Anyone else use a brush to clean their car or just sponge?

Boxbrownie

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350Cdi BE but now a Q3
it was a tongue in cheek reference to another (and quite lunatic) thread ;)

I never saw that thread, I just wondered why you would want to look closely at my Polish guys buttons :p

:lol:

S.Speed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Older Citroen Now :-(
I use car washes, car pressure wash stations, Brushes and sponges..
All that governs me is how dirty and what type of muck..We get farm muck and manure around where I live / drive..

I am not too precious about washing my cars and yet none of them have fallen to pieces!
Yes the above methods are used on my present car.
It would be hypercritic not to.:)

Last edited:

flying haggis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
63 plate CLS shooting brake,2.2D SWMBO has 14 plate B class diesel

Carabosse

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C300 AMG Sport Line Premium Plus Coupe (C205)
Gave up washing my car years ago. Found a good (Eastern European) hand car wash. They do an excellent job and I even have a loyalty card!

Moving home in a few weeks time though. Hope I can find another decent car wash.

RichardSmith

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R172 SLC43 AMG; Nissan 300zx; Range Rover Evoque
Surely it depends on the softness of the brush and length of soft bristle etc.

I'd never use a brush at all - hell I cringe when I see people in the jet-wash using that "broom-like" contraption on their cars:shock:

I only ever use a lambswool or microfiber wash-mit; even a sponge will end up rubbing dirt particles into the clear-coat and eventually damage the finish!!

Richard:cool:

Ricardo_e220

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R170 SLK230k 1999
I must admit thatif short on time I wash the dailies with a long handled wash brush from Costco. This is however after snow foaming the car, then rinse then snow foam again and foam on the brush, risnse off and drive.... This car is silver, I have done a lot of miles in and don't have or want to spend the time lavishing on it... Swirls are minimal slide spite the near. 140k miles! I will do that with the lotus which is hand washed only with a microfibre mitt, then dried off with a water magnet towel...

I have a da polisher and menzerna polish... I hate swirls but this car must have hard paint as even under lights which show them it's good.... So some brushes are ok.. I know it hasn't been on the floor of course;-)

OP
J

Jethro UK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220
So are microfibre mitts for washing or drying?

And what the hell is a water magnet towel?

I hate drying so anything, at any price that makes it easier sounds good

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
Microfibre mitts are for washing. I use one exclusively for the wheels.

A water magnet towel is a marketing term for a big, thick microfibre towel used for drying the car.

If you really really hate drying the car why not invest in a DI (that's deionising) vessel and run the final rinse water through it so you can simply let the car air dry without fear of water spots? Very big on the detailing forums. One or two members here may well use them...

Developer

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212 E63 S 5.5 biturbo
If you really really hate drying the car why not invest in a DI (that's deionising) vessel and run the final rinse water through it so you can simply let the car air dry without fear of water spots? Very big on the detailing forums. One or two members here may well use them...

Mine arrived yesterday - if it cuts down on laborious (contact) drying, i'll be very happy.

OP
J

Jethro UK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220
Microfibre mitts are for washing. I use one exclusively for the wheels.

A water magnet towel is a marketing term for a big, thick microfibre towel used for drying the car.

I just flippin ordered a water magnet towel now lol

corbouk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 Sport/2008/2.2 Diesel
I only ever use a brush to get into fiddly alloy wheels. For everything else it's microfibre. Anyone with a black car I can't recommend Poorboys Blackhole enough, it gives a black car the best finish i've ever seen. It's a glaze so wax over the top also.

V6Matty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212/2010/E350 (His) W246/2016/B200 (Hers)
the polish boys round the corner £10 for in and out

does depend on which ones you go to, there are currently 3 in Newark and a 4th on the old A46 past Farndon. now they should all be ok but after one of then removed some of the paint from my bumper a year ago by getting overzelous with the pressure washer and then swore blind it was like that when i pulled in, i now only ever do my car myself and use micro fibre all over and pat dry with a cheep micro fibre towel.

J

jenson1961

does depend on which ones you go to, there are currently 3 in Newark and a 4th on the old A46 past Farndon. now they should all be ok but after one of then removed some of the paint from my bumper a year ago by getting overzelous with the pressure washer and then swore blind it was like that when i pulled in, i now only ever do my car myself and use micro fibre all over and pat dry with a cheep micro fibre towel.

the ones I go to do a good job,not had any problems at all,for a tenner its not worth getting the hose out

steve:lol::cool:

J

jenson1961

I see your not that far from me,only 25mins we will have to have a chin wag when I get the dam car back of the menders

steve:)

exjag

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 avantgarde 2010 3.0
Microfiber Madness (brand name) mitt to wash & Microfiber Madness Waverider towels to dry. Not cheap, but best things I've used for washing a car in 50 years of car ownership.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Gave up washing my car years ago. Found a good (Eastern European) hand car wash. They do an excellent job and I even have a loyalty card!

Moving home in a few weeks time though. Hope I can find another decent car wash.

Many issues with that for me, what are they spraying on your car? I see really strong acids used for wheel cleaning, which admittedly do remove the brake dust, however they also damage the wheels. With prolonged use the wheels often go yellow.

In addition are they registered for trade effluent? are they insured if they hit your car with the end of the jet wash gun or otherwise damage it? Are they a registered business and legal?

V6Matty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212/2010/E350 (His) W246/2016/B200 (Hers)
I see your not that far from me,only 25mins we will have to have a chin wag when I get the dam car back of the menders

steve:)

sounds good Steve, Sorry just back from hols hence the late reply. i'm round the area with my job all the time so stopping off for a coffe and a natter somewhere could be nice. PM me and we can discuss

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom