Annoying brake squeal

Status
Not open for further replies.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Think you might have the wrong end of the stick again Malcolm my man, he has brake squeal with non-OE pads.

You said...

"I think that you have got it wrong again, saying that ATE are no good is about the most stupid thing one could say, so in your eyes only the pads supplied to MB never squeak "

This is a very good example of you totally misrepresenting what I have said.

If you wish to assert that I said that ATE are no good, and that only MB pads never squeak, quote me, like I am always very careful to quote you.

You cannot have it both ways Alex, your top quote would insinuate to me that I did not know that the member was using ATE, and that is just not the case.

Your comments read to me that because the member is using ATE, that is his problem, and sorry I will not buy that one.

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
And not for you either, and did I lie, is not exactly what I said there

I haven't read it and I never said you weren't telling the truth, always nice to have references though.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
When a thread degenerates as low as "he said" "she said" " I said" " they said it is all very sad, then friends join in and back their favorite with no useful content to add to the subject, it is not good for the forum or the members.

From my point I have only ever given the reasons for any squeal and how to cure.

For much of this subject we do not have much in the way of hard facts and that is me out of it.

Last edited:

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W169, W124, w202, W203, KTM 250 EXC, VW T25 camper and a Polo in a pear tree
You cannot have it both ways Alex, your top quote would insinuate to me that I did not know that the member was using ATE, and that is just not the case...

Yet you said...

"And you have one of the best systems going, and this rather knock the stupid OE comments on the head "

Which means what?
That this car does have OE pads, or not?

The only way I can read it is that you take these ATE brake pads to be original equipment - that is what I read out of it, not that you did not know they were ATE.

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W169, W124, w202, W203, KTM 250 EXC, VW T25 camper and a Polo in a pear tree
To suggest that brake squeal is a common problem is just silly for it is not, how many post on here in the last 12 months, 1 and no more I think...

A quick search has thrown up a good half dozen brake squeal threads in the last year, but there may be more.
A common theme comes through, see if you can spot it.

This is what Terry at Wayne Gates said...

"Maybe ill just agree to disagree Mr ECP. I have an extremely sour taste in my mouth regarding the pagid product.
I personally will never buy it again. Others obviously find it good value for money. Unfortunately when almost every set fitted comes back with a squeak, a garage loses time, money, and more importantly faith in the product.
Maybe i am just unlucky!"

This is what barose said...

"On my CL600 biturbo (2004) I put new discs and pads (pagid). They now squeal like I have never heard before, at low speed."

This is what aaisha said...

"i recently purchased some brake pads and discs from eurocarparts (PAGID) however after 3k miles they are still squeeking like mad everytime i brake, (sounds like a london bus) after speaking to my mechanic he says its the pads they are not good quality can anyone recommend any that they have used and dont have this problem?"

This is what Blaze One said (a little over a year ago these ones)...

"I decided to go for Brembo discs and pads for the front as my friend was able to get a BIG discount on the parts and so far, so good...no problems with braking or squeaking etc - the rear discs I ended up changing at the beginning of this year just before my MOT as they were on the cusp from the previous years MOT - due to unforeseen circumstances I had to go with PAGID rear discs and pads (again installed courtesy of Porsche!) but have found in hot weather (the little that we've had!!) that they do let out a bit of a squeal periodically which is a little disappointing to be honest and though not expensive to replace, loathed to do so having only had them on for less then 4 months."

This is what Ricardo e220 said...

"the pagids I got have been squealing like a banshee"

There are at least two forum members here that have had brake squeal from Pagid pads, fitted by us. They may not want to comment on such a contentious issue however, so I will refrain from posting their user names.

As I say, we never have a problem with Mercedes supplied pads at all.

Euro Car Parts are as good as any to deal with, and have honored all our returns of Pagid pads.
We still buy a great deal of products from them, and suggest Pagid discs as first choice for our customers, most of whom are looking to save money, where practicable.

Last edited:
OP
SteveX

SteveX

Reaction score
Play nice guys ;)

Among all of this there has been some useful information.

I'll report back my findings when I have cured it once and for all!

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sorry Steve I am out of the thread, I will not take bullying it just spoils the thread and stops any useful discussion.

cleverdicky

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
MB
Mine squeak as well sometimes.

But you know, I really dont give a s**t

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
I hate brake threads.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom