Air in fuel lines on E300 diesel w210

vilhelm

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hyundai ix20 and Mercedes-benz C320 CDI
Hello!
I have a MB E300D -97 that leaked from the fuel lines.
Now I have replaced the old lines with new fresh lines, but the car won´t start. I think it is air in the lines. It is like that car don´t have "power" to push the fuel forward.

It there any way to help this? maybe a manual pump or something?

The battery is very weak, so I have put that on loading... can that be the problem?

I will be very happy if someone could help me to solve this : )

/ Vilhlem

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
The classic way of doing it is to undo the bolt that holds the fuel line in place to the injector a little bit. Crank it until diesel comes out, tighten up. Rinse and repeat on all injectors. I believe there may be a manual pump somewhere but im not sure.

wireman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
nice 201 2.5D 1993 & very nice 129 SL500 1994
If the lines you have replaced are the low pressure ones (from the filter) there should be no need to disturb the injector pipes, air will not have entered them.

You need to crank the engine without pause to get the fuel moving.

The battery must have a full charge or you risk damaging the battery and starter motor.

It may take 30 or more seconds, even a minute to start, keep cranking until it runs cleanly.

I don't think you have a manual pump, you could put one in the fuel line from tank to pre-filter.

Last edited:

robparker

Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
220d (115), 190d (201), c63 (204), 220ce (124)
Remove the fuel filter and fill it with diesel before refitting, then, as above, fresh battery 30 seconds crank, rest for 30 secs, repeat until it starts.

OP
V

vilhelm

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
It stil won't start... But I have manage to make i go for 10 secounds with start-on-spray-can...

I have filled the filter before starting, and that is empty when I check if after trying.

Do you have any more ideas? :D

spock500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
300TD, 1998
Assuming all the pipes ect are ok find the pipe which delivers fuel to the shut off valve.

In the pic below it's the one to the left, from the middle connection on the fuel filter.

Unplug from the solenoid and apply a vacuum until fuel appears then re-connect.

Next, unplug the same pipe from the fuel filter and fill with diesel, use a syringe or turkey baster until full. Re-connect and try.

engine_11_fuel_lines.jpg

stefanheale

New Registration
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E300td W210 1997
No fuel lift pump

It stil won't start... But I have manage to make i go for 10 secounds with start-on-spray-can...

I have filled the filter before starting, and that is empty when I check if after trying.

Do you have any more ideas? :D

There have not been manually operated fuel lift pumps on Benz diesels for over 25 years. They are termed 'self bleeding'. This means you need a good battery and starter motor. Make sure all your fuel lines are reconnected following any work and that you have fuel in the tank. Connect a good battery charger or jump leads from a large, full battery and crank the engine for 30 seconds, stop for 1 minute to allow the starter motor to cool. If you need more than 2 sessions of 30 seconds cranking, increase the cooling period between attempts or you will cook the starter. This procedure is described in your owner's handbook. Best of luck!

OP
V

vilhelm

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The car starts now! It think I was a bit quick to give up trying to start... But finaly I let it took some time (1 minute and 30 secounds or something), and then it started.

So now it starts very easy.

I should add that I have put a new diesel filter... Maybe that helped it to start easier? Because the old filter was more than 10 years I think... So I guess it leaked air...

spock500: You have a really fresh engine : )

Last edited:

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom