Anyone had a problem with Automated pumps

d215yq

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1987 W124 300D 280k miles
Hi all,

Always have used automated pumps at independent retailers as they are by far the cheapest out here. I always put the "fill car" option which authorises 100€ but of course car never takes more than 65. Most of the time it seems to just charge the right amount, or occasionally takes 100 and then gives you a credit a day later

2 weeks ago I filled up in one at the other side of the country and they just took the full 100€ when I'm pretty sure it would have been between 50 and 60. Can't go back and their phoneline doesn't work so is this something I should chase now or do these things sometimes take a long time?

I only ask as next recourse is phone UK credit card company which, contrary to popular belief based on past experience are not "on your side" and will see that the full amount was authorised by PIN and say they can't do any more (beware anyone hiring a car who authorises the blocking of the excess - the credit card company will not assist you whatsoever after this point).

What would you do?

peterws1957

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
sl350 /2004/3.7 and CL65/2009/6.0
Hi all,

Always have used automated pumps at independent retailers as they are by far the cheapest out here. I always put the "fill car" option which authorises 100€ but of course car never takes more than 65. Most of the time it seems to just charge the right amount, or occasionally takes 100 and then gives you a credit a day later

2 weeks ago I filled up in one at the other side of the country and they just took the full 100€ when I'm pretty sure it would have been between 50 and 60. Can't go back and their phoneline doesn't work so is this something I should chase now or do these things sometimes take a long time?

I only ask as next recourse is phone UK credit card company which, contrary to popular belief based on past experience are not "on your side" and will see that the full amount was authorised by PIN and say they can't do any more (beware anyone hiring a car who authorises the blocking of the excess - the credit card company will not assist you whatsoever after this point).

What would you do?
Did you not get a printed out receipt from the pump? Armed with that you surely have the evidence.

barnaclebill15

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk220cdi/2006/diesel
I filled up at Tesco last week about £60 worth, looked for the receipt and it was showing printer defect, lucky I was only charged the correct amount though but I often think is it going to be ok when using these pumps.

OP
D

d215yq

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1987 W124 300D 280k miles
Did you not get a printed out receipt from the pump? Armed with that you surely have the evidence.

It doesn't print the receipt unless you ask for one so no record...must admit I do it the other way round I just rely on what appears online to know what I put in...but I never put less than 50 nor more than 70EUR in, at 1.1/l even if the car was totally empty it would take 68EUR.

First problem in 4 years of doing this so will just call the credit card company. Will just have to guess at an amount as they will no doubt not be interested if i put it was "somewhere between 50 and 68".

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
I've had issues in the past where these (French) automated pumps would put a hold on an amount of money until the proper transaction was fully completed. I seem to recall it took 5 days on one occasion. It certainly came as a nasty surprise at the time.

I now always get a receipt from automated machines for this very reason. If there's an issue you have something to help argue your case.

br0ke

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CLK 270, 2008 Vito Sport X
Not a problem in the Vito. Took £97.50 to fill it yesterday. Was thinking this is going to be close...

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom