Any F1 fans

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 2013 C350 CDI Pan roof
is much kept secret these days, maybe team no what is going on more than they let out.

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
Saw that earlier. They do like to keep things secret and I’m sure they just do it to draw attention.

It’s not like anyone won’t see the car in testing in a few days!

What I find amusing is, the designers put incredible amounts of detail work into the smallest areas, lip curls to generate a few grams of downforce here, filleting to prevent buffering over the bargeboards there... and yet none of them look at how closely their screws are countersunk (or not!) and no one tapes up panel gaps..! So, poking around one F1 car this morning we found that every single screwhead on the tail was aligned differently and countersunk differently. Also, no one yet in F1 has done a screwhead aero effects analysis to look at whether pozi or socket cap etc are any different... there’s a lot of screwheads on the car!

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Also, no one yet in F1 has done a screwhead aero effects analysis to look at whether pozi or socket cap etc are any different... there’s a lot of screwheads on the car!
Everyone knows slot heads are most aero as long as they are aligned correctly! ;)

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
Everyone knows slot heads are most aero as long as they are aligned correctly! ;)
We were considering suggesting using slotted screws but with the slots angled for optimum downforce generation...

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
What I find amusing is, the designers put incredible amounts of detail work into the smallest areas, lip curls to generate a few grams of downforce here, filleting to prevent buffering over the bargeboards there... and yet none of them look at how closely their screws are countersunk (or not!) and no one tapes up panel gaps..! So, poking around one F1 car this morning we found that every single screwhead on the tail was aligned differently and countersunk differently. Also, no one yet in F1 has done a screwhead aero effects analysis to look at whether pozi or socket cap etc are any different... there’s a lot of screwheads on the car!

They do tape the joints up, often seen just before the cars go out on track, the tape is obviously clear and very wide so many of the screws will be covered.

Last years Red Bull was obvious as the car was painted in Matt paint and the tape was shiny

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Merc F1.jpg Merc is out and oddly looks like last years car

Last edited:

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The Ferrari is Red!!!

Ferrari F1 2018.jpg

mikestrivens

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 W124 320TE, 1998 R129 SL500, 2016 Triumph Tiger 800 XCx
A red Ferrari there's a surprise!!!

Not likely to be any other colour really.

C350Carl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
BMW 740Ld xDrive

They only tape the gaps up before the car goes on track. I've watched them do it with some prohibitively expensive F1 clear parcel tape.

But they only do it on the gaps that affects the aero. If you watch the races from the build up on Sky and pay attention to the mechanics in the garages you'll see them do it.

As for screw heads can't really comment but they either make no difference or aren't that way once the car is on track.

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
They only tape the gaps up before the car goes on track. I've watched them do it with some prohibitively expensive F1 clear parcel tape.

But they only do it on the gaps that affects the aero. If you watch the races from the build up on Sky and pay attention to the mechanics in the garages you'll see them do it.

As for screw heads can't really comment but they either make no difference or aren't that way once the car is on track.

Keep up Carl lol

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes

I reckon otherwise, I think there’s a consulting opportunity there! Fasteners worked for Howard Hughes...!

keefysher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W166 GLE350AMG Line 3.0 2017. BMW Z3 2.8 1998.
As did rivets. (Probably not ideal for pit-stop repairs though...)

How about hot riveting with refuelling at pit stops? That'll liven things up. :geek::geek:

In respect of tape, the old 'sonar' or 'photosonic' with the rough outer surface as used for wrapping sonar bouys in. The sticky black stuff that stuck like the proverbial to a blanket. Speedboats had the rough wave like surface to make them go faster, bit like a sharks skin. Surface tension and whatnot :rolleyes::rolleyes:

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Papaya McLaren devoid of sponsors

McLaren 2018.jpg

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
As did rivets. (Probably not ideal for pit-stop repairs though...)
Well, Hughes flush- headed all his rivets and that alone made something like a 9mph speed increase on the Racer. The point there being it was a detail design point that everyone else had ignored as not being worthwhile.

I do wonder about the screw head countersinking...

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
How about hot riveting with refuelling at pit stops? That'll liven things up. :geek::geek:

In respect of tape, the old 'sonar' or 'photosonic' with the rough outer surface as used for wrapping sonar bouys in. The sticky black stuff that stuck like the proverbial to a blanket. Speedboats had the rough wave like surface to make them go faster, bit like a sharks skin. Surface tension and whatnot :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Sorry Keith, that’s all hydrodynamics to me :eek:

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Golf balls have dimples for the same reason.
Oi, you can take your laminar flows and your lifting surface effects and you can... ;) ;)

keefysher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W166 GLE350AMG Line 3.0 2017. BMW Z3 2.8 1998.
Golf balls have dimples for the same reason.

I thought it was cos all the crunched up rubber bands inside the golf balls didn't fill the voids and the outer coating pulled in from the mould to fill them. Every day is a skool day. ;);)

BTW is it Friday? Thank crunchie it's friday.

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom