auto gearbox leaking

clelly

Reaction score
the auto gearbox in my c200 (202) w reg is leaking.this is a surprise to me as i thought the gearbox was sealed.it has not been bumped or damaged.could it be a gasket which has perished? how many litres of oil does the gearbox hold? thanks

OP
C

clelly

Reaction score
thanks for the reply jberks.thought these boxes were sealed for life!! how many litres will it take to do the oil change?my car is getting on a bit ,do i need to go to mb for oil or is there another make you could recommend.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
There are a few places where the oil could leak from, you do need to know where

star

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Smart + others :)
the most common place for it to leak is the connector plug. not expensive. if oil and filter change should take about 2.75 ltrs.

star

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Smart + others :)
A bit more if you intend to drain the torque converter too.

Yes alot more, was just thinking bout oil leak on sump or connector seal and the work to replace these, not full oil change.

Parrot of Doom

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Was an E300TD, now a Lexus LS400
How many miles has it got on it? If its more than 60k and the gearbox oil hasn't already been changed, it might be worth killing two birds with one stone and doing it all together.

jberks

Reaction score
M1, Outside lane, somewhere between Leeds and Lond
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XF 3.0 S, LR Freelander 2, Fiat 500 & Fiat Panda
thought these boxes were sealed for life!! .
They were, but it turned out that the 'life' bit wasn't as long as it should have been so they quietly dropped the idea and put fluid changes back on the schedule. Views vary but to put it in context mine is 2.5yrs old with 47k on the clock and the dealer's computer insisted on it being done. The dealer didn't seem convinced but as I'm keeping her a good while yet I figured it made sense.
As Star says, the connector plug is common - that's where mine was leaking apparently (I didn't know but the warranty sorted it so I didn't care either!)
Get the panels off, give it a good clean and identify where it's coming from first, then fix the seal, and change the fluid and filters. Well worth doing if you intend keeping it but do use proper MB parts and fluid.

OP
C

clelly

Reaction score
thanks everyone who replied,definately good advice.question regards black c55s comment on the torque convertor. if i go to an indie to get this work done will they automatically replace all of the oil, or do i have to specify i want the torque convertor drained as well.if they do a total drain how many litres will need to be replaced. im trying to get an idea of the cost.thanks

OP
C

clelly

Reaction score
many thanks to all for your help

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom