Another SL question

Seeker_UK

Reaction score
I'm pretty close to signing my life away on a beautiful Imperial Red 320SL - what a seriously impressive piece of kit. Built like a tank, goes quite well for such a heavy thing (the doors were very heavy) and handles quite well too. All I need to do is find a decent insurance quote!

One question which popped up in my head in the way back from a test drive.
It has the panoramic roof which I understand on a 95 car, which this one is, was a quite expensive option. How is the back window demisted on the hard top - are there elements in the hard top or is it like other convertibles, has a hot air blower?

Oh yes, one other thing, on the side of the drivers seat nearest the door, there appeared to be 3 thumbwheels with arrows next to each. What do they do?

Many thanks as ever

Last edited:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
I think that you will find that the Panoramic roof was not an option in 95 as it did not appear till 97.
The roof has an electric demister built into the glass that plugs into a socket on the passengers side by the top of where the door closes, if you do not have one that will confirm that it has been added.

Malcolm

OP
Seeker_UK

Seeker_UK

Reaction score
Thanks for that answer.

How is a non-panoramic roof's rear window demisted?

davidsl500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R172 250CDI Gone..!, R129 SL500 Gone...
there is a connector plug on the passenger side roughly just below shoulder level which you have to unplug when removing the hardtop - the standard tops have electric heated rear screens.

The thumbwheels on the drivers seat low down on the right are for lumber support adjustment one sets the amount of support by some sort of inflation device i think and the other sets the height - very strange if you are not used to it - move the wheel and this lump moves up your back !! dont know what the third one is - i thought there was only two ? i'll go out and check later !

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Thanks David, I completely forgot that the normal roof also had a demister, Its either old age of the effect of driving around testing these new SL500's.

Malcolm

OP
Seeker_UK

Seeker_UK

Reaction score
Thankyou for the replies.

One more thing - where can I get a stand for a hardtop?

Top Bottom