AMG 7G-DCT Transmission Quirk?

JustinN

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLA45 AMG
Hi All

I'm now the proud owner of a 2015 GLA45 AMG and I absolutely love the car!

I've never driven a car with a 7G-DCT transmission and I don't know if my experiences are normal or not, so I thought I'd ask fellow owners. The issue I'm having is with the DCT transmission during very slow manoeuvres, like a 3 point turn.

What I'm finding is that when I want to move the car from a stop at slow speeds, in either Drive or Reverse, the engine is revving quite highly before the car actually moves forwards or backwards. In other automatic cars I've driven the car would crawl forward or backwards when the brake pedal was released, but that's not the case with the GLA45. I have to apply quite a lot of power before I move. Is this normal? I also find that the car will sometimes roll back on a steep hill when in Drive, which is something that's never happened in other automatic cars.

I find slow manoeuvres a bit embarrassing because I sound like one of those inexperienced drivers who has to rev like hell before they move! Is there a way to alter the behaviour of the DCT transmission so it engages at lower revs from stationary? I've tried the standard DCT transmission reset mentioned on the forums but it made no difference. Would a software update help?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Justin

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
I'd guess that the other autos you've driven were all slush box, torque converter autos and the car you now have is an automated manual along the lines of VW's DSG.

Srdl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC43 AMG 2018 (X253)
That doesn’t sound right to me. SWMBO's Mini Cooper has a DCT box and that is slightly reluctant to take up drive on occasions and can drift backwards on a slope but never needs revving.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
In comfort mine will surge a bit and need a few revs to move but not like you mention / doesn’t sound 100%

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Just realised you’ve the DCT (as in the title)- ignore my post

bembo449

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes Cl500, shitron dispatch
from what ive read , the DCT box aren't the best or smoothest thing in the world in operation but yours certainly sounds like something is wrong , perhaps a diagnostic session may highlight the issue ??

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom