Ant McPartlin and drink driving

fabes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E400 Coupe
No excuse for DD, not even morning after these days
He could afford to get a sodding helicopter home, but nope he is too drunk to realise that

Pity as he seems a decent enough bloke (off screen I am told as well) and a marriage break up from a long term / childhood sweetheart will be difficult which is an explanation for being drunk

But not for getting behind the wheel

A pity for all concerned and just blind luck no one was seemingly seriously injured

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
The problem is he is the head of a seething mass of parasites living off his "talent"
the sycophants will have been forgiving his behaviour for years, he chose to drown his selfish tears in alcohol.
I like most of us have had many occasions to resort to substance abuse I didn't because primarily I think of others first, alcoholism does not come from a virus or accident it does not deserve sympathy, treatment certainly but no violin should play for him.

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
The problem is he is the head of a seething mass of parasites living off his "talent"
the sycophants will have been forgiving his behaviour for years, he chose to drown his selfish tears in alcohol.
I like most of us have had many occasions to resort to substance abuse I didn't because primarily I think of others first, alcoholism does not come from a virus or accident it does not deserve sympathy, treatment certainly but no violin should play for him.
Do you know (m)any alchohics?

C350Carl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
BMW 740Ld xDrive
I personally know 2 alcoholics.

One recently (last month) decided to get help.

The second still refuses to acknowledge they have a problem, which is all the more frustrating as it’s a family member and they now won’t talk to me, my wife and children because of my view (which pretty much mirrors Frontsteps). It’s no skin off my nose they don’t talk to me. It just bugs me that they don’t speak to the wife or children and don’t allow their children to associate with mine.

Hopefully they will see the error of their ways as the first person I know did (took them nearly 2yrs though). But to my knowledge they have never driven and I know that their other half or mother wouldn’t get in a car with them in that state or let them drive.

In my book there is no excuse for drink driving, ever.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
I've personally known one. He eventually died from a stomach hemorrhage caused by alcohol.
Seeing the way he declined from a funny guy to a complete physical and emotional wreck was quite distressing.
He never admitted he had a problem.

C350Carl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
BMW 740Ld xDrive
I've personally known one. He eventually died from a stomach hemorrhage caused by alcohol.
Seeing the way he declined from a funny guy to a complete physical and emotional wreck was quite distressing.
He never admitted he had a problem.

That’s the thing. They can’t be helped until they truly accept they have a problem.

The first person I know who is now getting help tried about a year ago. But because he didn’t truly accept it was an issue he stopped seeking help after a couple of weeks.

Not so long ago he ended up being the cause of a issue at home which led to his 6yr old daughter asking her daddy why she never had any birthday presents or a party that she was promised and if she had been a bad girl. He’d spent all the money for her presents/party on alcohol. This was the tipping point for him, he broke down and realised he had a problem. Just a shame he had to see his daughter heart broken thinking she’d been a bad girl for it to sink in.

The family member has yet to realise she has a problem. It’s been nearly 4yrs too so there is little hope now that she ever will.

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
it could & probably will take a life time ......
One family member through marriage was the same. We found that he was hiding bottles of vodka behind his bath panel so his wife couldn’t find them. As a kid we would go out to the pub, he’d be in orange juice as my dad and others would refuse to allow him alcofrol. Got caught nipping out “to check the car for a slow puncture” for the umpteenth time one day necking supermarket cider he had hidden in the spare wheel well under the boot liner.

Last time I saw him was in hospital, 25 years later, dying. He was the same age as my dad but looked older than my nan, and much more frail. Out of his mind too and had been for a long time. The booze truly does destroy you.

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
Interesting that you should say that. We had a very good friend who was a Hotelier in Whitby. He was an alcoholic but he was also a recovering alcoholic. He became a councillor with the AA. He told us that as an alcoholic, alcoholism in in you from the word go. What triggers it is an event in your life which brings it to the fore. Sadly he passed away 4/5 years ago and not as an old man. :(

Funnily enough we went with him to an AA Christmas party with him in Scarborough. There were people from all walks of life and there was no class distinction. The drinks were Orangeade, cherryade, limeade and so forth, and do you know what, they all had a great time playing party games. We were a bit reticent about going, but what an education. :)

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
Do you know (m)any alchohics?

Too many, I often looked after ones daughter, I have attended the funerals of at least three, another let my then girlfriend sleep in the porch as she was too drunk to open the door, in fact I know too many they all have/had one thing in common.
I have employed one and watched him go to prison waving goodbye to his little daughter and girlfriend, I have zero sympathy and am heartily sick of picking up the pieces and empathising.
When he got out I took him to a local hospice for who he now fund raises as he now has others to think about.

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
Too many, I often looked after ones daughter, I have attended the funerals of at least three, another let my then girlfriend sleep in the porch as she was too drunk to open the door, in fact I know too many they all have/had one thing in common.
I have employed one and watched him go to prison waving goodbye to his little daughter and girlfriend, I have zero sympathy and am heartily sick of picking up the pieces and empathising.
When he got out I took him to a local hospice for who he now fund raises as he now has others to think about.

Still distant people then .....:coffee:

MalcQV

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes CLA200
No sympathy at all. As Fronstep above wrote, its not from a virus. I guess I don't understand it but the DD I can't abide.
He deserves whatever he gets, maybe more.

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
That has also become quite costly to his side kick too I see. They have been dropped from that 'I'm a celebrity, get me out of here' bilge too :rolleyes:

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
A whole industry has grown up around often privileged people behaving badly, fellow celebrities flock to offer a fake shoulder to cry on as they wail about the pressures of the job they fought tooth and nail to get.
The priory et al aren't cheap.
You don't need to present I'm a celebrity or Saturday Takeaway there's many other options in life.
When you have had a bad day you make the choice of drinking through the rest of it or not.
You can snort inject or swallow all manner of substances whilst you work your way through some dead head partners to while away your off time.
The richer you get the more people find what you have attractive and find you extraordinarily witty and intelligent.

It was the accident that brought his world tumbling down, its highly likely he often drove whilst drunk his mother it appears found it reasonable to accompany him.

For the rest of us when your feeling crap you look across at perhaps your children or partner and think of them first.

People with huge ego's put themselves first second and third, he didn't consider the people who rely on him for a job, his mother and of course the other road users.

keefysher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W166 GLE350AMG Line 3.0 2017. BMW Z3 2.8 1998.
We are away for the weekend, just across the trees from the Priory. Should we pop over and shout 'Ant, you're a loser, get out of there!!' ??

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Good to see he got a fine that he would feel the force of. A £200 or whatever fine would have been ridiculous :)

L John

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 C350 Petrol Elegance
That has also become quite costly to his side kick too I see. They have been dropped from that 'I'm a celebrity, get me out of here' bilge too :rolleyes:

Ant and Dec have been a pair for years but like Little and Large, one is better than the other.
Ant was always the sidekick in my opinion and no loss that he's been sidekicked off.

Dec will be doing Get me out of here on his own last I heard but plenty of time for anything to change.
Internet and media will say anything to get views and sales, they don't care if the 'news' is based on fact or not so a bit early unless it's confirmed from a reputable source.

L John

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
In the summertime
Just listening to this song on the radio and asked the missus if she remembered it being used for an anti drink drive advert, she hadn't so I found it on YouTube.
Not sure this type of ad gets through to any would be drink driver but if Ants Mum had seen it recently, maybe she would have taken charge of his keys.

AMGeed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 C180K
I don't sympathise with Ant Mc Partlin over his actions, and I think he was dealt with fairly, but did anyone see the haunted look on the guys face when he left court?

He looks suicidal and I feel for the man with his demons. Walk a mile in his shoes and all that.
Seems some on here want to crucify him, even after he showed remorce and apologised.

L John

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I feel sorry for his family, his friends, the people he crashed into but no, I cant feel sorry for him for a second.
He was dealt with properly as the law stands but yes I do feel anyone choosing to drink and drive deserves more than the law can throw at them.

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom