Aftermarket HU thoughts

ZZZZ

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I have now all but discounted, the idea of fitting an NTG2.5 COMAND in my A200 C169, as it'll be basically replacing an ancient technology (Audio 20 NTG2), with a medieval one (COMAND NTG2.5) for an awful lot of money, considering it'll be a used unit (a brand new one costs about half the car's worth, if not more).

Therefore, the choices are:

• Brand name aftermarket 6.5" head unit with a 169 'fascia', and most likely, an additional, inner frame;
  • Model-specific (W169) Chinese 7" head unit, looking very similar to the Mercedes OE design, from the likes of Xtrons or Erisin;
  • Model-specific, Chinese 9" head unit from Erisin, with a larger screen, taking advantage of the entire space available for the HU in W169.

Option 1 would provide a better quality, at a significantly higher price, but would look very aftermarket and untidy - I hate those multi-frame setups.

Option 2 is practically indistinguishable from the original Mercedes COMAND unit, and with 8-core processor and 2GB memory should be alright.

Option 3 is not pretending to be a Mercedes unit, and yet offers a large, custom fitted screen, and looks very modern. I also like the fact that, it doesn't have a DVD drive, so no moving parts and better heat management.

I've done a mock-up of the option 3, and, to my surprise quite like it - considering the interior is already modified, it doesn't look out of place:

35313042453_9c71fd434c_o.jpg

current interior

36121224485_3b7871c6dd_o.jpg

old pic, interior is not finished, but better view of the head unit

And yes, I know - it'll be a bit of a gamble quality-wise, however I looked at statistics, and bad as some of them are, a good proportion of these Chinese units works fine.

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
I like the look of that

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
That looks pretty good I'd say!
The only issue with Chinese units is in getting aftersales support if needed. The units are pretty much disposable.
With a branded one you have the option of getting them fixed if necessary.

OP
Z

ZZZZ

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I like the look of that

Yes, I never thought I would like it, and was just looking at OE lookalikes, but it sort of fits with the rest of the interior bits ...

That looks pretty good I'd say!
The only issue with Chinese units is in getting aftersales support if needed. The units are pretty much disposable.
With a branded one you have the option of getting them fixed if necessary.

Thanks Alastair, and yes I know, it'll be pretty much disposable, as you said.
I might be able to fix small issues, but anything serious, and it's bin and forget ...
If only there was a model-specific branded unit. The closest is Pioneer with a custom frame, but it still looks ... well, aftermarket.

On the other hand, I had an Xtrons in my old car for four years, and it never gave me any problems (apart from inability to display long filenames - it was a while ago).

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
Yes, I never thought I would like it, and was just looking at OE lookalikes, but it sort of fits with the rest of the interior bits

It doesn't look out of place at all, blends well and a nice big display

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 639 Viano- 651, 5sp Auto. 2009 S211- 646, 5sp Auto.
I've the 8" version for the Vito from Erisin, as you know they're all singin' and dancin'. For the dosh I certainly can't complain.
Android 6.0 Car DVD GPS DAB+ Sat-Nav Mercedes Benz A/B Class Sprinter Vito Viano | eBay

I've not bothered with DTV and DAB, or 3g connectivity but if I wanted regular traffic updates would consider that.
The IGO for Android is excellent.
The reverse camera excellent.
I downloaded Autoboy for the dashcam. The updated version of that seems to work better than the previous, we'll see. The camera is a neat unit but not highest quality.
Mini 720P USB Car DVR Camera Video Recorder Dash Cam Night Vision Easy Install | eBay

As I remember the 9" guts were pretty much as the 8", and as you say who needs a DVD nowadays as a flippin' big SD card stores more than I care to search for, so if I needed I would opt for that next.

Erisin have done ok by me over the years, although I prefer to take their stock from the UK so as not to be posting any faulty stuff to China, and also chancing import duty. If you contact directly they will give a discount for a direct, non Ebay, purchase, if you're happy to be without buyer protection that is. After all they are Chinese so reliability can be questionable and not just the goods, you pays your money.

After thought- Run an external mic into the headlining above your seat, it makes BT use much better.
ES006ZF Universal 3.5mm Jack External Microphone for Car DVD Laptop PC Skype | eBay
you will need to cut off plugs and reconnect though.
More after thought- I stripped the mic out of its plastic surround for it to become a discreet 2-3mm dia.

Last edited:
OP
Z

ZZZZ

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks Martin, that's really good to hear.

I just got a very good deal on a 9" unit, from their UK base (VAT number, etc), 30-day return, 2yr warranty ...
I already have two dashcams, but will perhaps fit a mirror cam, as I'm paranoid about curbing my wheels haha (side mirror doesn't dip automatically on a 169), and a reversing cam - got a Sony hi-res one, integrated into the number light (the old style).

Won't bother with 3G, as my iPhone's 4G will work via built-in WiFi.

It will be interesting to see, how it all looks, when fitted ...

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
My 1st dash cam was within the rear view mirror, actually better quality recording than I have now. This was fitted pre the Android HU.
The tuner was naff, it was after I fitted the new cam and disconnected the old that I learnt that the power of the mirror dash cam was interfering with the FM signal as my tuner amp is sited above the mirror.

Just a thought to be wary of fitting new 12 volt units close to your tuner amp.

And a bit more- I have Torque pro as an app, and with a cheapo BT OBD2 adapter I can interrogate the car with the HU. As the Vito is very limited on instrumentation I generally use it monitor average consumption for economic driving. It's how I monitor engine temp also.

Last edited:

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
do these aftermarket units integrate with the steering wheel controls, or do you lose the steering wheel control functionality?

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Aye they do Pete, they can even respond to canbus light control and reverse select. I've yet to have canbus recognise my upgraded steering buttons though.

OP
Z

ZZZZ

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
do these aftermarket units integrate with the steering wheel controls, or do you lose the steering wheel control functionality?
As Martin said already - they do, particularly the model-specific ones, however to what degree will depend on the actual unit. My instrument cluster is pretty dumb anyway, so all I get is "CD1 Track 4" type of info, as you can see above. I'm not expecting this to change, but the volume controls will work, and I will in fact, get more functions, as say Mute can be assigned to a different button (not available at present on the steering wheel).

There could be some little quirks - like volume changing, when pressing ± even though you're not in playback menu (although I read, this has been addressed in the latest 8-core CPU units, running Android 6.0.1 and later). Anyway, there's a huge menu to assign different functions to buttons, and it actually offers short click and long click, which could be programmed separately.

OP
Z

ZZZZ

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks Martin,

I must confess - I never listen to the radio, the only time I hear it in my car, is when picking it up after service, etc - switched to my music collection sharpish ... ha ha

My old front dashcam will have to be replaced sometime soon - it's five years old, so will look into RF interference then. The present setup, with two dashcams, satnav and GPS tracker all hard-wired is free from any interference, so will probably use the existing harness I put together two years ago.

I read (and seen pics) about Torque Pro, and am definitely getting an ELM327, even though I have a very similar thing in Garmin ecoRoute+ HD, however I don't always have the satnav on, so the Torque Pro will be great.

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
on other cars its rare to get android 5 let alone 6, and I wish the DAB was built in, the chip must be less than £1 each these days (in fact a Chinese nasty ought to be 10p) and they should be 4g these days not 3g

just peddling OLD hardware, on an E90 BMW its taken them about 4 years to almost get the software right

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Interesting comments re the long / short press option for steering button controls, that would be handy and encourages me to find some where that can tell my van I now have the buttons.

I picked up a couple of these for a fiver each some time ago
1x ELM327 OBD2 Bluetooth Car Diagnostic Fault Code Reader Clearer Scanner Tool

It stays plugged in and compared to the more functional larger unit is less likely to be bashed by my right leg.

OP
Z

ZZZZ

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I fitted an OBD-II splitter, so now the Garmin ecoRoute is completely hidden - it's inside the cover under the steering wheel / instrument cluster - it's been knocked off once or twice in my old car, just as you said (and it's a lot bigger than ELM327).

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
I have now all but discounted, the idea of fitting an NTG2.5 COMAND in my A200 C169, as it'll be basically replacing an ancient technology (Audio 20 NTG2), with a medieval one (COMAND NTG2.5) for an awful lot of money, considering it'll be a used unit (a brand new one costs about half the car's worth, if not more).

Therefore, the choices are:

• Brand name aftermarket 6.5" head unit with a 169 'fascia', and most likely, an additional, inner frame;
  • Model-specific (W169) Chinese 7" head unit, looking very similar to the Mercedes OE design, from the likes of Xtrons or Erisin;
  • Model-specific, Chinese 9" head unit from Erisin, with a larger screen, taking advantage of the entire space available for the HU in W169.

Option 1 would provide a better quality, at a significantly higher price, but would look very aftermarket and untidy - I hate those multi-frame setups.

Option 2 is practically indistinguishable from the original Mercedes COMAND unit, and with 8-core processor and 2GB memory should be alright.

Option 3 is not pretending to be a Mercedes unit, and yet offers a large, custom fitted screen, and looks very modern. I also like the fact that, it doesn't have a DVD drive, so no moving parts and better heat management.

I've done a mock-up of the option 3, and, to my surprise quite like it - considering the interior is already modified, it doesn't look out of place:

35313042453_9c71fd434c_o.jpg

current interior

36121224485_3b7871c6dd_o.jpg

old pic, interior is not finished, but better view of the head unit

And yes, I know - it'll be a bit of a gamble quality-wise, however I looked at statistics, and bad as some of them are, a good proportion of these Chinese units works fine.

Actually what really impressed me was the lovely condition of those (crease free seat) :):)
How many miles has she done?

Just a thought ... what would be the view of the majority of purchasers? I.e. Non MB equipment and maintaining them?
Not being negative, as it could work either way.
Oh how I would dearly love built in speed camera warnings visual and audible ....
but with NTG 3 its a no no.

OP
Z

ZZZZ

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Actually what really impressed me was the lovely condition of those (crease free seat) :):)
How many miles has she done?

Ha ha, thanks! It was just under 38,670 miles at the time the picture was taken last month.
It's about 39,200 now.

Just a thought ... what would be the view of the majority of purchasers? I.e. Non MB equipment and maintaining them?
Not being negative, as it could work either way.

Well, I'm not a purist ;) - the whole idea for my Flash••A••Brake business was a mod - I am of the opinion that, the car is there for me to enjoy, and if a non-OEM part / solution offers more, I'm all for it. Functionality, taste and a sense of style is more important for me, than the origin of the part. Some OEM designs could well use an improvement, anyway :)

Oh how I would dearly love built in speed camera warnings visual and audible ....

I actually use a stand-alone Garmin satnav for all these, it's hard-wired, with a permanent dashboard stand, and I will, most likely continue to use it - I like the position much better (in my line of sight, to the right of the instrument cluster), and its list of functions is still impressive, five years on (full voice control, dual bluetooth, ecoRoute OBD, etc, etc).

Don't have a recent pic of it, but here's the stand:

34526608734_8fd70ae96b_o.jpg

Found an old pic (before the steering wheel upgrade):

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
Ha ha, thanks! It was just under 38,670 miles at the time the picture was taken last month.
It's about 39,200 now.

Well, I'm not a purist ;) - the whole idea for my Flash••A••Brake business was a mod - I am of the opinion that, the car is there for me to enjoy, and if a non-OEM part / solution offers more, I'm all for it. Functionality, taste and a sense of style is more important for me, than the origin of the part. Some OEM designs could well use an improvement, anyway :)

I actually use a stand-alone Garmin satnav for all these, it's hard-wired, with a permanent dashboard stand, and I will, most likely continue to use it - I like the position much better (in my line of sight, to the right of the instrument cluster), and its list of functions is still impressive, five years on (full voice control, dual bluetooth, ecoRoute OBD, etc, etc).

Don't have a recent pic of it, but here's the stand:

34526608734_8fd70ae96b_o.jpg

Found an old pic (before the steering wheel upgrade):

Lovely looking.
I only mentioned the non std. thing. As I did mod an SL500 R129 I bought new, with a fabulous Soundstream true 1200 watts Class A Amp, 0.005 TDH. Pure audiophile quality ... and fabulous Dynaudio Speakers and 2x 12" Audiophile Subs in custom detachable boxes on the rear seats. Balanced line to the Amp. Silver plated 4mm2 wires to the speakers, 6mm2 to the subs
Earth Shattering sound and no distortion.
I met the next owner a few months later and asked how he found the stereo? He said he gave all the equipment to an installer in exchange for removing it. :-/ as he wanted more boot space.
I was shell shocked ! The amp cost a £1,000 the door speakers cost £800 and the subs £800. ....
The amp was on the back wall in a slim clear polycarb fan cooled box ... only 2.5" deep!
It didnt put him off paying the asking price. But ....

On the other hand I am in total agreement with you on the philosophy "its my car for my enjoyment" and Mercedes sound systems are utter pants ( well if you know your audio and know what Bryston Amps are .. then you will know what I mean. Especially now as we have HD Master Audio ... but OMG people just want MP3 :(:(:(:( convenience nowadays )
So yes do what you want ... you only live once ...
when my mother was 81 she bought a new C270CDI, and fretted that it was an extravagant waste of money at her age .... as I said to her ... "you cant take it with you" :):):)

OP
Z

ZZZZ

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Wow, that sound system sounds amazing! ;)

I might go for an upgrade at a later stage, but for now what I have, will do ...
Actually the stock subwoofer is not too bad at all (I have option 532 - power sound, extra speakers and subwoofer).

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
you can see and copy the disc used to load the mapping... it wouldn't take that much to find the POI file and add different points... getting it to play a noise could be more of an issue...

a really simple/cute way to see the cameras would be to find one of the layers of garbage POIs no one ever uses (one that has the best icon probably) rip that rubbish out of POI and replace with camera positions. Then you load the new maps with modified POI and off we go...

would take an IT nerd all of around 30 mins worth of work and he could sell it to all of us and make enough money for a decent holiday,

alternatively Merc could give a toss about customers and put the speed limit display, the speed cameras with an audible warning and the name of the petrol stations on the disc (just like the 3.5 system gets - so no actual work or cost to do it !!!) and load a tiny tweak to the firmware it loads next time you spend 160 on a map !!!!

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom