Any advice please for my 2003 CL500 front suspension control arm

Tony7

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1999 Mercedes ML 320
Hi everybody, I have a 2003 CL500 with ABC suspension and the ball joints that go into the suspension strut are worn. I was wondering if this is a hard job to do and where is the best place to buy the complete arm assemblies.As my car has done a lot of mileage, I thought it would be best to change the complete arm as the inner bushes will probably be worn as well
Any advice will be greatly appreciated

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
The ball joints are integral to the strut from memory - there are some independents that can inject the strut with resin and give it a new ease of life (and fit a grease nipple to slow future wear). You'd be best to find one who does this. Star in Reading does it but its a trek.
Maybe Welwyn Merx or perhaps Wayne Gates in Harrow?

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
You have Clive at Benzworx at Tolleshunt darcy (back of maldon ) and Alex Crow in Stowmarket as well , both respected Indys who could answer your questions .

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Ian at Star does these himself as LK says, not sure if the rest do or indeed send them up here to who did mine on the SL (Wheel alignment & ball joint centre Liverpool). Benefit with Ian is that he would do yours 'while you wait' - with Liverpool they don't remove the struts so you'd have to do that and get them shipped up/resined/shipped back/refitted. And the Pipes/hoses/quick connectors can be a real pain to remove.
For me you'd be best to spend a day or even overnight in Reading at Star - that's if Ian is still offering that service
The lower ball joint is indeed part of the strut by the way, so the alternative is strut replacement, even a remanufactured/exchange strut will be c£1200 each!

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
I do not think the CL is the same as the SL...doesn't have integrated ball joint on the strut. The ball joint is in the arm.

There are videos from Mercedessource which show changing the arm on a W220...which is the same.

Get parts on Ebay...not an expensive part.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
I do not think the CL is the same as the SL...doesn't have integrated ball joint on the strut. The ball joint is in the arm.

There are videos from Mercedessource which show changing the arm on a W220...which is the same.
Apologies- went off half cocked, read 'SL' in my mind instead of 'CL'....ignore my crazy ramblings please!

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
Btw I'm pretty sure that Star are still offering ball joint refurb at £90/ corner. Including greasy nipple too!

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Btw I'm pretty sure that Star are still offering ball joint refurb at £90/ corner. Including greasy nipple too!
you'd know though Craig, is the CL strut the same?
I've seen a picture I'm sure which looked different from the SL, but I may be rambling again!

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
you'd know though Craig, is the CL strut the same?
I've seen a picture I'm sure which looked different from the SL, but I may be rambling again!

I believe they are similar structure but with detail differences. The CL 215 has 3 different models of strut dependent on what year the car is though, none of which are interchangeable so....

star

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Smart + others :)
Thanks, we still re resin SL strut joints but the cl has a different set up.

m2287

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Bentley Continental GT - S55K AMG - RR vogue - Mazda6 estate
Those bottom arms are a right pig, they have 2 pins attaching them to the strut - good luck getting them out!

m2287

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Pretty sure mine were around £150 from mercedes

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
If it helps, as Craig said there are lots of options on the C216 like there are on the C215.
On mine the ball joint came on the new Strut that replaced this leaking one.
IMG_3795.JPG

But I suspect yours is different.

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
As I said...it is different why confuse the poster?

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
As I said...it is different why confuse the poster?

On the contrary, instead if just having the usual "go" ... Read the ****ing post ... as I said there are various options for struts on the CL 216, and like Craig said same on the C215 ... its vin specific on mine.
I thought it might be helpful, if when he looked at his, and it looked like this then he would realise there are different types.
I.e. it potenially could look like this?

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
On the contrary, instead if just having the usual "go" ... Read the ****ing post ... as I said there are various options for struts on the CL 216, and like Craig said same on the C215 ... its vin specific on mine.
I thought it might be helpful, if when he looked at his, and it looked like this then he would realise there are different types.

It may be vin specific but the method of attaching to the arm is the same in all cases...so you are adding to the confusion. It's why I posted the correct answer. But hey...post away and read the ****ing posts yourself.

m2287

Reaction score
Your Mercedes

I think the point is that the 216 and 215 have completely different struts so your post was a bit pointless! The 215 struts all look the same.

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom