Anyone know much about GL's

V6Matty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212/2010/E350 (His) W246/2016/B200 (Hers)
So not me but a guy from work has been thinking about getting one and came and ask me about them (bad start already I said lol), anyway, we never seem to have many reports of problems but I guess tat just because we don't see many around, so anyone know much about them, their problems or just general info about running?
Specifically looking at a 07 420cdi

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Afraid not Matt- as you say there's very few around. Look a cracking car though. I did look around vaguely at a couple before we bought the XC90

kid-jensen

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Ml320CDI 2007
Woud have thought as they're basically an ML (W164) that any ML problems would also affect them...

I considered one when I was looking but found the ML quite big enough!

bembo449

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes Cl500, shitron dispatch
ive also toyed with buying a GL , like the chunky looks a lot , bodywork aside I doubt there is anything on one that isn't shared across the rest of the Mercedes range

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
If it's an om642 engine the same as all the 320cdi's then it can have turbo problems , swirl flap motor problems from oil leaking onto it from the turbo inlet seals , oil seals on the top of the engine (10hours labour ) , blocked manifolds from higher mileage cars . Other than this fairly bulletproof .
But , some cars suffer none of these .
Check for ATF change with filter at 37500miles .
Because it's a 4x4 it should have had diff oil changes front and back and transfer case oil changes

Mark A

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
58 ML-320CDI.
Scrap the V6 diesel, go for the V8 diesel instead. Both probably same tax band anyway.
Both are indeed in the same tax band and they are chalk and cheese to drive, so much more torque in the 420 - makes overtaking effortless. Fuel economy wise not much in it between my 420 and the wife's 320 both averaging +/-27mpg.

OP
V6Matty

V6Matty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212/2010/E350 (His) W246/2016/B200 (Hers)
Thanks for the comments all, he's indeed looking at the 4l Diesel engine as I'd said their pretty much no difference in economy at that size of car, did say he should have a petrol as well but they are even rarer it seems.
I suspected they may share the 164 platform and their fore trates on issues but good to get others views.
Only thing with him mentioning it to me is I've now started looking at them, traveling around Switzerland at the moment has just been highlighting some of the pugs short comings :(

s5tuart

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 R230 SL350
I've not owned one but driven a 2015 one quite a bit in Ireland and also in Portugal. Fuel consumption under 30MPG but a great drive and very comfortable, and room inside for a LOT of "stuff"
Not quite a Range Rover in terms of trim luxury but not far away and hopefully a lot more reliable.

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
Thanks for the comments all, he's indeed looking at the 4l Diesel engine as I'd said their pretty much no difference in economy at that size of car, did say he should have a petrol as well but they are even rarer it seems.
I suspected they may share the 164 platform and their fore trates on issues but good to get others views.
Only thing with him mentioning it to me is I've now started looking at them, traveling around Switzerland at the moment has just been highlighting some of the pugs short comings :(
I've also been hitting auto trader for one and I don't even want one ...what's wrong with me :alien:

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
id say, unless they actually NEED a 4x4 and/or 7 seater, there are far better looking, quicker, more economical cars out there to buy. That said, I have seen a couple and compared to the ML theyre considerably bigger, in appearance at least but I think if I was in the market for something like that, id be tempted to look elsewhere, like the bigger of the Toyota Land Cruisers (amazon?) or similar.

BillyBoy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W213 E400d All Terrain
I've had a GL 420CDI for three years. They are great motors with loads of road presence, and as a vehicle, extremely robust. Things to consider, however, they are expensive to run. I do about 350 - 400 miles a week, and on the drive to work (33 miles) typically get between 26 and 29mpg depending on summer/winter and traffic. Round town, 20mpg is doing well!! It costs me about £75-80 a week at current fuel prices.

Servicing is ok, B service from local indie was circa £160, but last one needed brake pads adding another £300. Parts in general can be expensive (mostly because many are large!) so find a good parts shop or make friends with the local merc dealer parts manager so you get a good discount.

Has had a few problems, but it's 11 years old and done 255,000 miles. Had three of the four airbags replaced on the suspension, water pump leak fixed, and did have Black Death, however it still drives like a dream, and very comfortable on long journeys and I love being able to see over the top of all the cars in front in a queue

Cheers,
Bill

Top Bottom