and the various Combloc stuff. Now we see an interesting thing when it comes to anti-aircraft missiles, ground or air based. Plot their variant date of design versus kill probability and we get a linear trend. Well several dependent on seeker type. E.g. the newer the missile the more likely it is to hit the target it is employed against. The increased visibility horizon at around 5k' allows more time for the missile operator to acquire, track and fire and not enough for the pilot to deploy countermeasures. So, one has to get out of range of those weapons which takes us to the 12-15k' bracket...

So once we get to here, standoff weapons become the in thing. Aircraft have enough time to take warning of missile launch and employ countermeasures, ECM pods which are of very little use below 500-1k' due to the limited horizon become much more effective. Guns cannot be employed for strafing runs due to the altitude, but then don't need to be because they place unnecessary risk on the (very expensive) strike platform.

Case in point, look at A-10 ops outside of COIN. Almost all taking place in the medium altitude bracket... why?

All these issues apply to attack helis too.

3. C350Carl

C350Carl Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    2013 E250 CDI AMG Sport Estate
    Craig,

I'll continue the discussion with by text/PM. But tactical low level sorties will still continue, even in modern warfare unless NATO went to war with itself. Then it would continue once Air Superiority has been achieved by whoever.

4. paalw

paalw New Member

Your Mercedes:
    w211
    Hi there, first of all sorry if my question has already been answered in this thread, I have not read all the 9 pages.

I have a 2006 SL55 AMG with Xenon. Are these programmable with STAR, or is there any adjustment inside the headlights?

I have a japanese car with original left hand traffic beam pattern, and I have imported it to Europe so I need to change the assymetrical pattern to either flat or opposite of what it is now (both is ok here from government point of view).

Or do I need to buy new headlights? That sounds ugh...expensive...

5. Bogdan Cazacu

Bogdan Cazacu New Member

Your Mercedes:
    E220/2015/2.1
    I`m confused , i have a 2015 e220. I`m going to Europe ,do i need to put those stickers on or not ?

6. LostKiwi

LostKiwi Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    '93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240, 02 R230 SL500 (Malcolm Spec), 04 Smart Roadster Coupe
    I'd be surprised. If you have Xenon lights there will be a little lever (hard to see but it's there) to activate a shutter to change the beam cut off. If you have ILS its set in software I believe and tweaked in the menu system.

7. Wighty

Wighty Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
    Does your cars in car manual give any advice/options

8. Bogdan Cazacu

Bogdan Cazacu New Member

Your Mercedes:
    E220/2015/2.1
    It says that the Intelligent Headlights adjusts automatically on the road/motorway & weather conditions , but i want to check with somebody that faced this problem in the past
    It is not about lack of knowledge , it's about a second opinion !

9. Wighty

Wighty Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
    No doubting your knowledge buddy , I didn't know if you had checked the manual from your first post . Good luck with finding a way to alter them , I've resorted to stickers after spending over 2 hours these last couple of year trying to find any levers on both my cars .

10. rf065

rf065 Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    SLC300 - C250d Estate 4 Matic & Z900rs
    Intelligent light system requires to be changed through the menu from left-hand driving right hand driving

11. Craiglxviii

Your Mercedes:
    On the facelifted 212 this is done using the centre display and joywheel thingy.

12. Craiglxviii

Your Mercedes:
    Remove the rear cap on the back of the headlamp and feel inside, there will be a little (very thin wire) lever, Push it up or down, whichever way it will move and it in turn moves a cutoff beam shade into place. It's only on one headlamp.