autobox service, reasons not to!

rapide

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1997 E230 (no rust) 2016 volvo xc60 r/design. se. lux. nav.
phoned local main dealer in redhill surrey today to ask for price on this ( 722.6 box) 210.e230.1997 year, asked to wait while they spoke to workshop manager and told that he says my age/year of vehicle doesnt need the box oil changing, later ones do but not mine, that was cheap wasnt it she says! so dont they want the work! Local indie at gatwick says , yes there is a filter inside but you dont change it or the oil as its special stuff! and his customers wont pay for it if he has to change it for any reason and he has to put in dexron atf, . Makes you wonder doesnt it but as i serviced the box on my 190e from new i will do this one as well just for piece of mind! the talk goes on! all the best Rap.

Cole@MBS

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.mbssouthampton.co.uk
Your Mercedes
124 300 CE 24 Coupe, C220CDI, Porsche 911 4s, Dolomite sprint,
Your box should have a change of oil and filter at 40.000 miles.

LYNALL

Reaction score
Auot box place local to where i work laughed when i said about the mb special oil and he told me he only uses atf dex 3 in everything.

Lynall

OP
R

rapide

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks for that Sam, exactly the miles i did the old box at, but getting older ,well old! after spending most of the sixties and seventies in dealers ( mercs included) occasionally i try other avenues but get stonewalled with garbage when i really know the answers, so its get out and get under again i will have to dust off the snap tool chest again! many thanks for your helpfull info, all the best Rap

Cole@MBS

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.mbssouthampton.co.uk
Your Mercedes
124 300 CE 24 Coupe, C220CDI, Porsche 911 4s, Dolomite sprint,
Messey job on your back, just remember new gasket as well Rapide!

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Messey job on your back, just remember new gasket as well Rapide!

It is when you have the sump off and you have an itch, of a fly settles on your nose, you wipe you nose with your hand and your elbow goes into the the drained fluid bowl, that is now upset and soaking into you under wear, you bash you head something silly while trying to get out quick.

OP
R

rapide

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
It is when you have the sump off and you have an itch, of a fly settles on your nose, you wipe you nose with your hand and your elbow goes into the the drained fluid bowl, that is now upset and soaking into you under wear, you bash you head something silly while trying to get out quick.
sounds as though you have been there as well malcomb but it gets worse when your bulb goes in your lead light at the same time , lead light ! showing my age again! well we where shown our spot of "floor!" when you got the job, only the lube man got a ramp! Etype jag clutch changes what memories! all the best. rap.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
sounds as though you have been there as well malcomb but it gets worse when your bulb goes in your lead light at the same time , lead light ! showing my age again! well we where shown our spot of "floor!" when you got the job, only the lube man got a ramp! Etype jag clutch changes what memories! all the best. rap.

Lead lamps, I still have one, last year I pushed it out of the way and ½ hour later I could smell rubber, it had melted the side wall of a tyre

5pares

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320cdi
The early 722.6 boxes where designed for lifetime,with no oil changes,hence no drain in the converter.The newer boxes are only changed once at 37,500 miles to clear out any debris.I recommend changing any auto box oil at 35-40,000 miles.

haroonz7

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C250 TD Auto, BMW M3 CSL, Honda Integra Type R DC-2
Mb Bradford are doing my change at 160 Inc vat parts and labour. Cheaper than some indies. Not sure if my c250 td has the same box. But am sure malc will have the answer

BlackC55

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C43
Auot box place local to where i work laughed when i said about the mb special oil and he told me he only uses atf dex 3 in everything.

Lynall

What a load of toilet. Dextron III is not good enough for the 722.6 box.

Wellington

Reaction score
Fresh new oil never hurt any machinery, BWM use this sealed for life idea and the oil is very expensive something like £180 or so for a fill

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Fresh new oil never hurt any machinery, BWM use this sealed for life idea and the oil is very expensive something like £180 or so for a fill

Yes I had a look on the BMW forums 2 years back and they sure had problems with that daft idea sealed for life.

The rotten thing was with MB that if you went over to assyst, then MB changed the fluid at 40k miles

ALFIEBEARD

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
JAGUAR XF-R SPORT
What a load of toilet. Dextron III is not good enough for the 722.6 box.

I tend to agree with what you say as I know my local garage owner(good mechanic too) owned a 320 CDI 2004 version and heard about the glycol probs and decided he would change the autobox oil:rolleyes:, this car had only covered around 35000mls, he went ahead and drained it off inc the torque convertor, and he refilled it with a quality ATF,::( unfortunately the box started doing rough changes then expired within 1000mls, he eventually bit the bullet and sent the car to a Mercedes dealer who said the box was damaged beyond repair the job cost in excess of £3000 to do, he told me he thought that everyone was talking bollox about the use of special mercedes oil, but he found out the hard way.
Regards
Alfie B

Parrot of Doom

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Was an E300TD, now a Lexus LS400
The early 722.6 boxes where designed for lifetime,with no oil changes,hence no drain in the converter.The newer boxes are only changed once at 37,500 miles to clear out any debris.I recommend changing any auto box oil at 35-40,000 miles.

No, the gearbox was designed for regular oil changes, which is why it has user-serviceable components (lots of 722.6 boxes have a TC drain, including mine).

The only people who said it didn't need changing were the accountants, and what do they know about oil. Its sad that some companies still believe this - personally knowing what I know now, if any company told me this I wouldn't be going back for anything.

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom