Audio 20 and Garmin Map Pilot Issues

Peter Lanky

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C Class saloon
I've searched the user manuals, searched forums and tried to get information from MB itself, but getting nowhere. I have numerous issues with both my Garmin Map Pilot and Audio 20, so lets start with the audio.

As MP3 is slowly drifting towards being a museum exhibit, though one would hardly notice seeing as MP3 is still being pushed so much, I decided to convert all my music files into AAC format and copy them onto a USB stick to use in my car. AAC requires smaller files for the same quality sound and will be supported in the future, whereas support for MP3 has ended. I had previously tested a single music file, seeing as I don't always trust the information given that tells me that Audio 20 supports AAC files, and had no problem with it, so I stuck my USB in the socket armed with 4000 music AAC files. The first thing I noticed was that the Audio 20 took an age to start up, possibly up to a minute. After it got going, the album artwork was not displayed, despite it being there when I used a single file. I know the image files are there, as I can see them if attempting a search, but not so during playback.

I'm sure many others have encountered the same, so is there a solution?

For the Garmin Map Pilot, it can take quite some time to 'initialise' when I switch on the ignition. This delay is around 30-60 seconds, which doesn't sound much, but is very annoying on every single occasion when waiting to start a journey. I have had 2 SD cards with the Garmin Map Pilot files, as my initial one was replaced after becoming corrupted during an update by a dealer, but the delay was present with both cards. I have a friend who has the identical car to me, and doesn't encounter this problem.

Again, has anyone else encountered this.

The other issue with Garmin Map Pilot is having the data files and map files updated. When I got my first SD card of Garmin Map Pilot, it was V5 for both maps and data, yet the current version was V7 at the time. My new card is V8. I am aware that in order to update the maps at home, it must be within 60 days of initialisation, which I was not able to do as Mercedes download manager informed me that it couldn't read my SD card (another issue), so I phoned my 3 equidistant local dealers, none of who seemed to have a clue at to the process. One said I could do it on my home PC (which I know to be incorrect), one said I could take the car in, but was I unable to do so as it meant waiting a month before I could have day use of one of their cars, and the third didn't seem to have a clue. In the end, I sent the card by post to the dealer I bought the car from, who was in the process of updating the maps when the SD card became corrupted, which I found when it was returned to me, and they supplied me with a new one.

So does anyone know what the official correct method of having maps updated is, and is it done as a matter of course at an annual service?

Having paid a considerable sum for a car of which a considerable sum will be for the audio/satnav equipment, I want something that works 100%, not a compromise, not a work around, and not something that doesn't do what it should.

number six

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C300 MY2019 W205
I also have GMP with audio 20 system (not command) and from what I have gathered from this and other forums, we are not entitled to mapping data updates after the 60 days initial period. After this, you have to buy new SD cards from MB to get latest mapping, which means if I understand correctly, you were very lucky to get a new free card from your dealer. I have asked for updates at annual services, and the car has come back with the old data unchanged. I understand those cars fitted with the command system are entitled to updates for three years. As you have found, it is next to impossible to get any definite info from MB, and of course I would be happy to hear that anyone has managed to get a more favourable response from their dealers.

OP
P

Peter Lanky

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C Class saloon
I think the problem lies in the complete lack of consistency between dealers, suggesting that they are guessing rather than applying MB policy across the board. They can't even decide whether it is the service department or parts department that is responsible for updates (if there are any). I also get the impression that MB only really cares about the Command system, seeing as that if you do a google search for Audio 20, all the photos are of an older version of the hardware despite the current style being fitted for many months now, mine being from early March this year.

Srdl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC43 AMG 2018 (X253)
From my own personal experience and other posts on this forum, Mercedes dealer are generally pretty hopeless with any SatNav issues including Comand but especially so if it is not Comand!

The guys to ask if you want the correct answer are Comandonline who are forum supporters.

OP
P

Peter Lanky

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C Class saloon
I'm just reviving this thread as I've recently spoken to the dealership I purchased the car from to explain that all the satnav problems I have are still current.

On the subject of initialisation I was give the answer that "This is a characteristic of the Garmin Map Pilot, but not a problem". Is it just me who thinks that waiting for a full minute for the satnav to initialise is far from acceptable, or is is just another of those things where the big organisation can pretty much ignore the customer after the money has been paid?

fabes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E400 Coupe
Ask the guys at Command on line as recommended above
They are on here, or even just email or call them

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
on the loading of music files, my BMW couldn't cope with a USB stick full of WAV files. it would randomly take between 12 to 20 minutes to cope.... allowing navigation, took up to 20 seconds to play (and then be stuck starting on last played track for those 12 to 20 mins) and sometimes took 2 hrs before it would find any changes to the total amount of music on the device.

using the very same USB port and an iPod with the exact same music files (full fat WAV - yes you can do it) but even more CD's up from 40 gig on the stick to over 80 gig the iPod took 6 seconds to wake up and play and worked full navigation after those 6 seconds

Not sure how it works but there's something called indexing (which on the BM I thought was an internal file populating itself with what the source has on it....) the idea being it could then do stuff faster - but in the USB stick's case it couldn't and the iPod did.

The same iPod is in the Merc now and it works like it did in he BM (although now and then it locks up but a key on off cycle fixes it - 4 times in 2 years or something like that - although only 7k miles)

You could start again with a much faster memory card, that might resolve quite a bit class 10, 90 m/bit as a min. And go for a long 2hr drive to allow it to complete the indexing (any reference to that in the book ?)

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom