Automatic gearbox woes

Vincent1Wp

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1989 230E automatic
Good day
I have a problem with my 89 230E gearbox
The car will not go into reverse and only selects 1st and second gears. After second gear it will go into neutral again.
I now drive at max 2500rpm in the first two gears. Please help my diagnose the problem

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Have you checked the fluid level?
There is no single component common to only 3/4 and reverse. The K1 clutch failing would give no drive in 3/4 but not affect reverse.
If the level is correct then drop the oil out and check for colour. If it is dark coloured and smells burnt or is full of metallic particles (shimmers in the light) your gearbox could well be toast and needing a rebuild or replacement. If you opt to change the box make sure the part numbers match exactly.

OP
V

Vincent1Wp

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1989 230E automatic
Have you checked the fluid level?
There is no single component common to only 3/4 and reverse. The K1 clutch failing would give no drive in 3/4 but not affect reverse.
If the level is correct then drop the oil out and check for colour. If it is dark coloured and smells burnt or is full of metallic particles (shimmers in the light) your gearbox could well be toast and needing a rebuild or replacement. If you opt to change the box make sure the part numbers match exactly.

Hi. Checked the oil level. That is fine. Next I will drain the oil and check for metal particles. Thank you

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
completely clean a pen magnet and swirl it around in the tranny fluid . i guess? there is a ring magnet in the trans sump, a small amout of fine debris is not unusual .

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom