anti diesel idea not working.....

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
That only matters if you view rising CO2 emissions as The Evil That Shall Not Be Named... if however you’re objective, slight CO2 increases won’t do much any harm.

bembo449

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes Cl500, shitron dispatch
this makes me laugh , one minute petrol is the fuel of satan , the next minute derv is ! So are they both or what ? or is it jus at this point in time we need to raise a bit of easy revenue so lets bash the motorists again , they don't seem to mind

Gkinghorn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 CDI Cabriolet - 2011
I think they both are .. the problem with electric is they can’t measure the cost in co2 etc to charge the battery ... wonder if it really is that much cleaner..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bembo449

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes Cl500, shitron dispatch
good point pal , we haven't got enough power stations to light up the country yet alone provide power to a network capable of serving the population driving electric vehicles , which bolsters my point somewhat , no one ever mentions where all this electricity will be coming from OR what happens to the cells in the vehicles when they reach end of life ???

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
As with most eco measures they are ill thought. We rush headlong into electric cars because thats where the manufacturers have set their stalls so they lobby governments to help their cause.

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
I think they both are .. the problem with electric is they can’t measure the cost in co2 etc to charge the battery ... wonder if it really is that much cleaner..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
They can. National emissions figures are published and in very great detail. Obtaining vehicle power from the grid reduces most emissions by between 60-90%. It’s a big drop.

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
good point pal , we haven't got enough power stations to light up the country yet alone provide power to a network capable of serving the population driving electric vehicles , which bolsters my point somewhat , no one ever mentions where all this electricity will be coming from OR what happens to the cells in the vehicles when they reach end of life ???
We have more than enough power stations to power the country. We also have a really smart distribution system so massive excess capacity is not now needed like 30 years ago. We also have a significant renewables sector with the likes of wind power, so the charging of EVs taking advantage of effectively free nighttime wind power cannot be understated. However what we do NOT have (anywhere globally) is enough power generation to replace IC cars with EVs on a 1 for 1 basis right now.

As regards end of life batteries, Australia is already showing us county/ region level battery farms with old Lexus and Tesla batteries plugged together and storing power to smooth out grid demand spikes.

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
As with most eco measures they are ill thought. We rush headlong into electric cars because thats where the manufacturers have set their stalls so they lobby governments to help their cause.
No it’s the other way around. Manufacturers make electric cars to get around the CAFE Regulations because they’re a “free pass”. The anti emissions lobby is pressuring governments to push manufacturers to increase their EV offerings.

flowrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230)
I read somewhere, can't remember where, that a Tesla has the same emissions as a 7 series BMW when you take manufacturering into the equation.

flowrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230)
or at least not if this article is correct.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/cars/news...figures/ar-BBH69KS?li=AA9SkIr&ocid=spartanntp

It seems like the Anti-diesel lobby might have to do a rethink, at least until alternatives are up to the standard they need to be at (and IMO theyre a long way off as they are)
I'm one of the drivers that adandoned diesel and bought a 3l petrol v6! But the CO2 emissions between the ML350 3l v6 diesel and the Audi S5 3l v6 petrol dropped from 189 to 179.

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I read somewhere, can't remember where, that a Tesla has the same emissions as a 7 series BMW when you take manufacturering into the equation.
That’s only if you don’t take the manufacture and build of the 7 Series into account. There are lots of verrry cherry picked comparisons going around. 70% of the lifetime (cradle to grave) emissions of a car come from its driving.

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
I have been reading about Motor Industry lobbying in Brussels and depending who collates the figures VW alone has 43 lobbyists persuading the EU to do as they require, no doubt with assorted threats to move to China or similar.

OP
turbopete

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
That’s only if you don’t take the manufacture and build of the 7 Series into account. There are lots of verrry cherry picked comparisons going around. 70% of the lifetime (cradle to grave) emissions of a car come from its driving.

are you sure? id have thought that most of the emissions would COME from the building of the car, especially in the case of an EV like a Tesla, which does beg the question, since new cars are pretty much made to order nowadays, IS there any real benefit (and I'm talking from a GLOBAL pollution point here NOT any local level, such as the ones that are trying to be reduced by charges, such as in London etc) from point of signing on the dotted line in the dealership (or similar) to the point where the car has been destroyed and recycled into raw material again (ready for reuse) to an electric vehicle? and once EVs do become more mainstream, how long will it be before the government tries to slap a tax on the electric that charges the car? its not like they can slap a 'green' tax on it anymore, is it?

oigle

Reaction score
Website
members.optusnet.com.au
Your Mercedes
2003 ML270 sold but not forgotten. 2022 Kia EV6 RWD LR
are you sure? id have thought that most of the emissions would COME from the building of the car, especially in the case of an EV like a Tesla, which does beg the question, since new cars are pretty much made to order nowadays, IS there any real benefit (and I'm talking from a GLOBAL pollution point here NOT any local level, such as the ones that are trying to be reduced by charges, such as in London etc) from point of signing on the dotted line in the dealership (or similar) to the point where the car has been destroyed and recycled into raw material again (ready for reuse) to an electric vehicle? and once EVs do become more mainstream, how long will it be before the government tries to slap a tax on the electric that charges the car? its not like they can slap a 'green' tax on it anymore, is it?

Too true. Gov't reap huge income from fuel taxes. They can't let that just disappear into thin air. Could be a curly one without having to increase the price of electricity generally to cover it - be rather unpopular.

Ian.

flowrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230)
With the new road tax system aren't all cars taxed at the same rate once they hit 6 years old? Electric cars included.

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom