Advice - Buying a 300SL

Kiwibins

Reaction score
Hi there

I want advice on a 1991 300SL. Done 83k miles. I want to swap my 1980 450SL LHD (120k miles) for the 300SL. Assuming they are both in good condition for their respective ages what price is each worth? If I did a swap what would be the cash difference (if indeed any)?

Is the 300SL any good as a car? Need to move the 450 as my wife won't drive a LHD car and I want to export the car to NZ (who don't like LHD's).

Thanks awfully
Greg

kit820

Reaction score
These cars are very well built and 83k is still pretty young for a car like this. Having said that, if you were going to export it to New Zealand, would it not be a better idea to look for one there or in Australia instead of going through all the issues with exporting/importing. Better climate there means good news to the bodywork.

Failing that, there are in fact a lot of good conditioned mercedes of similar age here in Hong Kong with often very low mileage, FSH, and pristine bodywork. Shipping to New Zealand from HK would also be cheaper and quicker. A good condition 300SL of this age should go for around 125,000 HKD/ just over 9,200 GBP from a trader. 66 GBP would get you a full AA vehicle inspection.

Despite being perfectly capable of modern motoring, these cars are also pretty straight forward to maintain.

OP
K

Kiwibins

Reaction score
Actually I am going to NZ in about 12 months. Still need a car in the meantime!

Greg

Myros

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R107, S211, R170, C219
500 Sl

is what you need. You might as well do it big time. The fuel consumption differences aren't as great as you'd think. I'd recommend a 107 though, simpler to work on, less electrics to go wrong.

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom