Anyone taken one of these off before?

Rgj

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E200K 2008 W211
IMG_0787.JPG Hi everyone
This is the aux input socket from e class 2008 w211..... i can't work out how to get if off so has anyone here had any experience of this type of fitting.I've tried pulling pushing and twisting with no joy.
The socket is faulty and needs changing or modifying so any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks RGJ

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
The securing ring prizes out of the front of it and then it comes out of the back. It's a bit of an odd arrangement.

OP
R

Rgj

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E200K 2008 W211
Excellent......thanks I'll give that a try..... I don't think i would of worked that out myself!

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
Excellent......thanks I'll give that a try..... I don't think i would of worked that out myself!
It's only obvious when it's apart :)

OP
R

Rgj

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E200K 2008 W211
Awesome .....job done

OP
R

Rgj

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E200K 2008 W211
Okay so I have successfully removed this part.....thanks.
The cable to the plug has the following wiring.
Yellow to pin 1
Brown to pin 2
Black to ground
Screened bare cable unattached

I attached a new 3.5mm stereo socket to the cable only to find I'm having exactly the same issue as before ie sound will not playback through aux both left and right simultaneously.
Both sides definitely work as you can have either one or the other working but not both.
Is it possible this wiring is wrong from day one ? And why isn't the screen cable attached ?
Can anyone shed some light on this?

philreed52

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
270clk
Hi
Just about to add aux plug to my clk 2005 but was baffled by screened clear cable as I was going to remove MB plug and solder my own in then make up aux cable .I have been told by radio fitter at work it could have a left and right seperate earth . So will wait until someone comes back with some concrete idea otherwise I might have same problem.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

OP
R

Rgj

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E200K 2008 W211
Hi
Just about to add aux plug to my clk 2005 but was baffled by screened clear cable as I was going to remove MB plug and solder my own in then make up aux cable .I have been told by radio fitter at work it could have a left and right seperate earth . So will wait until someone comes back with some concrete idea otherwise I might have same problem.

Hi Phil
Thanks for your reply.
So have you got the same 3 core and screen cable arrangement?
Please let me know what you find out becauase it really is doing my head in.

philreed52

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
270clk
Hi Phil
Thanks for your reply.
So have you got the same 3 core and screen cable arrangement?
Please let me know what you find out becauase it really is doing my head in.
Hi had another conversation with our guy at work ,he is ex road radio manager, and showed him wiring diagram from Haynes manual. He reckons that clear wire is another earth as it also goes into back of head unit and appears to link with other earth.This might mean left and right channel have an earth each.I might now add I have not yet attempted this myself but it seems to ring true . This would mean linking both earth wires as Jack plug has only 3 connections ?? Might get chance to try this in next few days .

OP
R

Rgj

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E200K 2008 W211
Hi had another conversation with our guy at work ,he is ex road radio manager, and showed him wiring diagram from Haynes manual. He reckons that clear wire is another earth as it also goes into back of head unit and appears to link with other earth.This might mean left and right channel have an earth each.I might now add I have not yet attempted this myself but it seems to ring true . This would mean linking both earth wires as Jack plug has only 3 connections ?? Might get chance to try this in next few days .

Ok so thanks for info.......in the meantime I have (through trial and error) actually got it working but the wiring combination just doesn't make any sense whatsoever!
The combination that seems to work is...... yellow & black to pin 1,brown to pin 2 and bare screen to ground (centre pin) .I have used a good quality Lumberg 3.5mm chassis mount jack socket and I am now getting audio through both channels and it appears to sound correct.
There is a chance I have inadvertently wired this in mono but it does sound correct so at the moment I am happy to leave as is.However this sort of thing really bugs me so please let me know anything else you find out because this can't possibly be the correct combination in my opinion....it's just too weird!

Top Bottom