Autobox on 83 230TE

Mister Millions

Reaction score
Hello there everybody.

I have recently bought a 1983 230TE with 175000 miles (my first merc :), The gearbox feels fine and smooth overall but has a few little quirks. When i pull away gently the car takes off in second gear, only when i boot it will it actually take off in first gear. Silly question, is this normal. The car has plenty of power to pull away in second, it just seems a bit odd. Also after running for a while the gearbox clunks when i change between reverse or drive..
If i floor the car there is a bit of a delay before it kicks down.. also odd..

The engine feels good but is smokes a little especially when revved hard or after being in traffic for a while and only when i first accelerate, it doesn't smoke continuously and the smoke is more white than blue. I understand the engine is old, just not sure if it needs a complete rebuild or something cheaper.

Any suggestions

Cheers
Maximilian

paulcallender

Banned
Reaction score
2nd gear start (with 1st gear available on kickdown) is normal, so no worries! Also, the delay in kickdown is normal, though of course it depends what the delay is. A little delay is normal. It would be worth checking the level and condition of the transmission fluid, and changing it if needs be.

Re: the smoking, the symptoms you describe sound like valve stem seals. Most people reckon on taking the head off to replace these. Some people have worked out a technique where its possible to not remove it (the top bits of the valve are removed and the valve stays in by air pressure, or something) but of course, if it drops, you're then committed to removing the head. A search on this forum would probably yield more info on this. I have also heard, but never myself experienced, that you can add an additive that softens the seals and makes them seal again.

OP
M

Mister Millions

Reaction score
Cheers, that is very reassuring to know. i have only had the car a week, so its all new to me. I will look into the stem seals. Also the kickdown is not too long so thats also good to know. Once again Cheers

shirubaby

Reaction score
I have the same problem with my 300ce. I get plumes of smoke (white/grey colour) when accelarating hard.

I've had the head gasket and valve stem seals replaced 3 weeks ago.

I'm using low-viscosity oil to cure a hydraulic tappet noise (which is working) ... and I'm wondering if this is causing the smoke.

I am also loosing small amounts of transmission fluid...there is a leak somewhere. can this be related as well? I've read somewhere there is a diaphram that needs to be replaced, otherwise transmission fluid will get sucked into the intake manifold. Is this correct?

It's embarassing to see plumes of smoke coming out the back of the car when accelerating hard.

Can anyone advise me, please?

Shiru

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
The standard formular is below and will tell you the condition of valves and bores

If it smokes only when you rev it up from idle and then clears, it is valves
If it smokes when accelerating normally, then its Rings/bores.

To test do a compresion test, remove sparking plugs, take a reading from a cylinder, then squirt some oil into the bore and test again, if the reading is much higher, then it is rings/bores.

Malcolm

tom7035

Reaction score
shirubaby said:
I have the same problem with my 300ce. I get plumes of smoke (white/grey colour) when accelarating hard.

I've had the head gasket and valve stem seals replaced 3 weeks ago.

I'm using low-viscosity oil to cure a hydraulic tappet noise (which is working) ... and I'm wondering if this is causing the smoke.

I am also loosing small amounts of transmission fluid...there is a leak somewhere. can this be related as well? I've read somewhere there is a diaphram that needs to be replaced, otherwise transmission fluid will get sucked into the intake manifold. Is this correct?

It's embarassing to see plumes of smoke coming out the back of the car when accelerating hard.

Can anyone advise me, please?

Shiru
Shiru, yes, a faulty diaphragm in the autobox vacuum control unit will suck ATF through the vacuum line to the inlet manifold. This would explain both ATF loss with no sign of external leakage, and exhaust smoke. Unit left hand side of gearbox I think and apparently can be repaired/replaced 'in situ'.

shirubaby

Reaction score
thanks guys for your advice... I will look into this when I get my friend's garage and pit next week.

One more observation (and this might not be relavent): the effect happens only when the engine is moderately warm. i.e. not yet reached it's operating temperature..
Could this plume of smoke be just the moisture in the exhaust being forced out at a high rate when I accelerate hard?
I cant seem to reproduce it when the engine is fully warmed up.:confused:
I have a big bore remus exhaust (not by choice as I like a quite motor, but it came with the car.).

mercmonkey

Reaction score
Im sure theres someone on here will do a swap for your remus exhaust for a good std one lol

I just paid 380euros for a remus backbox for my 190E (yes i know... more money than sense, but id rather that than an exhaust you can smuggle immigrants in

shirubaby

Reaction score
yikes...i didn't know they where that expensive. Might take more care of it then, when going over speed bumps.

shirubaby

Reaction score
update on the smoke issue: Talked to my mechanic and he says it's probably the thin oil I use. Malcolm was right (in a way) the oil is probably coming through the piston rings and getting burnt off...during the early morning startups. Once that's gone the car is fine. Oil pressure is ok. so I guess I can leave it until I get another oil change...and move to a thicker oil. I checked the diaphragm for the autobox and sucked on the tube hard. No oil came up. There is a vacuume there. so that not the problem. My transmission oil leak is from somewhere else...(note: I've asked the question in another thread).
Phew! one thing less to worry about. Cheers guys
Shiru

Top Bottom