Advice please on "resting" my car for two months

Srdl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC43 AMG 2018 (X253)
After my near disastrous dive from a ladder into my neighbours garden last week which I have mentioned on other threads, it looks as though my car will not be used for at least eight weeks; at least two weeks while I am in hospital and then another six weeks while I am at home in a full body brace and I have been advised that it would be dangerous to drive or be a passenger during that time (even a minor accident could cause major damage to my back).

SWMBO won't drive it and I wouldn't want her to even try and get it out of the garage! So I plan to put on the battery conditioner which I use occasionally in the winter during cold weather. Is there anything else I should consider or should a two month break not be a problem for the car ?

umblecumbuz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 and CLC 204 cdi, MX5, Kia Soul
Have to confess that when we are in Gozo, usually over the winter period in the UK, I just leave one car in the garage without doing any 'resting' prep. Only once has it failed to start on the button several months later. A quick check-over before use, but no other noticeable ill-effects.

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
I started a resting car yesterday. It was last run on 29th May. Not on a charger...started first turn of the key.

davemercedes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007 Merc 220 CDi Est Auto Av (s203)
I rested SWMBOs car (Renault) for about 4.5 months a couple of years ago. Because it does very little mileage anyway, 3-4 years ago I ran a cable with a one-way (positive/negative) socket on it sits in the wheel arch that I connect into an automatic charger (like the Draper one above) to keep it topped up. I started it up half way through just to blow out any "cobwebs" (happily, it fired up first time). I really don't know if that's necessary but it seemed like a good idea...

OP
Srdl

Srdl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC43 AMG 2018 (X253)
Thank you guys. The only reason I was concerned was the battery, like the car, is now seven years old. It only let me down once a few winters ago when I had not used it for a few weeks in very cold weather.

We use my wife's Mini as our daily run around so the Merc usually only does longer journeys and we have done quite a few of those recently so I expect the battery will be pretty good at the moment. So I will just put on the conditioner when I'm able to, just to keep it healthy, and take off the handbrake to be on the safe side.

Thanks all

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom