Anyone online for quick buying advice from the experts?

tom1981

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLK/2002/200k
Hi,

You guys have been the oracle when it comes to researching buying an old R170

I've found a 200k manual 6 speed 2002 special edition with 74,000 miles from a dealer. He's doing a new MOT and dealing with a tiny bit of badly treated bubbling.

Checked the jack tubes for rust and the arches are clean, the boot carpet and footwell are dry and I can't see blockages in the drainage holes both ends.

Last full service was 18 months ago and it's only done 2k since. Black leather interior etc. Interior looks good.

So three little flag up problems are the ABS brakes NOT the discs but the brakes you can see through the alloy spokes have a fair amount of corrosion on them although driving it they feel good. Is that a no-no? (I'm a real second hand novice)

The other two are is a slight creak on the back window anything to worry about at motorway speeds? Also this bit tiny of bubbling (picture attached) which he said he would get sorted properly with new MOT.

He was asking £3495, have talked him down by quoting other cars I was going to look at to £2900. Wanted to run these 3 things past wiser men and women than me?

Any thoughts? Thanks as ever! Tom

DQuecb

https://flic.kr/p/DkdMhn

OP
T

tom1981

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLK/2002/200k
Picture of bubbling - what you guys think?

DQuecb

robparker

Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
220d (115), 190d (201), c63 (204), 220ce (124)
Non of those things would particularly worry me.. if you were that bothered about the calipers im sure you could change all four for about £200 plus fitting.
Its not exactly a cheap price (I dont see low miles as a good thing worth paying for).. but if you are planning to keep for a long time i guess the price doesnt matter too much.

OP
T

tom1981

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLK/2002/200k
Thanks so much, Well I am wondering if I should keep looking as there was more touched up bubbling and I would want to keep looking. Spec wise, wheels and interior it's the nicest SLK 200 it seems they made but it's a question of whether a good deal with regards to getting those little body work bits sorted. I would definitely like to invest in something I can keep for a while and smooth the rough edges on but also not more of a money pit than another example. Prices seem to vary massively from £2k to £4.5k for a clean one! I took some photos of the bubbling in name of being thorough:

https://flickr.com/photos/59673759@N...57664670927632

umblecumbuz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 and CLC 204 cdi, MX5, Kia Soul
One reason I sold mine, which looked pristine, was that rust was showing underneath, both on the cross-bracing(which are separate strengtheners that can be unbolted and treated) and on various parts of the chassis.
I had a very small amount of rust beginning on the rear wheel arches, and Malcolm has a great fix for this, using Mini plastic edging. I used this tip and the rust was kept at bay, but underneath was eventually going to be a money pit. Sad sale.

Moral: Do get it up on a ramp before any commitment.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom