Any F1 fans

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
I like Seb more and more. He was a tw@t in Baku last year. But overall he is quite mature, level headed and articulate.

https://twitter.com/f1/status/983098267670953990?s=21

He does have his moments of greatness and stupidity.

I really don't get Lewis' saying Max didn't respect him when he overtook him, I seem to remember him pushing Nico clear off the track in Bahrain a couple of years ago

Rotorhead500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Used to have a C63...
He does have his moments of greatness and stupidity.

I really don't get Lewis' saying Max didn't respect him when he overtook him, I seem to remember him pushing Nico clear off the track in Bahrain a couple of years ago

Several times, and not just NR as I recall.

I want to like and support LH, but he's developed a whiff of arrogance that grates. If he'd left the press conference comment last week at "I was waiting to put in a good lap..." he'd have been fine. But no, has to add "wipe the smile off your face" and make himself look a tool.

Kimi's (lack of any) response made me chuckle!

C350Carl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
BMW 740Ld xDrive
I think he was referring more to the collision rather than the actual manoeuvre. Lewis and Nico didn’t crash. The only time they did was when Nico was overly aggressive. Spain and Austria being two that spring to mind.

Not saying Lewis is an angel. But he’s a better wheel to wheel racer than most on the current line up. In my opinion I think he’s the best with Alonso, Ricciardo and Vettel close behind.

Rotorhead500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Used to have a C63...
Oh he's got the talent, no doubt. There were more than a couple of occasions though where the only reason contact was avoided was because t'other driver bailed out.

I wish he'd just round his attitude off a bit; his first two seasons he very much let his on-track performance do the talking... and was all the better for it.

And I also wish he'd stop implying he is Senna reincarnated... but that may just be me! :)

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I want to like and support LH, but he's developed a whiff of arrogance that grates. If he'd left the press conference comment last week at "I was waiting to put in a good lap..." he'd have been fine. But no, has to add "wipe the smile off your face" and make himself look a tool.

I would love to support him but there is something "wrong" with him and what he says, he is becoming increasingly isolated and his arrogance is staggering.

I thought Max made a good move, Lewis should know that is Max is behind he will attack, that is his nature, it has nothing to do with respect, is Lewis thinking people shouldn't "go for it" when it involves overtaking him??????

@C350Carl you can hardly call it a collision, he literally caught Max' back tyre with his front wing (or vice versa depending on your view point), no damage at all to his car

C350Carl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
BMW 740Ld xDrive
@C350Carl you can hardly call it a collision, he literally caught Max' back tyre with his front wing (or vice versa depending on your view point), no damage at all to his car

It was a collision however you want to flower it up. The two cars came together and Max suffered damage.

Max ran him off the track as I’m sure Ham had two wheels off the track when it happened. Max hit his front right wheel and caught the front wing. Ham was lucky he never lost his front wing and/or wheel.

I know you don’t like Ham and I’m a fan of his. But I don’t get it when people will blindly blame him for everything, even when it’s not his fault. If Ham is at fault I’ll say so and vice verse. Overall I think it was a racing incident. But the collision was caused by max going for the overtake trying to run Ham off the track.

Ham used to be like Verstappen. He’s matured now though and understands when to take a calculated risk. Ves just sticks it up the inside and hopes the other driver will yield. Often to his own detriment.

I like Ves too and he’s a future champion. But his youthful exuberance sometimes lets him down.

As for Ham being arrogant. I’m sure most of us would be if we could drive a car like he can.

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I know you don’t like Ham and I’m a fan of his. But I don’t get it when people will blindly blame him for everything, even when it’s not his fault.

It is not that I don't like him, I just don't "get" him, he seems to be trying too hard to be liked, posting stuff on Instagram like the boy in a dress then deleting and last week he did the same about Grid Girls coming back in Monaco, he has become a "Snowflake" and is pandering to the masses in order to be liked yet distances himself from all around him.

Don't get me wrong whilst he is no Senna / Fangio he is an amazing driver with an amazing car but should things not go his way he becomes increasingly ruffled in the cockpit

As for Ham being arrogant. I’m sure most of us would be if we could drive a car like he can.

It is not just that, can't quite put my finger on it but there is something amiss about him at the moment, he was a bit weird at the BGP last year on stage, he only seems to have one phrase on the podium "These are the best fans in the world" which he says at every race.

We need some "Gentlemen drivers" again, JB was the last, Danny Ric is one who really enjoys it, F1 needs real characters and Ham is not one, neither is Vet even though his favourite comedy is Faulty Towers.

C350Carl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
BMW 740Ld xDrive
I think the Instagram stuff was born through public pressure and his PR team telling him to remove it.

I don’t like his recent post about lack of diversity in F1. It should only ever be based on driver skill and not colour of skin, who they call god or how much money they can bring. Although we know the latter has happened numerous times.

Ref him getting flustered. Show me one driver who hasn’t? I remember Senna walking off the track in Monaco and not leaving his apartment for 3 days after he crashed just before entering the tunnel.

Anyone (not just sports people) who is working at that level will get frustrated. In fact I bet even you get frustrated when things in your life don’t go your way and you can’t control it. We are all human. Sports people are no different.

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Ref him getting flustered. Show me one driver who hasn’t? I remember Senna walking off the track in Monaco and not leaving his apartment for 3 days after he crashed just before entering the tunnel.

They all do but it seems to affect him more, maybe it is being too used to being out front, don't know.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Max ran him off the track as I’m sure Ham had two wheels off the track when it happened. Max hit his front right wheel and caught the front wing. Ham was lucky he never lost his front wing and/or wheel.
On the run up to the incident you can clearly see Hamilton being forced out to the edge of the track by Max:
search

nintchdbpict000397549903-e1523215314751.jpg

Then immediately after contact you can see how far out Hamilton had to go:
nintchdbpict000397549926-e1523215194358.jpg

Looking at the in car footage you can see max went in deeper into the corner than Hamlton, to the extent he had to avoid the car in front (Alonso) by opening the steering thus pushing Hamilton wide. After the initial opening of the steering he then repeated it 2 additional times before contact was made (quite clear in slow mo). Essentially it looks to me that Max came in too hot, braked too late and couldn't maintain a line that avoided contact. I don't think there was much Hamilton could have done outside of leaving the track.

C350Carl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
BMW 740Ld xDrive
They all do but it seems to affect him more, maybe it is being too used to being out front, don't know.

No, I think they just play the radio transmissions more these days and will do it for leading drivers more than others.

Look at all the transmissions of Alonso complaining over the last few seasons.

C350Carl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
BMW 740Ld xDrive
He really had something to complain about!!!!

Not disputing that. It was just to illustrate that the top drivers get more ‘air time’, especially if they are complaining.

At the end of the day they are human beings like the rest of us. Why people think they should somehow be immune to making rash comments in the heat of the moment is something I don’t get.

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Not disputing that. It was just to illustrate that the top drivers get more ‘air time’, especially if they are complaining.

They will always give the "Stars" more air time, maybe they are more vocal???

mercedes13156

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 200 Cabrio and a Ford Kuga
I've just read the last couple of pages of comments. Interesting! It's all very technical at this level and I like the non confrontational rivalry and banter.

I'm just back from Australia and I went to the Melbourne GP. What a disappointment! We paid a hundred bucks each to get in and couldn't see much. The food was sh1t and very expensive. We missed almost half the race in a line waiting for the food. We got back to the hotel tired, hungry and deafened by the commentator over the tannoy belting out incomprehensible full volume ranting that even the Aussies didn't understand. We didn't see many cars, far less hear them and we ended up 300 bucks poorer for the experience.

Maybe next year I'll join you guys in a much more civilised debate and watch it on the telly, like my wife did. Well, it was on the telly, she didn't watch it. Wish I had.

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom