Before I rush out and buy an MBII

Auto Addict

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Blue Efficiency C Class Estate
Can it check the battery ECU, apart from fault codes, charging rate etc.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Not quite sure I understand your question?

OP
Auto Addict

Auto Addict

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Not quite sure I understand your question?

Sorry, Ok, I know the MBII can read fault codes etc., what I wondered was, does it give more information say on the battery ECU, charging rate etc.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Sorry, Ok, I know the MBII can read fault codes etc., what I wondered was, does it give more information say on the battery ECU, charging rate etc.
Ah ok. Sorry (after all that) but I can't answer as I don't have one. There are a number of live data views that will show you what is actually happening in the car in realtime and I think battery voltage is one of these but charge Amps is unlikely unless it derives it from battery voltage.

OP
Auto Addict

Auto Addict

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Ah ok. Sorry (after all that) but I can't answer as I don't have one. There are a number of live data views that will show you what is actually happening in the car in realtime and I think battery voltage is one of these but charge Amps is unlikely unless it derives it from battery voltage.

OK, thanks, I think I'll email Icarsoft to be sure.

umblecumbuz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 and CLC 204 cdi, MX5, Kia Soul
You'd be better contacting one of the Authorised suppliers, who are often very helpful.
iCarsoft have a reputation for not answering emails.

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
Can it check the battery ECU, apart from fault codes, charging rate etc.
Pretty certain it shows voltage readings
E.g. My heater on the door mirror went. You can go into the door control module and see the readings.
Likewise you can see the "battery control module"
The main problem is knowing what to look for. Their manual does not help you at all, neither do icarsoft.
They never reply.
But its a good unit, enough info to ascertain, in my case as a novice, that a brand new MB battery was defective, and the alternator was working perfectly. And that the door control module was fine, and their was the correct voltage to the mirror heater ... just it had gone OL.

Defo recommended!

Just dont start the O2 test, unless you know how to stop the test on your car.
Apparrently it can deactivate SBC brakes, and in my case put the EPB in service mode ( but I cant find out how to do the latter ).
Apparrently You can also reset the service indicator. Not tried personally.

I think it might also be useful finding a drain. Obviously not definitively like say a clamp meter and physically pulling fuses. But you can see which control modules have not shut down.
E.g. In my case say you were looking at current drain, the car actually doesnt shut down for 4 or 5 mins. (Actually with keyless go it never seems to totally shut down, only to about 1 or 2 mA .. 0.002A)
Discovered if you push down the bonnet lock catches, it then shuts down in 1 to 2 mins, durng this time you can see things like door control modules waiting for you to shut the bonnet).

Personally I would not own a MB out of mfg. warranty without one.
But remember it is NOT STAR!

Yugguy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220CDI W204 Elegance Comand
I have an MB II, it can run a whole host of diagnostics as well as reading the codes from various parts of the car.

OP
Auto Addict

Auto Addict

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thank you for all your replies.

OP
Auto Addict

Auto Addict

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I've bought one, it arrived this morning.

When it stops raining, might have a play.

Thanks again for everyone's help.

Bertie Wooster

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W220 S320cdi
Extremely handy bit of kit!
I keep finding new capabilities with each use. If you've got the time and the inclination, with a fair bit of deep diving, it can throw up some very useful data. For example, it will show the gearbox oil temperature, that being essential for correct fluid level readings.
And yes, to back up what Sub has said, it can indeed reset the service indicator.

Best
Bertie.

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
Extremely handy bit of kit!
I keep finding new capabilities with each use. If you've got the time and the inclination, with a fair bit of deep diving, it can throw up some very useful data. For example, it will show the gearbox oil temperature, that being essential for correct fluid level readings.
And yes, to back up what Sub has said, it can indeed reset the service indicator.

Best
Bertie.
Did you find out where you go, to put the EPB in service mode?

Bertie Wooster

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W220 S320cdi
Did you find out where you go, to put the EPB in service mode?

Afraid not as my W220 hasn't actually got that particular feature. I'm sure it's there somewhere though!
I will say that a bit of digging can reveal all sorts of interesting stuff with the MBII.
Hope you find what you're looking for, Sub!

Best,
Bertie.

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
Afraid not as my W220 hasn't actually got that particular feature. I'm sure it's there somewhere though!
I will say that a bit of digging can reveal all sorts of interesting stuff with the MBII.
Hope you find what you're looking for, Sub!

Best,
Bertie.
Thanks.
I do think its a great peice of kit, so reassuring to see no fault codes after you have done some work.
OK I wont do major work myself buts its so handy to assess what one needs to commission an Indy to do. And what parts they need to get in for you.
Saves that wasted trip for them to assess stuff.

We intend to get the wife a newer car soon and once the house move happens, go looking for a peachy CL63AMG, I think this toy, would be invaluable in deciding which ones are worth getting a proper pre- purchase inspection done.
Plus might help avoid a clocked one.

Great value for £135. Paid for itself already.

Got to say ... iCarsoft really have a seriously "thick" Sales Director. If I was running sales there, I would give away a few units to seriously articulate people who would do a sort of series of U Tube videos; showing what that unit can do, and more importwntly how/where it does it ... a sort of video manual! Reckon you could boost sales by 25% if folks had a clue just how much is hidden in that little box of tricks.

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom