Air suspension on E class

Richferrari1969

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E class
Hi all

I'm after a bit of advice. I'm looking at an E class 350 on a 12 plate and I'm being told that it has air suspension. Has anyone had any dealings with this good or bad please. Are there any issues I should be concerned about.

Thanks in advance

Richard

AMGeed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 C180K
Air suspension is lovely. More costly if it goes wrong but not a dealbreaker if you like the car.

When viewing, check the car is level on all corners and test the car raises and lowers on the button a few times.

OP
R

Richferrari1969

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E class
Air suspension is lovely. More costly if it goes wrong but not a dealbreaker if you like the car.

When viewing, check the car is level on all corners and test the car raises and lowers on the button a few times.

Many thanks for the advice much appreciated

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
It is more costly, but there are alternative suppliers other than Mercedes. When my front strut airbag failed (far too long a tale to tell again) Mercedes only supply a complete strut at £800+ but 'only' £500+ exchange, but there are other suppliers e.g. Arnott that supply just the bag.
One of my rear air bags was replaced with an Arnott for iirc £365 fitted at an Indie ..... Mercedes wanted IIRC £500 just for bag. Rear shockers were £400 each from Mercedes, I bought a pair of pattern from Germany for around €400.
I'd certainly not let any potential problems deter me from buying a car I liked.

My car is a R Class though, not E Class

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
Hi Richard, welcome to the forum. Just take the plunge, you certainly won't regret it :)

V6Matty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212/2010/E350 (His) W246/2016/B200 (Hers)
Is it a saloon or estate your looking at? I ask as all estates have rear air suspension as standard

OP
R

Richferrari1969

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E class
It is more costly, but there are alternative suppliers other than Mercedes. When my front strut airbag failed (far too long a tale to tell again) Mercedes only supply a complete strut at £800+ but 'only' £500+ exchange, but there are other suppliers e.g. Arnott that supply just the bag.
One of my rear air bags was replaced with an Arnott for iirc £365 fitted at an Indie ..... Mercedes wanted IIRC £500 just for bag. Rear shockers were £400 each from Mercedes, I bought a pair of pattern from Germany for around €400.
I'd certainly not let any potential problems deter me from buying a car I liked.

My car is a R Class though, not E Class
Thanks for the advice

OP
R

Richferrari1969

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E class
Is it a saloon or estate your looking at? I ask as all estates have rear air suspension as standard
Saloon, I think its an upgrade on this particular one.

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
Mine has it and it is very good, comfort and sport settings give best of both worlds

If the car is a sport model check that the front air strut gaiters are intact, they are very close to the top edge of the tyre and easily damaged if the car is equipped with 245 40 18 tyres on 8.5 rims

Other than that just the advice above make sure it works on all settings and the air pump isn't too noisy

Hope this helps

OP
R

Richferrari1969

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E class
Mine has it and it is very good, comfort and sport settings give best of both worlds

If the car is a sport model check that the front air strut gaiters are intact, they are very close to the top edge of the tyre and easily damaged if the car is equipped with 245 40 18 tyres on 8.5 rims

Other than that just the advice above make sure it works on all settings and the air pump isn't too noisy

Hope this helps
Thanks Malcolm

Top Bottom