Battery in storage - voltage?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Malcolm and John, one last question, if I may - would you say, based on this charging chart, that the battery is in good condition?

As I have no use for it, I've sold it yesterday, and the chap was in such a hurry to collect, I didn't have time to charge it up to 14.4V, as advised.
Now I'm somewhat concerned it might not be up to scratch? It's not like my life depends on these thirty quid, if it's a dud I'd rather bin it.

It is all not so easy, charging is one thing, its how long the battery can hold it that counts.

You could discharge the battery with a known load and time the discharge, it should divide into the capacity of that batteries size.

OP
M-B Dave

M-B Dave

Banned
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C216 CL500 2009 38k • W168 2001 104k
  • Banned
Great, thanks for that.
I felt it would climb to near 14V in another 12 hours or so ...

OP
M-B Dave

M-B Dave

Banned
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C216 CL500 2009 38k • W168 2001 104k
  • Banned
It is all not so easy, charging is one thing, its how long the battery can hold it that counts.

You could discharge the battery with a known load and time the discharge, it should divide into the capacity of that batteries size.

Thanks Malcolm.
Well, I just hope it'll be alright for the chap who bought it ... He said he drives a considerable distance daily, so that should help, even if the retention capacity is not at a brand new level (it's about 16 months old, so not ancient by any means).

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Thanks Malcolm.
Well, I just hope it'll be alright for the chap who bought it ... He said he drives a considerable distance daily, so that should help, even if the retention capacity is not at a brand new level (it's about 16 months old, so not ancient by any means).

Batteries in general last a good number of years, many just change the things, where as with a good charge they would have carried on just fine.

The battery in my CL140 is 13 years old this month, and still like new.

Top Bottom