Alfa Brera repair saga

bembo449

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes Cl500, shitron dispatch
I thought I'd share this with you all as it goes to show that the silliest of things can cause really big head aches when repairing cars
I bought an Alfa Brera 2.4jtd last year and not long after it developed a coolant issue where it would be fine for say 200 miles then all of a sudden the temp gauge would shoot up and all manner of warnings would pop up on the dash , so on finding pressure in the coolant system ( but no loss 0f coolant ) I worked my way through possible causes , thermostat , waterpump , blocked rad , heater matrix non of which were faulty , eventually I realised the head was cracked ( wtf ? ) so after some research I found out that the old alfa 156 2.4jtd head would fit and it was stronger with thicker valves to boot , now this 5 pot engine is very labour intensive to work on so I spread the work out over a few of weeks as there was no real hurry to have it running again , what I didn't bank on was having a month off the spanners due to ill health . Anyway having eventually got it all rebuilt , timed up , it refused to start , triple checked timing , all connections , battery fully charged , plugged in and checked all sensors were working etc but nothing , then it occurred to me how long the fuel had been sat in the fuel filter ( around 10 weeks ) so I emptied it out , topped it up with fresh derv and after a bit of cranking it started ! So it just goes to show that simple things can cause lots a headaches and that one should never forget to check the basics

Westheath

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Empty garage, awaiting new toy :)
Yes seem like they messed up the later heads on the 159 2.4 jtd's with cracks between the valves and glow plugs.

The older 2.4 20v jtd's could take a beating (the 10v 2.4 was a tank engine) especially when remapped but the valves were thicker (helping disperse heat)
and the cooling system a bit more robust.
Don't over dose the cooling system with anti-freeze use recommended quantity
and the thermostat can be suspect if its been replaced with a non Alfa Romeo one.
Also
Make sure your DPF is regenerating properly.

Just some problems with those I have come across.

:)

Last edited:

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
Thats a new one on me, 10 weeks fuel storage does not seem long enough to cause non starting with a diesel.

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
Diesel will last for 30 years (ask the Russians!)

Westheath

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Probably air in the system as usual.

I had one of the young techs cranking a Volvo over trying to start it after a fuel filter change,
I was firmly tapping the o/s/f tyre with my foot he looked at me asked what I'm doing,
I told him it helps bleed the air out of the fuel system,
the next 3 second crank it started up I smiled and left him frowning.

Pure coincidence ...................... but I love a wind up :)

OP
bembo449

bembo449

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
westheath , have you ever replaced the small pully belt that runs the alternator on the 2.4jtd ?

Westheath

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Yea the stretch belt, I have the tools to wind on and flip/flick it on the pulley,
but you can loosen the air con compressor and pivot it a little to get it on.

But you need to stretch stretch and stretch...........................

OP
bembo449

bembo449

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I ended up un-doing the air con pump , what an absolute PITA it was to do but the car is running well at least

Westheath

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Doing a stretch belt on a Golf with the spring loaded alternator...............now that's fun and it takes 2 people to safely get it on.

OP
bembo449

bembo449

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ive no doubt pal , I certainly wont be doing another 2.4jtd again oh no siree bob

OP
bembo449

bembo449

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
are you sure ? everyone on the alfa owners forum reckons the tools for doing the job don't work on the 2.4 set up as its too far too stretch the belt o_O

Westheath

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
are you sure ? everyone on the alfa owners forum reckons the tools for doing the job don't work on the 2.4 set up as its too far too stretch the belt o_O

You can own tools ......................... but you still need to know how to use them.

:)

OP
bembo449

bembo449

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
well yeah but I had a rather large pry bar on the job and still couldn't get it to stretch enough without undoing anything , care to share exactly which tool you have ;)

Westheath

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Gates stretch belt kits x 2, and Fords 4 piece kit very good but cant remember part numbers, and a SnapOn SBT2KT
> iirc i use the Ford kit on the Alfa 2.4 JTD
Are all I ever need for stretch belt fitting ....... so far.

OP
bembo449

bembo449

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
thanks for that pal , I cant say I will invest in a kit as I rarely do any but nice to know which kit to get if the need arises

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom