Annoying fault with boot soft close 08 SL350

OLLIECAT

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL350 08
Hi,
As per title I have an intermittent fault with boot soft close. The problem can not be the usual cracked casing or air leak because if I disconnect the battery it works fine . at least that's my theory. Aux battery is brand new too. Am I missing a simple setting in the computer set up or some reset of some sort, its so annoying.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
There is no setting for boot soft close. Either they work or they don't. When they don't its almost always a leak. When the PSE pump detects a leak it will turn off that air supply. If the leak is marginal it may be intermittent and a battery disconnect/reconnect will 'cure' it.

OP
O

OLLIECAT

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL350 08
Ok , looks like I am going to be doing some detective work, it worked for about 10 goes earlier now its stopped again. It had a new vacuum pump fitted about 12 months ago so if I can not find a leak I hope its not related to that again.

SL63 Mark

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R231 SL63 AMG
I have the same symptoms. please let us know how you get on,

star

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Smart + others :)
Normally pump. :(

OP
O

OLLIECAT

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL350 08
Ok , I have started to check out the soft close actuator , but fell at first hurdle, there is a metal linkage from it to the boot lock . It has a ball socket attachment which I don't wish to force off and break is there a simple way to release it without destroying it as it wont allow me to get the unit out so I can check for cracks in housing. I can hear air escaping when I operate boot lock but it may just be exhaust air. My next step will be to check air at pse pump I take it that it is the port marked HECK. Its just the connector rod stopping me at moment and can not find any videos how to release it without ruining it

OP
O

OLLIECAT

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL350 08
Just found a cracking post on MBworld detailing the job , I,m just being over cautious it just needs a twist apparently.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
You can fix temporarily by pulling the fuse then putting back in....which will work for a while but air leaks and ultimately pump will need to be addressed

peterws1957

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
sl350 /2004/3.7 and CL65/2009/6.0
Just found a cracking post on MBworld detailing the job , I,m just being over cautious it just needs a twist apparently.
That's a great post on the other forum. Yes the ball joint is more robust than it looks. A bit fiddly to get back on though. I took the mechanism out of ours to check it and it looks like it's made of Lego! You will have to check very carefully even a tiny crack will leak. Good luck - let us know how you get on.

agilmoj

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL350 R230 2003 3.7
What was the final fix for this ? I read a post on another site about removing the latch mech and then using epoxy glue to fill up where the ball bearings are seated in order to stop the airleaks. Was going to give this a try at the weekend.

OP
O

OLLIECAT

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL350 08
I did it in situ because struggled to release air pipes and it didn,t work, but I think there is still a small leak because can hear a slight woosh of air still. To do a proper job it needs taking off completely to check. Will do mine when car goes off road for winter. Other than that it looks like checking pump connection.

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
There is no setting for boot soft close. Either they work or they don't. When they don't its almost always a leak. When the PSE pump detects a leak it will turn off that air supply. If the leak is marginal it may be intermittent and a battery disconnect/reconnect will 'cure' it.

I was told the same thing about my rear headrests.
They can get confused by an under-voltage battery issue and disconnecting the battery can reset it, that = a permenant fix.
But usually its an air leak. To protect the pump its is disengaged. Battery disconnection may reset and look like its cured it, if the leak is minimal.
But even then after a couple of times, it permenantly disengages the pump; until you disconnect the power again.
In this case you need to sort out the leak, or if unlucky replace the pump (varies on options on my car from £400 to £1,390 :-/)

No idea if this is correct, but when I feel up to it, and the storm stops I will try the battery disconnection.

Definitely hoping the low battery at 12.1V is the culprit, air leaks under / behind those seats :(:(
( apprently it also does the Lumber pumps on the front)

Thsnkfully all the soft closures work fine.

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom