Alcantara wheel cleaning video

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
as title - might seem a touch anal but this is an effective method for those others who have the alcantara steering wheel grip, which flattens over time and absorbs horrendous amount of dirt!

Rotorhead500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Used to have a C63...
Ironically was next on my to-do list... As it was flatter than a witch's flat bits. Hadn't done it for ages.

Completed cleaning & rinsing steps (Autoglym interior fabric cleaner sprayed liberally on the warm wet MF cloth; assisted drying process by gently wrapping & squeezing with kitchen towel (surprising how much more cack was lifted).

Then borrow GF's Barnet blower and a soft nail brush to help dry & lift fibres. Now drying with a bit of sun on windscreen, then cellotape and vacuum treatment.

The before:

Last edited:

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
I have alcantara on my re-trimmed Smart wheel - Its now become one of my pet hates on a car! 451_wheel.jpg

Rotorhead500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Used to have a C63...
Weird isn't it. Looks and feels lovely when it's clean & fresh... But a royal pain in the bewtocks to keep it that way! (I won't be keeping a suede brush in my door pocket and grooming it after each journey!)

Rotorhead500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Used to have a C63...
And after a couple of hours of air drying, and some light brushing... looks & feels much better (although not evident in the pics!)

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
Nappa Leather for me please.
The wood and leather on mine looks extremely smart, but is pretty cold in winter ... :( And is definitely not a "drivers" must have option imo.
Can be pretty slippery on an icy morning :(

Rotorhead500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Used to have a C63...
I'd forgotten how pleasant a freshly fluffed alcantara wheel is to hold!

I may even have to resort to carrying a fluffing tool in the car... :oops:

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom