Babyseat Dents in Leather

W

Walter

Hello all

Stupidly forgot to fit a protector under my son's car seat and upon removing it after about 12 months have found, to my horror, some deep dents in the leather rear seat cushions. These have just not popped out after a few days as I hoped, so probably some TLC and wildly expensive leather food substance is required...does anyone have any experience of correcting a similar problem, and/or any suggested products that have actually worked?

The upholstery concerned is quite tough, grained black leather, not soft nappa. Probably just as well...

PS at least I have now found a really excellent two-part semi-rigid tray to prevent this sort of thing happening again, made by "Prince Lionheart". If anyone wants website details let me know, they are the best I've found.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Hello Walter, sorry to hear about your seat, one problem with leather is that you can stretch it, but not shrink it. What would I do, go to one of the Farmers type of super market where they sell Sadle soap. Apply this to the seat squab 2-3 times them place a very heavy flat something on the seat and leave it for a few days. The indentations have also gone through to the foam underneath.

I say never but once I put an object in one of my cars with round feet, I did the above and today I do not think that you can see it.time will work.

Malcolm

G MAN

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
380 slc 1981
A leather trimmer once told me to remove folds/stretching on leather upholstery, use a medium hot iron with a cotton cloth to protect the surface.Anyone ever tested this theory/method? I never did but he was a very good craftsman & seemed to know his job.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
G MAN said:
A leather trimmer once told me to remove folds/stretching on leather upholstery, use a medium hot iron with a cotton cloth to protect the surface.Anyone ever tested this theory/method? I never did but he was a very good craftsman & seemed to know his job.

I have not heard of that one, one snag with heat would be the foam under the leather. I know that you can stretch leather by beating it over a dolly,I have done that, its shrinking that is the problem. Water on leather will shrink to a certain extent, we all know what it feels like when your shoes have got wet, it makes the leather very hard, not good. It will though get better with time.

Malcolm

G MAN

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
380 slc 1981
Wonder if someone /breaker with a couple of old seats would give the heat & the water methods a whirl i'm sure the results would be of interest to many

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
G MAN said:
Wonder if someone /breaker with a couple of old seats would give the heat & the water methods a whirl i'm sure the results would be of interest to many

I was thinking on the same lines with a pair of shoes, I will bring back a scrap handbag over the wekend. When I bought my 1928 Rolls that had been in storage for 28 years the leather had shrunk through being in the damp for so long, I did soften some of it. There you have it Walter,put the car in a damp garage for 30 years, leave the window open a little.

malcolm

G MAN

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
380 slc 1981
maybe could just use a steam iron & try it all in just one go !!
p.s. probably wouldn't risk it myself to be honest
p.p.s. Also remember another wag telling me to clean stains in leather with milk.....
could you imagine the stink when that soaked in & curdled!!

OP
W

Walter

What can I say? My wife is a feckless slut and will not muck out her car however much I shout at her ;-)

Oh, the shame!

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Walter said:
What can I say? My wife is a feckless slut and will not muck out her car however much I shout at her ;-)

Oh, the shame!
Could you not stop her pocket money for the week ?:D

Malcolm

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom