Alloy wheels question

Ibby

Reaction score
Website
www.18-5.com
Im looking to buy some new alloy wheels for my 03 plate W203 (C220 Cdi).

i saw this alloy wheel on ebay:

9d_1.JPG

can anyone please tell me where the cheapest place would be to purchase a set of these alloy wheels? Am I right in saying that they are usually found on avantguarde C Class cars? (part no is B66471054 btw)

Finally what do you think about the look of these wheels on a C class saloon? (i know it is a matter of opinion but I would be interested to hear what some of you guys think).

thank you

Last edited:
Reaction score
The standard alloys on the C-class Avantgarde all look pretty good. You need to be a bit careful with alloys on a merc as you can end up looking a bit like a drugs dealer or a pimp :) Sorry, I am of course assuming you are neither of these things.....

The ones in the picture look pretty sweet though.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Count me in for the look of those, will look good, don't forget the offset is critical on MB's

Malcolm

psmart

Reaction score
According to the Mercedes Catalogue I have here, the alloys above are almost identical to the Adharaz rims available for the SLK and CLK, just the bolt holes being slighly off. If they look good on an SLK and CLK, then they should look good on a C.

I always go to Ebay in Germany www.ebay.de as I find things a lot cheaper there, just look for 'mercedes alufelgen' or just 'mercedes felgen'. I bought a new set of rims for a tad over 400Euro, 4 off, all new and all original Mercedes (Menkalina), so its always worth a look. (400 euro = ~272 quid).

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
psmart said:
According to the Mercedes Catalogue I have here, the alloys above are almost identical to the Adharaz rims available for the SLK and CLK, just the bolt holes being slighly off. If they look good on an SLK and CLK, then they should look good on a C.

I always go to Ebay in Germany www.ebay.de as I find things a lot cheaper there, just look for 'mercedes alufelgen' or just 'mercedes felgen'. I bought a new set of rims for a tad over 400Euro, 4 off, all new and all original Mercedes (Menkalina), so its always worth a look. (400 euro = ~272 quid).
Could we say that is a smart move you going on Ebay de.

malcolm

tom7035

Reaction score
Cost of carriage home to UK would be the killer though.
Might have a look there myself, desperate for a LHD f/passenger seat cover (ursprüngliche sitzabdeckung :)) to replace my driver's with the worn bolster cushion!

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
tom7035 said:
Cost of carriage home to UK would be the killer though.
Might have a look there myself, desperate for a LHD f/passenger seat cover (ursprüngliche sitzabdeckung :)) to replace my driver's with the worn bolster cushion!

Do you think that would work Tom, I go to Sweden from time to time, maybe I could bring back the squab covering and the complete seat would be too big

Malcolm

tom7035

Reaction score
I'm certainly in the market for a cover Malcolm if you ever come across one in your travels! I think the relatively unworn pass. side from a LHD would do admirably. It wouldn't matter too much even if had had an armrest fitted. It's black cloth pattern No.061.
Making do currently with a loose cover from 'Hellfrauds', surprisingly fair match but for the red piping around the edge!
(P.S. My German wasn't so good after all, ended up looking at motor cycle dualseat mouldings!)

OP
Ibby

Ibby

Reaction score
Website
www.18-5.com
OmniCognateNeutronRangler said:
The standard alloys on the C-class Avantgarde all look pretty good. You need to be a bit careful with alloys on a merc as you can end up looking a bit like a drugs dealer or a pimp :) Sorry, I am of course assuming you are neither of these things.....

The ones in the picture look pretty sweet though.

ha! im actually a solicitor so i suppose you are right in some respects :D

thanks for the input guys - that particular alloy is on sale on its own - just need to find another 3 alloys and then im sorted lol

OP
Ibby

Ibby

Reaction score
Website
www.18-5.com
psmart said:

may i ask how much you had to pay in carriage/import duty in the end for those mate?

OP
Ibby

Ibby

Reaction score
Website
www.18-5.com
just a final quick question - does anyone know what kind of tyre size i am looking at for the above 18 inch wheels for my c class thank you

marnix

Reaction score
For the 18" X 8" rims, the offset should be 32 but you should get away with 35.
Tyre size: 225/40/18 all round
235/40/18 all round
225/40/18 front & 245/35/18 Rear
That is the maximum recommended by BBS for W203 with that size alloys.

OP
Ibby

Ibby

Reaction score
Website
www.18-5.com
marnix said:
For the 18" X 8" rims, the offset should be 32 but you should get away with 35.
Tyre size: 225/40/18 all round
235/40/18 all round
225/40/18 front & 245/35/18 Rear
That is the maximum recommended by BBS for W203 with that size alloys.

thanks mate your a life saver - just to confirm is it 225/40/18 all round or 235/40/18 all round - i always find the sizing confusing!

marnix

Reaction score
Yes that's correct.
The best set up is the last one. Great for pose and looks.
The only down side is that with bigger wheels and low profile tyres, you are compromising the ride quality. If you fit the big wheels, you will feel the smallest imperfection in the road and even the smallest pot hole will feel like you have just hit a bolder.

OP
Ibby

Ibby

Reaction score
Website
www.18-5.com
thanks once again. Its a toss up between those and 17 inch wheels.

If I went for a set of 17 inchers could I ask what the tyre size would be then? I think i might have to compromise on the 18 inch wheels as i have to ferry family round often so it wouldnt be as practical

marnix

Reaction score
With the 17" X8", the Offset is 35 and the sizes are between 215/45/17 and 245/40/17
With 17" X 8.5", the Offset is 35 but you can go up to 255/35/17 at the rear.
The best for looks would be 17" X 8" at the front with 225/45/17 and 17" X 8.5" at the rear with 245/40/17.
The wider rims at the back wil allow better weight distribution under full power. The maximum size tyres (255/35/17) look really great but are special order only and not cheap by anyone standards.

OP
Ibby

Ibby

Reaction score
Website
www.18-5.com
i have a slight advantage in that my father worked for pirelli for 35 years so he gets coupons for half price tyres every year ;)

P

pirellipete

Replacement alloy wheels

try 'Pristine alloy' wheels. They're based in Milton Keynes and have dealers throughout UK. they will exchange your wheels for refurbished ones.

I have just got a set for my W203 C200K Evo coupe for about £100 each.

I found out about them whilst sitting in the local Merc Dealers Showroom waiting for my service when a set were delivered by courier, and the sales receptionist rang a client and told them that their new Merc wheels had arrived !!!!

They offer two options for MB, one is their own, (Pristine Alloy) finish or the standard MB finish. The Pristine Alloy finish is about 2/3rds of the MB Finish price.

The beauty of the exchange is that you can carry on driving while you wait a few days for your new wheels to arrive.

Mine were spotless and perfect on arrival, I would have said they were brand new,

good luck
PireilliPete

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom