Are mercs better in winter than bmw's?

anglaslt

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
LHD B63S Brabus (CL63 AMG) and RHD BMW X3 M40i
In an ideal world, then yes two sets of rims would be nice. The comment on stretching or damaging the beading on the tyres is perpetuated by MB themselves, however I am in the rubber/Thermoplatics/Fluoropolymer/elastomer industry and can assure you that it would take a considerably higher force than that required during fitting to damage tyres, certainly a score of changes and more. Most winters will last 3-4 seasons so only a few changes which would be extremely unlikely to cause damage.

Interesting what you say John. I'm only repeating from personal experience where a Nokian winter tyre suddenly deflated on a roundabout within a couple of kms of being fitted for its upcoming third or fourth winter season. At that time I was using only one set of rims but I haven't since.

I bow to your (much) greater knowledge on the rubber/thermoplatics/fluoropolymer/elastomer industry so maybe it was badly fitted, damaged on fitting or just plain bad luck. Whatever the reason, the beading had failed so for the cost of a decent set of used rims I will always use two sets of wheels/tyres. Here, where using winter tyres is mandatory from November-March, hardly anyone will change just their tyres, if only for convenience and to preserve their nice summer rims.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Interesting what you say John. I'm only repeating from personal experience where a Nokian winter tyre suddenly deflated on a roundabout within a couple of kms of being fitted for its upcoming third or fourth winter season. At that time I was using only one set of rims but I haven't since.

I bow to your (much) greater knowledge on the rubber/thermoplatics/fluoropolymer/elastomer industry so maybe it was badly fitted, damaged on fitting or just plain bad luck. Whatever the reason, the beading had failed so for the cost of a decent set of used rims I will always use two sets of wheels/tyres. Here, where using winter tyres is mandatory from November-March, hardly anyone will change just their tyres, if only for convenience and to preserve their nice summer rims.
As I said, in an ideal world I’d go with that. The correct thing to do would be to have a set of steels for winter then there’s no alloy corrosion issue to worry about.
That said- I did that on my W203 and hated the look of the car for 5 months of the year and after that decided not to do that again.

Yugguy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220CDI W204 Elegance Comand
Chaps at what point are winter tyres needed? I live in the Midlands which tends not to get extremes of weather and I got through last winter without feeling like I needed to change my uniroyal summers.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Chaps at what point are winter tyres needed? I live in the Midlands which tends not to get extremes of weather and I got through last winter without feeling like I needed to change my uniroyal summers.
When average temperatures in which you drive drop below 7 degrees C then its the time to change to Winters. Up until then summer tyres are fine.
Above 7 degrees summer tyres generally outperform winters and below that winters generally outperform summers.
Last year in the Midlands there were only a few days I was driving where the temp was below 7 degrees.

Yugguy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220CDI W204 Elegance Comand
Aye, it was pretty mild. I'm interested to see what a proper winter feels like in a RWD car.

keefysher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W166 GLE350AMG Line 3.0 2017. BMW Z3 2.8 1998.
however I am in the rubber/Thermoplatics/Fluoropolymer/elastomer industry.

I too am familiar with that space. But as I started paddling before I went to work, where de rigour clothing was rubber shorts, it was the appeal of cold wet clothing that attracted me :geek::geek:

The 7 degrees also applies to the caravan fridge vents.

But is that during the day, overnight or when?

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
I too am familiar with that space. But as I started paddling before I went to work, where de rigour clothing was rubber shorts, it was the appeal of cold wet clothing that attracted me :geek::geek:

When you are driving most of your miles. If you never drive at night and daytime temps are above 7 then don't bother.
If you drive at night and its -2 when its +7 in the day then its a different matter.

On the rubber thing I used to work for NZ telecom back in the day and one of the guys lived on an island in the Auckland harbour. The distance from where he lived to the city was about 20 miles. He used to regularly canoe to work....

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4

Lol, we are too alike! I paddled and sailed (Ski-Ing in winter) as a profession before ‘real’ work. ‘Twas that indeed got me into neoprene (ish) goods then the rest as they say....

keefysher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W166 GLE350AMG Line 3.0 2017. BMW Z3 2.8 1998.
Lol, we are too alike! I paddled and sailed (Ski-Ing in winter) as a profession before ‘real’ work. ‘Twas that indeed got me into neoprene (ish) goods then the rest as they say....

Small world. I realised I wouldn't make a living paddling, so went to work and did coaching. Then found skiing. It was the L group Co I went to work for and went skiing around the world too!! I did do the Colorado through the Grand Canyon in 1997 after waiting 25 years after seeing a film about it when starting building Apache kayaks at school.

Rory

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 C270CDi Avantgarde Estate. Bought 2005, sold 2022.
Winter tyres can make the difference between twitchy, no grip ridiculous and almost normal road condition like grip.

Hmmm...I've seen many "night and day" comments so perhaps I was expecting too much, but I wasn't that impressed by the Honda Jazz on full winters (Michelin Alpins) my wife had when we had a sprinking of snow one day. Under-steered dramatically on a low speed turn that I expected would be OK.

And I'd driven that car on its original summer (but clearly very soft as they wore quickly) Dunlop SP2030's through the 2009 & 10 winters with no issues at all, apart from me getting out to help someone and immediately going on my backside and jolting my spine - I'm afraid I won't be doing that again.

Ricardo_e220

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R170 SLK230k 1999
No experience of BMs other than seeing neighbour, barely able to get onto his flat drive! That said Mercs aren't great, and imo (as a skier) not even that great (but much better) even with full winters compared to a fwd car

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Fit winter tyres and it won't matter if you're in a BM or Merce, mine will be going on at the start of next month

daibevan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W203 C200 Kompressor Elegance SE 2006 Tanzanite Blue with cream interior
Or live somewhere warmer and only need them once in blue moon. Then stay at home, 'cause no one else can drive either.

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
Or live somewhere warmer and only need them once in blue moon. Then stay at home, 'cause no one else can drive either.
Moving somewhere warmer might cost more than a set of winters :D

MalcQV

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes CLA200
Never really had any problems with any car I have owned. First three cars were all RWD and the rest (talking daily use cars) have all been Front Wheel Drive. The best I had was a 2002 VW Passat with budget tyres, it seemed to go anywhere on road in all conditions.
I have yet to sample my automatic CLK. A part from weekend cars this is the first time in almost 20 years I have had RWD and the 2nd automatic.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Fundamentally if conditions get bad no matter what you drive you go nowhere.
All it takes is one car ill equipped for the conditions and everyone stops.

I used to live in the Peak District and it was a regular occurrence to see cars abandoned in the middle of the road when there was snow. When that happens the road soon gets blocked and even a fully equipped 4x4 won't help.

The best thing for your car for winter is a dose of common sense. Know your limits, know your cars limits and drive (or not) accordingly.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Fundamentally if conditions get bad no matter what you drive you go nowhere.
All it takes is one car ill equipped for the conditions and everyone stops.

I used to live in the Peak District and it was a regular occurrence to see cars abandoned in the middle of the road when there was snow. When that happens the road soon gets blocked and even a fully equipped 4x4 won't help.

The best thing for your car for winter is a dose of common sense. Know your limits, know your cars limits and drive (or not) accordingly.

We’re off to the Peak District this afternoon!
Near Buxton with extended family of 30....
Let the fun begin:)

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
We’re off to the Peak District this afternoon!
Near Buxton with extended family of 30....
Let the fun begin:)
Have fun John, Buxton was my local (decent sized) town till 4 years ago. Just prepare for cold - Its well known for being chuffing cold!

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Have fun John, Buxton was my local (decent sized) town till 4 years ago. Just prepare for cold - Its well known for being chuffing cold!
Cheers Alastair, the weather is looking dire tomorrow but ok for the Sunday pub lunch walk!

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom