Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Audi S8 V10, S210 E320 CDI (R.I.P.)
Congratulations to LH #4 for #44

Tony MB

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes Benz CLK 240 Elegance 2003 V6 petrol
Moaning Hamilton again!!!! accusing Vettel of touching deliberately :rolleyes: but no action from stewards :p

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Max did a great job yesterday. Pulled off a brave overtake from the start then controlled the race to the end. I did have to laugh at him apologising for setting fastest laps again and again. He has a bright future once he matures a bit and learns to think as well as he drives.

C350Carl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
BMW 740Ld xDrive
He was whinging through the whole race, that Merc is crap in traffic

They all whinge. It’s not exclusive to Hamilton.

Plus the cars are all crap to one degree or another in traffic this year. You need a big advantage depending on the track to be able to overtake. Once you get within a couple of seconds of the car in front it starts to hurt your car.

The problem I think is the FIA need to change the regulations to enforce designers to come up with more mechanical grip. They rely too much on downforce which means they struggle to follow another car closely for any great length of time. If they do it starts to compromise the tyres especially due to sliding around more. But also brake and engine temps increase

The Merc this year hasn’t been as good as previous. But I expect it will still be a fight between them and Ferrari again next year.

Although Redbull is good on the more twisty tracks the Renault engines don’t have the Qualifying mode anything like Ferrari and Mercedes do. They aren’t as reliable either as the last Grand Prix shows.

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
They all whinge. It’s not exclusive to Hamilton.

He and Vettel are the most whingy "I can't get close to him" for example, RAI just asks "what is he doing?", GRO seems to have no brakes.

They should use RIC / VES as an example of good team radio "I like them vunarable".

Plus the cars are all crap to one degree or another in traffic this year. You need a big advantage depending on the track to be able to overtake. Once you get within a couple of seconds of the car in front it starts to hurt your car.

He took 4 laps to get past a McLaren with a 12mph speed deficit on the straight, BOT breezed past the same car when lapping him.

The problem I think is the FIA need to change the regulations to enforce designers to come up with more mechanical grip. They rely too much on downforce which means they struggle to follow another car closely for any great length of time. If they do it starts to compromise the tyres especially due to sliding around more. But also brake and engine temps increase

Ross Brawn will already be working on it, they need to get rid of all the appendages and these ridiculous front wings and go to a F2 (GP2) style downforce package, the side pods are looking ridiculous. Horner is continually going on about it and Brundle agrees.

The Merc this year hasn’t been as good as previous. But I expect it will still be a fight between them and Ferrari again next year.

Not sure, I think RB and McLaren will be up there as well, Alonso was throwing his car around in ways no-one really should in Q1, he set a staggering time for that engine, their chassis is possibly the best out there.

Although Redbull is good on the more twisty tracks the Renault engines don’t have the Qualifying mode anything like Ferrari and Mercedes do. They aren’t as reliable either as the last Grand Prix shows.

See what engines Renault come up with, they will be under huge pressure from McLaren for power and reliability, Williams have Paddy Lowe who is no idiot so tile will tell, I think it will be interesting

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
He took 4 laps to get past a McLaren with a 12mph speed deficit on the straight, BOT breezed past the same car when lapping him.
Bottas will have had the benefit of blue flags which Hamilton didn't as he was competing for the place.

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A lapped car will always be easy to pass...blue flags?

He went passed no issues and Alonso was following another car with DRS open and trying to overtake that

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
He went passed no issues and Alonso was following another car with DRS open and trying to overtake that

I'm not sure what your point is. The World Champion would have passed sooner if he could have.

C350Carl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
BMW 740Ld xDrive

Jon, I think the fact that Alonso had to move out the way and lift to let Bottas past should tell you something.

12mph on the straight is not the same as breezing past under blue flags. He can only pass 2 blue flags/boards and has to yield by the third. Alonso did so in a place that didn't compromise his defence against Hamilton. Hence it still being a struggle for Ham to get past.

Tony MB

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes Benz CLK 240 Elegance 2003 V6 petrol
I'm not sure what your point is. The World Champion would have passed sooner if he could have.

That's the point he couldn't ....while Vettel was carving his way through the pack from p18 The Hammer was struggling for half the race to pass Sainz :rolleyes:

C350Carl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
BMW 740Ld xDrive
I do think Hamilton was being more cautious than usual. He knew he had to cover off Vettel in case he managed to catch Bottas. But that's why he's world champion again as he has taken calculated risks the latter half of this season.

bob 6600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I was surprised they didn't put HAM on the super soft or ultras in the first stop to get him up the field, although looking back now I don't think the Merc would have done much better in traffic. And of course they didn't know a VSC was coming later,

There was damage to Hamilton's rear diffuser which wouldn't have helped thinigs.

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
That's the point he couldn't ....while Vettel was carving his way through the pack from p18 The Hammer was struggling for half the race to pass Sainz :rolleyes:

Yup, Vettel was passing cars easily while HAM in supposedly the best car was struggling and whinging

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I do think Hamilton was being more cautious than usual. He knew he had to cover off Vettel in case he managed to catch Bottas. But that's why he's world champion again as he has taken calculated risks the latter half of this season.

VET would never have caught BOT, way too far behind, he said "mamma mia way too much" at one point when asking how far ahead Kimi was when he got to 4th.

bob 6600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Yup, Vettel was passing cars easily while HAM in supposedly the best car was struggling and whinging

Best car in clean air.

Mercedes have struggled many times in traffic without blue flags

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom