Are MB dealers in self destruct?

philharve

Reaction score
Website
go.to
Your Mercedes
W202 C230K Auto 2000
Turned off

My local Land Rover dealer has gone in the last month. Although a satellite of a main branch, it had always held a good choice of vehicles from new to 4 years old. Then it started to change until it got to the point where the used stock was never more than 18 months old. Having enquired about something round the 3 year old range they pointed me in the direction of the Auto trader !.

Now if they feel they need to wash their hands of anything more than two years old, it doesn't seem a good advert for the product. Merc dealers seem to have gone down the same road. Perhaps because of the fact they feel the need to keep face lifting vehicles every two years instead of every 5 or 6, the forecourt needs to be kept clear of anything that reminds the new buyer that their shiny star bearer will soon be old hat.

Hi

I would be 'turned off' buying a particular marque if they updated their vehicles every couple of years. Newer is not necessarily better! I suppose if I had unlimited funds and I had the type of character that always demanded the latest model, then maybe I would be attracted back to the MB showroom every couple of years. But I don't have unlimited funds - I am retired - and I don't have an urge to keep up with the Jones - I am already well ahead on the carwise - so I can sit back and enjoy what I've got ever though it is a discontinued model. Would I enjoy it more if it was brand spanking new? Possibly, but only for a short while.

REGARDS

Phil

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
Hi

I would be 'turned off' buying a particular marque if they updated their vehicles every couple of years. Newer is not necessarily better! I don't have unlimited funds - I am retired - and I don't have an urge to keep up with the Jones - I am already well ahead on the carwise - so I can sit back and enjoy what I've got ever though it is a discontinued model. Would I enjoy it more if it was brand spanking new? Possibly, but only for a short while. Phil

Absolutely. I tend to buy cars which are at the end of their production run, or were built towards the end of that run, if I can. The S Class is a good example - W220 built in late 2004 and purchased in late 2006 with 20,000 miles as my "retirement car"! Less than half the original invoice price, from a dealer with "signature" warranty arrangements. All the benefits of the fully developed 220 range, but price helped down by the arrival of the 221. In some ways (dashboard display) it is a generation older than my last "company car" (211), but it was half the age, half the mileage and cost little more. I too have it serviced by an Indy and buy my tyres on line.

In the words of the Sheryl Crow song, what matters is not getting what you want, but wanting what you've got!

hawk20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML250 BlueTEC Sport
What on earth does the Master Race training program stuff into these cheap suited, poorly educated, arrogant idiot minds? Or is it thet they aren't trained. Basic courtesy would be a good start.

And your way of describing them is an example of the basic courtesy you expect is it?

I have found my local MB dealer at Southampton a very pleasant place to do business. Perhaps we are lucky.

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
And your way of describing them is an example of the basic courtesy you expect is it?

I have found my local MB dealer at Southampton a very pleasant place to do business. Perhaps we are lucky.

Then I too, am lucky, as my dealer in Swindon is a very courteous, attentive and accomodating example.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded

Come on lets face facts, you and your family have bought 6 new cars in the last 3 years

OP
lulu

lulu

Reaction score

They were the one's who didn't get my friend's business because of their very unpleasant condescending arrogant manner.

My comment is because of their (amongst others) behaviour.

Dosco

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211
My experience for what is worth was not good and as a result when I am ready to replace I will not use the MB dealer concerned.

Went in to inquire about 2nd hand motors, very polite and helpful - price and model range sir?

THEN in came Mr and Ms We have arrived and to prove it we are here. Ms dropping her C Class Coupe of for a service according to her rather loud vocal assault on the human ear. Mr collecting her in his go faster AMG, who according to 'the voice' was unable to wait as he had a important meeting in London. Salesman drops me like a dog relieving itself of waste product pushes the second hand list into my hands saying without looking at me, "have a look in there" - the 'sir' had gone! and heads off to offer his services to Mr & Ms.We have arrived.....

List dropped on his desk and exit stage left.

Was that a very courteous, attentive and accommodating example. :confused: answers in a sealed envelope please:rolleyes:

HERBIEMERCMAN

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
97. E300.TD. 7 SEAT.ELEGANCE. EST.TOYOTA SUPRA MK4. RS. VAUX. CORSA.GLS AUTO. SPORT.
hi dosco, you describe exactly what i was saying, the mb sales teams know exactly where the money is, they are mercineries, their monopoly will never fail them, so you stay with them untill the warranty runs out, and no more. one day they will be old and watching the finances ( unless they are an ex bank manager or a politician ) and they will experience the ( fart in a space suit ) experience you get in many of the mb showrooms. it's the way of the capitalistic world we live in, when wayn rooney is in his 60's, he will be treated like hurricane higgins, but at least they got the red carpet etc. when they were on top. mb showrooms are for on top people, let them get on with it. i will only get upset if they lobby the 10 yr . scrapping cars white paper ? herbiemercman.

Last edited:

teddycatkin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W107-SL W124-220te W123-230e W201 2.0
Dosco youre gonna love this one---another very true story about car dealerships-years ago when RR was in full swing at the factory in Crewe and we all push biked to work --not far from the West st. entrance was a posh VW dealership--they always had the latest model in the front showroom with a price on the windsceen most of us could only dream of !
We had a lad "on the brush" he swept up the shopfloor had a permenant smile and was not very bright but as honest as the day is long--he used to stop at the dealership day after day on his way home -lean his bike on the window and stare at the cars -and be ushered off in no uncertain manner by the staff.
One day he came into work devastated as his elderly mother who he lived with had passed away - after getting over the bereavment a few weeks later he told us all his mother had left him the house being the only one and a large amount of money in the bank too and he was going to buy a car and learn to drive.
He came into work a few days later with a brown envelope--I have the money for the car he told us --It was the full price in cash of the new car in the showroom window several thousand pounds --the foreman took it off him and it was locked in the safe all day--!
On the way home he stopped and leaned his bike on the showroom window --out rushed the salesman and told him to clear off --but I want to buy that car he said pointing to it--the salesman laughed and went back inside and shut the door on him.
He gave up the driving idea and never bothered after that !

mercglas

Reaction score
Lexus USA have the answer, some dealers there operate a one contact policy whereby the salesperson you buy the car from becomes your key contact for the entire relationship thus the promise made by the salesperson must be honoured by him when you bring the car in for any regular work or problems They do not have service teams, sales teams, parts team front of house. I am told it works well and builds loyalty and repeat business, there is also less of a company car policy in the states which ensures all dealers are not so far up themselves as sadly some MB guys are here.

This was tried in England many years ago - but failed because it is difficult to find people who are expert in each of the different disciplines (it is all to often that a so-called consultant looks at someones job and thinks it is easy) In particular, people who make good salesman are rarely "detail people" and do not like dealing with service and parts issues.

So, good salesmen left to go to more traditional dealerships and the same happened with service and parts people. Probably also the companies involved tried to make cost savings under cover of this "new idea"

However, if Lexus USA are trying it and it is seen to be successful then we can expect to see the others introducing it and eventually it will spread back here!

Rory

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 C270CDi Avantgarde Estate. Bought 2005, sold 2022.
This was tried in England many years ago - but failed because it is difficult to find people who are expert in each of the different disciplines (it is all to often that a so-called consultant looks at someones job and thinks it is easy) In particular, people who make good salesman are rarely "detail people" and do not like dealing with service and parts issues.

There's also a different sort of culture in the US - those "relationship" based salesman will meet customers at their kids Saturday weekend sports events, go to house party barbecues and know everyones birthday date etc.

I struck up a rapport with the sales director (I'm a sales director too) of a Mitsubishi dealer when buying daughter's Colt. Turns out he lives in the next village to us even though the dealership is some distance away. I suggested he could pick the car up if it needed servicing or warranty work and he only half jokingly told me to bugger off. Smashing.

Dosco

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211
I suggested he could pick the car up if it needed servicing or warranty work and he only half jokingly told me to bugger off. Smashing.

My response would not have been bu**ger off to him;)

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom