Auto gearbox vibration

David124T

Reaction score
Hi. It's that 1990 300TE 24v again! But at least it's running now.
There is a harsh vibration when drive is selected. All the other gear lever positions don't have this. Is there anything that I can check before I get the box looked at? I haven't changed the ATF yet but it is topped up the the correct level. Thanks for any suggestions. If it helps, the transmission is 722359 (means nothing to me).

David

wscheffer

Reaction score
Website
www.scheffers.com
I belive the fault you are describing is:

Double engagement jolt when transmission is shifted into "D". :rolleyes:
This is caused by variations in friction value on brake band B2.

Remedy from MB:

Change to different oil in transmission.

Drain only 5 liters and add 5 liters of new ATF oil.
Percentage of new ATF oil should only be Approx. 70%

No longer use ATF oil with part number 001 989 07 03/11 :cool:

Bolide

Reaction score
Website
www.w124.co.uk
Your Mercedes
BMW 525 Diesel Touring
There is a harsh vibration when drive is selected.
Jolt or vibration?

If it's a jolt, try doing it with the footbrake on and off to see if the jolt changes. It may be play in the drivetrain or it may be that Drive is slow to engage and is coming in with a bang

Any difference between a hot and a cold gearbox?

Does the car rock when you start or stop the engine? If it does I'd suspect engine and/or gearbox mounts are worn

Does the car drive OK?

Nick Froome
www.w124.co.uk

OP
D

David124T

Reaction score
Jolt or vibration?

If it's a jolt, try doing it with the footbrake on and off to see if the jolt changes. It may be play in the drivetrain or it may be that Drive is slow to engage and is coming in with a bang

Any difference between a hot and a cold gearbox?

Does the car rock when you start or stop the engine? If it does I'd suspect engine and/or gearbox mounts are worn

Does the car drive OK?

Nick Froome
www.w124.co.uk

It is a noticable vibration that starts when engaging drive. There isn't a jolt. In reverse, neutral and park there isn't any vibration. The vibration returns when I stop and the engine returns to tickover. The car doesn't rock and it drives well. Thanks

David

Bolide

Reaction score
Website
www.w124.co.uk
Your Mercedes
BMW 525 Diesel Touring
Get the car on a ramp, engage gear and watch what happens. I'd suspect a failed engine or gearbox mount. Or maybe a very worn prop doughnut or a worn prop centre bearing

Or a knackered gearbox

With the car in the air and in Drive you should be able to see what's vibrating

Nick Froome
www.w124.co.uk

OP
D

David124T

Reaction score
Does it do it if you go from N to 3?

Get the car on a ramp, engage gear and watch what happens. I'd suspect a failed engine or gearbox mount. Or maybe a very worn prop doughnut or a worn prop centre bearing

Or a knackered gearbox

With the car in the air and in Drive you should be able to see what's vibrating

Nick Froome
www.w124.co.uk

Yes, it does it in D,3 & 2. I'll check out the rubber bits at the weekend. Probably end up being a knacked gearbox though. At least I should still have reverse:cry:

David

Hibbo

Reaction score
Yes, it does it in D,3 & 2. I'll check out the rubber bits at the weekend. Probably end up being a knacked gearbox though. At least I should still have reverse:cry:

David

Don't worry mate, it sounds like knackered engine mount, probably nearside.

My 190 did exactly the same, when you engage a drive, the engine twists slightly and compresses the nearside mount. If it's shot it transfers the engine vibrations to the chassis.

Sit in the car with it in N, and have someone compress the N/S mount with a pry bar. Hopefully you will get the vibration you get when in gear. Hey presto - a knackered engine mount!

Don't be stingy like me; change both of them!

OP
D

David124T

Reaction score
Thanks for the tip. I'll let you know. David

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom