Autoglym LIFESHINE Protection any good

jock73

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ml320/02/3200
ive been talking to a local garage and they've offered me a full valet inside and out and a Autoglym LIFESHINE Protection all over for £300 for my ml320, has anyone had this done before and is it worth it?

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
Noooooooooo !!!! :shock: . You can buy similar products for a lot less .
If you decide something like this is what you want , get a local detailer to do it for less .
Plenty of good car detailing cleaning advice on this site .

Binnedit

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 W216
What Wighty said.

Also depends on the state of paintwork. The Lifeshine wont properly adhere to the paintwork if they are just going to wash it.
Therefore the lifespan of the product will be shortened.
Lots of variables .....

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
As above , forget that sham and get your local detailers advice

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
@ OP ...Prepare yourself for a lot of smoke and mirrors.

All the reputable manufacturers have excellent products, and as mentioned earlier, good preparation is the key.......if you put a sealant or coating (different products so work out which you need) over a poorly prepared surface it is still going to look bad.

Longevity claims are exaggerated and are probably based on ideal circumstances and some products need to be "maintained". Do your research and consider your needs. You can pay hundreds of £ for a small tub of wax........there are 1000's of videos testing various products on YouTube.

"Detailing' is just a marketers way to say "giving the car a thorough clean" there is no science to it. If I wanted my car "detailed", I'd look for an established business with a building and covered/enclosed cleaning bays and very neat and clean looking - they are around.

Certainly wouldn't use a 'man in a van' or my local garage who is going to wash ("detail') my car in the sun on a windy day.

Headhurts

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes GLC300 2021
All good advice on here but when I was looking into it and I cannot remember the products the detailers I spoke with were at their cheapest around £300 and some were around the £500 mark.

I love doing my car but as I get older even a wash followed by a wax is a daunting task but I’m too OCD to trust many with my car.

Oh apparently the wife says it’s our car but that only applies when a shopping trip is required not when the cars need cleaning or maintaining.

Robin

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
Washing and pol
All good advice on here but when I was looking into it and I cannot remember the products the detailers I spoke with were at their cheapest around £300 and some were around the £500 mark.

I love doing my car but as I get older even a wash followed by a wax is a daunting task but I’m too OCD to trust many with my car.

Oh apparently the wife says it’s our car but that only applies when a shopping trip is required not when the cars need cleaning or maintaining.

Robin

Washing and polishing the car is good exercise;). I'm in my mid 60's and do mine on a regular basis but it lives in the garage so I can wash today, and then take a couple of days to wax etc so less arduous.

My wife will drive around in a filthy car for weeks until, I am washing mine then it is "seeing as you have everything out, will you do mine as well please - it is sooo dirty"

C350Carl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
BMW 740Ld xDrive
@ OP ...Prepare yourself for a lot of smoke and mirrors.

All the reputable manufacturers have excellent products, and as mentioned earlier, good preparation is the key.......if you put a sealant or coating (different products so work out which you need) over a poorly prepared surface it is still going to look bad.

Longevity claims are exaggerated and are probably based on ideal circumstances and some products need to be "maintained". Do your research and consider your needs. You can pay hundreds of £ for a small tub of wax........there are 1000's of videos testing various products on YouTube.

"Detailing' is just a marketers way to say "giving the car a thorough clean" there is no science to it. If I wanted my car "detailed", I'd look for an established business with a building and covered/enclosed cleaning bays and very neat and clean looking - they are around.

Certainly wouldn't use a 'man in a van' or my local garage who is going to wash ("detail') my car in the sun on a windy day.

To give a proper answer as someone who details cars.

Correct, preparation is the key. But some products work better and give a better level of preparation than others.

EG Mercedes use a very hard ceramic clearcoat on their modern cars (circa 2005 onward). You will find it extremely difficult to remove swirls and random deep scratches with a dual action polisher. It can be done. But only with the right polisher, pad and polish combination. It also takes a damn sight longer than doing it with a rotary polisher. Using a DA in this instance requires a specific type of pad, with an aggressive polish and a higher speed. This itself causes issues for the inexperienced as you can rapidly burn through paint in a few seconds flat if your not careful. Especially on areas of styling lines or sharp contours to the body work.

Some, not all, longevity claims are exaggerated. They are normally based on a car that experiences light use. Not a daily driver chugging up and down the motorways every day. However there is quite a lot of science that goes into the creation of these sacrificial layers/protective coatings. Especially when you start getting into the realms of ceramic crystal coatings (GTechniq Crystal Serum and Gyeon MOHs etc)

Detailing is not giving the car a thorough clean. I can give any car a thorough clean in a few hours. But I can’t remove all the swirls and random deeper scratches in anything less than a few days. As a rough rule of thumb (it is all dependent on the car and it’s condition) when I speak to people I tell them I can achieve the following.

1 day - approx 60% correction (minor swirls removed). Interior hoovered and wiped down. Engine bay pressure washer rinse but no thorough cleaning. Exterior glass cleaned.

2 days - approx 75% correction (all swirls and some lighter scuffs/scratches removed) interior hoovered, seats cleaned (and nourished if leather) engine bay cleaned, degreased. Exterior and interior glass cleaned. Rain repellent applied to windscreen.

3 days - approx 90% correction (all swirls/scuffs and scratches gone unless have breached the clearcoat completely) remainder as for 2 days regarding interior, engine and glass.

4 days - as for 3 but a full deep clean of the interior and engine bay, all external windows cleaned, polished and treated. Interior windows cleaned, polished and windscreen and front side windows treated with anti fog coating.

There are then the custom jobs where people pick and choose various aspects and that then creates a bespoke quote.

Ideally you want a decent unit to go to. But not all detailers have that luxury and it depends on the level of correction the customer wants. Most decent ones that offer a mobile service will generally only be maintenance washes and a one day light correction. They also usually carry a lightweight gazebo so they can work out of the sun/wind when doing the polishing.

The thing to remember is that detailing is done to make the car look the best it can (often better than the day it was new in terms of paintwork condition) and then make subsequent cleaning a lot easier. There is however no ‘miracle’ product out there that will keep an in use car pristine forever.

As for the likes of Lifeshine, StarGuard etc. They are not worth the money they charge as it’s applied by some young lad who doesn’t have a clue about the preparation required. You can buy the stuff for circa £50 and apply it yourself.

The money charged by detailers sounds a lot. But it isn’t.

Eg a 3 day detail I would charge around £450 depending on the size of the car and what type of clearcoat it had. This would be approx 36hrs work on the car. Out of that I would expend around £60-70 of products (cleaning and preparation agents, polish, destroyed pads, coatings etc). So if we take as a rough rule £390 left. That means I’m earning just under £11/hr for the actual work I’m doing. So it’s not actually a lot. You are basically paying for a detailers time and experience. Then there is the overheads of insurance (public liability, vehicle insurance etc) rent of unit space, utilities (electric, water and gas) licence from councils etc etc.

So it’s not just giving a car a thorough clean.

If that comes across as a bit arsey,confrontational it’s not meant that way. Just putting the viewpoint across from the detailing side.

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
Fair comment and I doubt anyone is questioning you but, there are a lot of cowboys out there and even more misleading information.

I always thought that detailing was different to paint correction or am I missing a detail?:)

Are you doing detailing in the ME? Where are you? I've spent several years in Qatar!

McDonald

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2004
I wish you were near me Carl, I'd be happy to buy four days of your labour at those rates. Like Headhurts, I find the labouring quite strenuous. What Rory describes as a good workout, I find knackering. But like anyone else who reads these pages, I love to see my car gleaming.

Last Saturday, I washed and polished my car and intended to wax it on Sunday but torrential rain from dawn til dusk put a stop to that plan. I'll try again this weekend. I've spent a ludicrous amount of money on unctions for the car, so I've really got to put in the work.

C350Carl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
BMW 740Ld xDrive
Fair comment and I doubt anyone is questioning you but, there are a lot of cowboys out there and even more misleading information.

I always thought that detailing was different to paint correction or am I missing a detail?:)

Are you doing detailing in the ME? Where are you? I've spent several years in Qatar!

There are various levels to detailing. But paint correction is a large part of it. You can go from just washing a car carefully all the way to wet sanding to remove the ‘orange peel’ effect. It all depends what the owner of the car wants doing.

I’m not doing it the ME as I don’t have the time. But once I return the UK then it will be something I take up again.

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 2013 C350 CDI Pan roof
To give a proper answer as someone who details cars.

Correct, preparation is the key. But some products work better and give a better level of preparation than others.

EG Mercedes use a very hard ceramic clearcoat on their modern cars (circa 2005 onward). You will find it extremely difficult to remove swirls and random deep scratches with a dual action polisher. It can be done. But only with the right polisher, pad and polish combination. It also takes a damn sight longer than doing it with a rotary polisher. Using a DA in this instance requires a specific type of pad, with an aggressive polish and a higher speed. This itself causes issues for the inexperienced as you can rapidly burn through paint in a few seconds flat if your not careful. Especially on areas of styling lines or sharp contours to the body work.

Some, not all, longevity claims are exaggerated. They are normally based on a car that experiences light use. Not a daily driver chugging up and down the motorways every day. However there is quite a lot of science that goes into the creation of these sacrificial layers/protective coatings. Especially when you start getting into the realms of ceramic crystal coatings (GTechniq Crystal Serum and Gyeon MOHs etc)

Detailing is not giving the car a thorough clean. I can give any car a thorough clean in a few hours. But I can’t remove all the swirls and random deeper scratches in anything less than a few days. As a rough rule of thumb (it is all dependent on the car and it’s condition) when I speak to people I tell them I can achieve the following.

1 day - approx 60% correction (minor swirls removed). Interior hoovered and wiped down. Engine bay pressure washer rinse but no thorough cleaning. Exterior glass cleaned.

2 days - approx 75% correction (all swirls and some lighter scuffs/scratches removed) interior hoovered, seats cleaned (and nourished if leather) engine bay cleaned, degreased. Exterior and interior glass cleaned. Rain repellent applied to windscreen.

3 days - approx 90% correction (all swirls/scuffs and scratches gone unless have breached the clearcoat completely) remainder as for 2 days regarding interior, engine and glass.

4 days - as for 3 but a full deep clean of the interior and engine bay, all external windows cleaned, polished and treated. Interior windows cleaned, polished and windscreen and front side windows treated with anti fog coating.

There are then the custom jobs where people pick and choose various aspects and that then creates a bespoke quote.

Ideally you want a decent unit to go to. But not all detailers have that luxury and it depends on the level of correction the customer wants. Most decent ones that offer a mobile service will generally only be maintenance washes and a one day light correction. They also usually carry a lightweight gazebo so they can work out of the sun/wind when doing the polishing.

The thing to remember is that detailing is done to make the car look the best it can (often better than the day it was new in terms of paintwork condition) and then make subsequent cleaning a lot easier. There is however no ‘miracle’ product out there that will keep an in use car pristine forever.

As for the likes of Lifeshine, StarGuard etc. They are not worth the money they charge as it’s applied by some young lad who doesn’t have a clue about the preparation required. You can buy the stuff for circa £50 and apply it yourself.

The money charged by detailers sounds a lot. But it isn’t.

Eg a 3 day detail I would charge around £450 depending on the size of the car and what type of clearcoat it had. This would be approx 36hrs work on the car. Out of that I would expend around £60-70 of products (cleaning and preparation agents, polish, destroyed pads, coatings etc). So if we take as a rough rule £390 left. That means I’m earning just under £11/hr for the actual work I’m doing. So it’s not actually a lot. You are basically paying for a detailers time and experience. Then there is the overheads of insurance (public liability, vehicle insurance etc) rent of unit space, utilities (electric, water and gas) licence from councils etc etc.

So it’s not just giving a car a thorough clean.

If that comes across as a bit arsey,confrontational it’s not meant that way. Just putting the viewpoint across from the detailing side.
I struggled to remove the pain swirls using my cheap DA. I didn't know if this was down to the sponge pad, polish or my lack of experience, or all three?

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
I’m not doing it the ME as I don’t have the time. But once I return the UK then it will be something I take up again.

Sorry - bit confused as you come across as a pro detailer. Enjoy the heat!

C350Carl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
BMW 740Ld xDrive
Sorry - bit confused as you come across as a pro detailer. Enjoy the heat!

I’m in the military. But detailing was also something I did when I was in the UK mainly at weekends when not working and during leave. However it’s not something I can do over here as I just don’t have the time.

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 2013 C350 CDI Pan roof
I’m in the military. But detailing was also something I did when I was in the UK mainly at weekends when not working and during leave. However it’s not something I can do over here as I just don’t have the time.
Just think "Carl's detailing school Ltd". ;)

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom