1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Air suspension s211 220cdi estate 58 reg

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering & Brakes' started by SHAMGIT, Aug 10, 2018.

1. SHAMGIT

SHAMGIT Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    w211 2008 220cdi
    Went to bed everything good..
    following morning offside rear was down . blew up straight away.
    hasn't gone down since its 4 days and counting any ideas

Thanks in antisipation

2. EmilysDad

EmilysDad Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    R320 2007
    As per other thread .... you need a bottle of soapy water & check the air bag

3. Severnless

Severnless Active Member

Your Mercedes:
    E320 CDI/2007/v6
    Been thinking about this problem with regards one side going down, and I would of thought it’s a sticky valve on the bag itself.
    The height sensor is in the middle of the roll bar so if the car was loaded when you got home, you unload the car (when the car is switched off) as you unload, the rear height will rise therefore the main sensor will demand the bags release air until the correct height, but the one valve has a bit of crud in it therefore it lets the charge out slowly over night.
    When you start the car in the morning, compressor kicks in, re-charges bag on faulty side, so taking it to the correct height. If the valve is still sticky, it will do it all over again, but if you try and cycle the system a few times (if you want some exercise?! load the boot with 3-400kg then start the car, when correct height is reached, with engine off unload it so you can hear it let the air out. Then start over!) or put the car on ramps locate the sensor remove ball socket, start the car then move the sensor up and down you can see how quick it lifts and drops the back end, it might clear the valve it might not, but at least youve tried
    As for a leak on the system or bag, my thinking is, yes it is possible, but unlikely, unless it has been happening for a while, but then you would be looking for a new compressor after burning the old one out.
    Just my musings as I have this system on my car, but I use mine as a posh work van, so I’m loading and emptying the boot most days with tools, plaster and plasterboard, I’ve had the backend on the floor before now with the red warning on the dashboard but once I started the car, within a minute it’s back up to the correct height (I won’t say how much weight!) so you could say I do cycle the system almost daily, touch wood ive not had any grief with that side of the suspension.

Sorry for the ramblings. Hope it helps

4. OP
    SHAMGIT

SHAMGIT Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    w211 2008 220cdi
    Thanks 7
    That's the kind of explanation I was looking for.

The thread just below is for the same vehicle. Son in law.
    We not knowingly did the threads at the same time.
    Have given him a slap and told him not to let it happen again

Botus likes this.