Auto rolls back

stevieg.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk 280 3.0 v6
Hi when stopped at junctions etc. wont hold, if on a slight hill tends to roll back.
Any ideas why, Could it be hydraulic pressure?

Last edited:

Srdl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC43 AMG 2018 (X253)
I don't know whether it was on your car but all recent Mercs have a "Hold" function. Your handbook should have details.

Basically, you stop as normal and then you give the brake pedal another little prod. That should then bring up HOLD on your fascia display and, to move off, you just press the accelerator.

You may need to persevere with this as it is can be hard to achieve at first. Some say they have to press it harder, some just a gentle prod. It took me a couple of weeks to get the hang of it and it now work 9 times out of 10 with no problem.

Plasmadaddy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C Class Cabriolet
My new C class does the same thing. I use the HOLD function most of the time but its pretty disconcerting to have an automatic vehicle roll backwards on a hill if you forget!!

drmw

Reaction score
Website
www.autonomed.co.uk
Your Mercedes
M6 Cab - prior to that, SL63 AMG, A-M V8 Vantage, SL55, SL500 and many more
Hi when stopped at junctions etc. wont hold, if on a slight hill tends to roll back.
Any ideas why
at a guess, because you are not applying the brakes

mikestrivens

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 W124 320TE, 1998 R129 SL500, 2016 Triumph Tiger 800 XCx
All mine have held on the torque convertor without rolling backwards. Perhaps this is another feature introduced by Mercedes to crash more cars thereby increasing sales.

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
Depends surely on how steep the hill is as to whether it'll roll back. My car doesn't have HOLD but it does have hill start assist where by it holds the brakes on for 'a short time' after removing your foot from the brake pedal ie plenty enough time to get to the throttle.
I upset a mate that was criticising other drivers that kept their foot on the brake because it blinded others behind them. I pointed out that his SBC brakes also held the brake lights on :rolleyes:

davemercedes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007 Merc 220 CDi Est Auto Av (s203)
AFAIK there's no hold function on my C Estate (2007 S203) although I will have to try nudging the brake pedal as described. I've never seen 'HOLD' appear on the dash display. But as Mike Striven says above it holds fine purely on the torque converter with engine at normal tickover speed. tbh I can't recall it rolling back even on very steep hills.

L John

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 C350 Petrol Elegance
at a guess, because you are not applying the brakes

That would have been my guess too.
When removing a foot from the brake pedal the car wont go forward up the hill, is there a fault or do I have to press another pedal somewhere?
Not really automatic is it, if I have to press pedals and steer the bl**dy thing :rolleyes:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
The difference of just a can few per miles can make all the difference, it can make 25 more can make all the difference

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Great to see you active again Malcolm, not sure you posted on the right thread.
Take it easy but keep at it, you're a legend.
Very few drop back in reversion, some a wheel do with just a fuse of idle, something that cannot easily be changed

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Yes idle speed can make a big difference. Sadly as Malcolm says it's not easy to change.

flowrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230)
IME all autos will roll back on a hill unless you up the revs slightly or use HOLD.

davemercedes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007 Merc 220 CDi Est Auto Av (s203)
That would ...
Not really automatic is it, if I have to press pedals and steer the bl**dy thing :rolleyes:

Hmm...
They had one law suit in the US where a camper driver put his automatic on cruise and went to sit in the back...
- After the crash he sued, saying it didn't work properly!

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
That would have been my guess too.
When removing a foot from the brake pedal the car wont go forward up the hill, is there a fault or do I have to press another pedal somewhere?
You need an Uber... ;)

DavidR

Reaction score
Not sure if it's relevant, but both 5G boxes I've had appear to have an automatic hold function, but only if they are in W mode, not in S. In W it will hold on the steepest hills (seems almost like a one-way clutch has been engaged), but in S, it will roll back on steeper hills.

Oddly, it appears to have the same in Reverse.. I've not tried it out too much, but in W it certainly appears to have a hill-hold function, exactly the same as when in D (but in the other direction of course!) Not tried S in reverse to see if it rolls back (forwards!) or not.

Scoob

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2012 C350 CDI Sport Estate
Oddly, it appears to have the same in Reverse.. I've not tried it out too much, but in W it certainly appears to have a hill-hold function, exactly the same as when in D (but in the other direction of course!) Not tried S in reverse to see if it rolls back (forwards!) or not.

Mine certainly holds in reverse. Our driveway is steep and I always reverse park. If I come off the throttle while backing up, the car holds its self perfectly.

When going forwards it's a little different. I always use the "Hold" feature if I'm going to be stationary for any length of time, so at traffic lights or a junction. However, if I'm on an upward incline in slow-moving traffic, edging forward slowly and then come to a halt not using the brake, the car appears to hold by its self. If however I've come to a halt using the brake, then let off the brake it'll roll back. Note that this is only on minor inclines, not steep hills - I just automatically use "hold" in that situation.

Scoob.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom