BAS/ESP Light Come On Intermittantly, Been More Regular As Of Late!

shan7-8-6

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hey everbody,
I seem to have a new problem every other day with my mercedes clk 200 w208, but i still love it....basically the ESP/BAS light comes on now and then but its become a lot more regular now, I have read through the forums and they say the bas/esp/abs light comes on etc and that it is just a brake light switch, but I only get the bas/esp light, it doesnt say there are any malfunctions on the actual computer, does anybody have any idea what it could be? Or is it still the brake light switch thats causing it to happen?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you :)

Miffy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 320 CAB Elegance C208
A quick session on STAR will identify the fault.

kgd

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
06 E320CDi & 00 C220 CDi Est, Previous: C270 Avantagarde,C200 Cdi ,280S (type 116), 280S Type 116
Hi Shan 786
I'm having the exact same problem on a W202 cdi 220 w reg

I have tried turning the steering wheel side to side to reset - works intermittently

On the basis of cheapest fix first I boy
Got a new Brake switch from MB this morning (£11 Inc vat) fixed this pm and the fault is still present
Next fix I think is replacement of the sensors - 2 of above the ear axle. cost about £34 from MB
If that doesn't work I guess it is replacement of the brake ecu

As I
I am blundering in the dark here albeit with the help of a Haynes manual I would also be grateful for any advice

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W169, W124, w202, W203, KTM 250 EXC, VW T25 camper and a Polo in a pear tree
advice? get it plugged in. a fault code read out may only cost a tenner...

jberks

Reaction score
M1, Outside lane, somewhere between Leeds and Lond
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XF 3.0 S, LR Freelander 2, Fiat 500 & Fiat Panda
I'm having the exact same problem on a W202 cdi 220 w reg

I have tried turning the steering wheel side to side to reset - works intermittently

Turning the wheel re-calibrates the wheel angle sensor. AFAIK it does little else. To me, if this resets the light, it implies that its that sensor that's losing its settings. Why, I'm not sure. Possibly a duff sensor but I do wonder whether its a power fault causing the ESP to lose memory.
I'd tend to agree with the others. You can guess and experiment but odds are you'll end up out of pocket without fixing the problem. The cheapest way is often to get a proper diagnosis done in the first place. Then you can direct the cash where it's actually needed.

kgd

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
06 E320CDi & 00 C220 CDi Est, Previous: C270 Avantagarde,C200 Cdi ,280S (type 116), 280S Type 116
Bas esp

Many thanks for that advice I will get it tested tomorrow.

I only hesitated as my local garage told me the test would only show up a general fault fault on the system but would not indicate precisely where the problem was

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Your fault could be in either system, the ESP cannot work without BAS and no BAS means no ESP so BAS related me thinks

LadyPenelope

Reaction score
Hi..LadyP reports that the BAS/ESP warning light has come on on her R170

What is BAS/ESP anyway?

A month or so ago she had brake pads replaced all round.

Could this have any bearing on it?

Is there any tech info on what BAS/ESP does/fault finding etc..?

Ta

BAZZER1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320cdi AVANTGARDE SELECT
Intermittent bas/esp on e320cdi

Hi all,
there seems to be a lot of answers to the question of the bas/esp problem, this is my first merc, i have always had volvo's before this and could normally sort out any problem with my volvo without having so many suggestions as to the cause of a problem.
Surely there has to be a straight forward answer to the bas/esp fault problem, but it seems everyone with this merc fault which appears to be common with these cars has a different opinion as to what causes it and how to rectify it.
What about a straight forward answer to a straight forward question. ( what causes an intermttent fault with bas/est )
many thanks.

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
presumably you want a complete list of possibilities?

or maybe a response from a clairvoyant?

mandrake

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1996 c250 d
well i havent the foggiest idea what all these bas esp and other things are and as my merc hasent got them thank god . i do think that putting the car on star is not that expensive ,then why o why blunder about in the dark, there is a system that will tell you the problem and you can then correct the fault instead of it could be this it could be that changing different expensive parts and finding it dont cure your problem thats why its there without it most dealership mechanics wouldent know what was wrong

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hi all,
there seems to be a lot of answers to the question of the bas/esp problem, this is my first merc, i have always had volvo's before this and could normally sort out any problem with my volvo without having so many suggestions as to the cause of a problem.
Surely there has to be a straight forward answer to the bas/esp fault problem, but it seems everyone with this merc fault which appears to be common with these cars has a different opinion as to what causes it and how to rectify it.
What about a straight forward answer to a straight forward question. ( what causes an intermttent fault with bas/est )
many thanks.

There is some miss conception on how things work and also what the true display is saying.

First you have the ABS the base system, 98% of all faults here are usually a wheel sensor or reluctance ring, STAR can tell you what corner is at fault, but it cannot tell you that a reluctance ring has rusted away.

Next comes the BAS,, if you have the ABS lamp on the BAS cannot work so this will be displayed in the dash for the BAS, the BAS consist of a sensor and an ECU.

You can have the ESP lamp on and this is usually 1 of 2 sensors that has failed, STAR can tell you what one has failed.
Once again the ESP lamp will be on if the ABS is not working.

BAZZER1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Bas/esp problem

It doesent appear from all the mercedes drivers with this inherrent fault that a crystal ball will help.
It may be helpful to look at all the apparent possibilities for the bas/esp failure but would cost an absolute fortune to resolve as all have kindly suggested, or is this a guessing game with this car.
As an electrical engineer i can normally diagnose the majority of customer problems to one or two probablities, but with respect to all answers on this problem there does'nt appear to be one positive answer to this, and i am not being pedantic on this , there has got be a positive solution somewhere to this inherrent fault which by looking at the forum is being experinced by an awful lot of mercedes drivers.
Bazzer1

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
It doesent appear from all the mercedes drivers with this inherrent fault that a crystal ball will help.
It may be helpful to look at all the apparent possibilities for the bas/esp failure but would cost an absolute fortune to resolve as all have kindly suggested, or is this a guessing game with this car.
As an electrical engineer i can normally diagnose the majority of customer problems to one or two probablities, but with respect to all answers on this problem there does'nt appear to be one positive answer to this, and i am not being pedantic on this , there has got be a positive solution somewhere to this inherrent fault which by looking at the forum is being experinced by an awful lot of mercedes drivers.
Bazzer1

In my post above I was trying to break it down into the 3 sections, rather than have the ABS,BAS and ESP all muddled together.
I normally ask the OP again about the lamps that are lit.

BAZZER1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Bas/esp problem

Thanks malcolm
lets just deal with the bsa & esp lights coming on, what would be your experienced advice as to the cause and how to resolve this problem as i am sure this is still a minefield for the majority of drivers with the same continuing problem and a one possible solution would ease a lot of minds without going all around the houses to find the fault.
Thanks malcolm
bazzer1

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
.........one possible solution would ease a lot of minds without going all around the houses to find the fault........

one possible solution? there is no magic 'one size fits all' solution to this situation.

the positive way forward to resolve the issues that trigger these warning lights is to connect suitable diagnostic equipment as a first measure, and read out any stored fault codes in relevent modules. from there we are doing visual inspections, electrical tests, actuations and further exploration with the diagnostics kit.

ELGRINGO

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
e230 c180 sl280 brabus a190 smar cart
Hi good evening alex what do you mean surprised you not got crystal ball out to find fault, all the best gaz.

Top Bottom