Audible books at double speed C-Class

SeanB1643

New Registration
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350e Estate
Hi, anyone else with this problem: If trying to play audible files from an ipod (via usb connector) then the files play at double speed (and are therefore unlistenable)?

My own Mercedes is 2016, and this problem has been there from day 1, regardless of updates. The dealership have been generally useless, and about this issue specifically downright rude and stupid. I recently had a kind person take out the rear of my vehicle, so have been in some hire cars while it has been sorted. I won't bore with the mess ups that has led to me needing 2 different vehicles, but it has proved instructive:
Hire vehicle 1: Brand new E Class. no issues at all, in fact everything about the tech interface is improved massively. Hire vehicle 2, 2018 C Class: exactly the same problem with double speed.

In the absence of any interest from Mercedes in fixing this I post the work-around I've found. It's a pain, it's dangerous if done while driving, but at least audible works:
1) Navigate to an ordinary song on the ipod, and start playing it
2) Then navigate back to the audible file and start playing it - plays at normal speed.

Notes:
a) be careful not to knock the rocker to the side otherwise you are stuffed as the car will jump to the beginning or end of the book, and refinding the place can take up to an hour via the car interface if you are mid-way through
b) remember to navigate back to a normal song before switching off, because even just stopping for fuel is long enough for the problem to re-set, and if you forget you have to go through the initial search while the book scans forward at double speed, because, inexplicably, you can't search while paused.
c) mp3 audiobooks work fine, but sadly Audible will no longer allow us to download in mp3 format and doing the transcode is a bit of a pain.

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom