Auto folding mirrors

Alfie

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.comand.co.uk
Your Mercedes
A150 manual, smart forTwo, W205 AMG line premium plus.
jberks said:
Interesting - on the mirrors damned if you do as you'll wear out the motor and damned if you don't as they jam up.
Anyway - do you know if the active cornering can be enabled on an 04 211?
Living in the rural kneck of the woods, I always fancied that feature.

I am told that active cornering can be enabled. I certainly saw it in the STAR menu last week but as the car we were working on already had it we didnt explore it any further.

My B class does not have Xenons (active cornering is standard with Xenons) and I plan to retrofit COMAND this week to the car and will have this feature enabled at the time. I'll let you all know....

bitonw

Reaction score
Website
www.bit4net.com
panason1c said:
....on the contrary, it appears to me that it is 'UNDER-usage' that causes problems, notably...seized or very stiff mechanisms when the folding option is only used very occasionally.

I can see what you talking about. When I bought my 2003 C220 in June this year and wanted to fold the mirrors they were slow and made some squeaking noise. They probably never been used! After I applied some chain grease they are fine. Now I use them every day since I park the vehicle in a narrow street and don't want that some night driver with sun glasses :cool: on break them off.

Alfie

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.comand.co.uk
Your Mercedes
Well I now have DVD comand in the B class with the latest firmware update, cluster enabled and all.

We tried to enable the active cornering function (even though I dont have xenons) but were unsuccessful. We were able to activate it but it reported errors. Possibly because Xenons are not installed, not sure.

Anyway, the tyre pressure monitoring system which I have already now illuminates the tyre symbol in the speedo if it goes off. You struggle to see the light ordinarilly but it is there! didnt bother with tank content enabling or the date enabling as its my wife's car and she really isnt bothered by those sort of things. Didnt bother with auto folding mirrors as the mirrors are manual.

jberks

Reaction score
M1, Outside lane, somewhere between Leeds and Lond
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XF 3.0 S, LR Freelander 2, Fiat 500 & Fiat Panda
Well serves me right I guess.
Parked up last night, locked the doors and the drivers mirror folded in obediently, leaving the passengers sticking out.
Tried the button and the same happens so it looks like the passenger's mirror fold function has packed in.
I guess I'll pop it down to the dealer. Almost made a year without a warranty claim!

jberks

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
cheers,
I think it's more serious though, it's gone from whipping in and out happily yesterday morning to not even trying today. Could even be a fuse, assuming they had one each. Broken wire, fried motor maybe.
Doesn't really matter, she's well inside the warranty so I'll not worry about it!

jberks

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
So, this morning I thought I'd have a quick listen to see if the motor is trying. So, stood by the mirror and put my ear to it, as I pressed the remote to lock the car. In came the mirror!
Intermittent fault - super!

Alfie

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.comand.co.uk
Your Mercedes
television said:
I do not wish to sit in the middle.
Yes there are people who need to fold there mirrors many times when parked, and yes there are many like me who hardly ever need to fold them.
They have been deleted across the whole range and are not shown or listed as an option in any sales book that I have
MB have decieded that as we all have a switch, for long term reliability it is better to switch them off. Why not ask MB their veiw on it.

malcolm

Auto folding mirrors is, I am assured an option available legitimately from MB on the A/B class.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
My info only goes up to 06 06. At the end of the day, its up to the owners to do what they like with their cars, for me and many others could find it anoying if they folded everytime the car was locked, it does depend on where you live and park, maybe I am spoilt down here where I live.
MB deleted the option on the other cars, not me.
malcolm

HJHPH

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211 E320 CDI Avantgarde Estate.
Hi there, while everybody is talking about this, my wifes C220 coupe was imported from Holland and is the same year as mine (2002) her dash has the option of displaying the temperature in the corner instead of the useless KMs. Can this be changed on my C Class through the computer?
Thanks, Paul.

Alfie

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.comand.co.uk
Your Mercedes
HJHPH said:
Hi there, while everybody is talking about this, my wifes C220 coupe was imported from Holland and is the same year as mine (2002) her dash has the option of displaying the temperature in the corner instead of the useless KMs. Can this be changed on my C Class through the computer?
Thanks, Paul.

Quite probably yes. You just need access to a STAR machine or a friendly dealer although in my experience dealers are very reluctant to make any change to a car that is not specific to that country.

remember that the KM speed is there for a reason. It so that the car conforms to the EU type approval which insists that European cars display the speed in kms as well as mph if UK sourced. Its cheaper for them to produce a speedo which has one scale on it and the kms pop up digitally!

niva441

Reaction score
Alfie said:
Quite probably yes. You just need access to a STAR machine or a friendly dealer although in my experience dealers are very reluctant to make any change to a car that is not specific to that country.

remember that the KM speed is there for a reason. It so that the car conforms to the EU type approval which insists that European cars display the speed in kms as well as mph if UK sourced. Its cheaper for them to produce a speedo which has one scale on it and the kms pop up digitally!

Apparently the UK requirement is only that the vehicle has the capability to display the speed in KPH. If the status line display is changed to temperature from kph the main display can still show the speed in KPH, which I find significantly more legible.

I'm guessing the main reason the auto fold on locking was disabled was that owners complained about the squealing when the car locked.

ennio

Reaction score
bitonw said:
Tip (from my Lexus period); keep them well lubricated... And don't use that WD40!!!

Any advice on what to use, please (rather than what not to use)?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
ennio said:
Any advice on what to use, please (rather than what not to use)?

There are some very good silcon/teflon sprays now,they are clean, they do not dry or harm paint and electics, I think that on is called Slick 20.

malcolm

Alfie

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.comand.co.uk
Your Mercedes
television said:
My info only goes up to 06 06. At the end of the day, its up to the owners to do what they like with their cars, for me and many others could find it anoying if they folded everytime the car was locked, it does depend on where you live and park, maybe I am spoilt down here where I live.
MB deleted the option on the other cars, not me.
malcolm

Further investigation has shown me that auto folding mirrors is standard fit (selectable from the cluster) on the A class, B class and CLK. We fitted a COMAND APS to a 2005 CLK last week which had it already! Its only present in the cluster if you have electric folding mirrors. I suspect that there are other models which still have the feature. I know its not standard on a 2005 onwards W203 though!

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom