Best software/device to clear errors on the go in an emergency situation?

RockDriver

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2013 ML350 Bluetec
So I just bought a W166, but in another thread I was told about a potentially dangerous situation when an ABS sensor fails, the car grounds itself and the only way to get it going is to clear the error code. I'm preparing for a trip across continental Europe, so this is a worry. What can I get to handle a potential situation like this? Do I need a dedicated device or are there any Android + OBD2 bluetooth adapter options that could work (preferable)?

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
Icarsoft mb v2 or 3. Buy it. Practice and don't leave home without it.
Whilst at moment I don't often see a fault. I often go thru the system before I travel.
I had a faulty wheel sensor and the f car would not release the electronic h brake. That nearly cost me a 1500 recovery.
despite a replacement adblue tank and pump I still occasionally get the adblue faulty warning and once the ur fd in 500 miles if ur an adblue car save for and expect aggro. Better still delete it or get shot of the car it's a rubbish system that maker cobbled up in a shed..

For the first time in my life and with my 2nd ever newest car w166 I hav bought EU recovery insurance. Says all ref modern cars really. For last 40 yr a bag with a few tools. Gaffa tape, puncture plugs ect and I never failed to get home. These days it's just a lottery.

OP
R

RockDriver

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2013 ML350 Bluetec
Icarsoft mb v2 or 3. Buy it. Practice and don't leave home without it.
Whilst at moment I don't often see a fault. I often go thru the system before I travel.
I had a faulty wheel sensor and the f car would not release the electronic h brake. That nearly cost me a 1500 recovery.
despite a replacement adblue tank and pump I still occasionally get the adblue faulty warning and once the ur fd in 500 miles if ur an adblue car save for and expect aggro. Better still delete it or get shot of the car it's a rubbish system that maker cobbled up in a shed..
Thanks. I also noticed that Icarsoft has a bluetooth dongle, but I don't think they have an Android app (with matching functionality to MB 3.0) to go with it, which is a shame.
For the first time in my life and with my 2nd ever newest car w166 I hav bought EU recovery insurance. Says all ref modern cars really. For last 40 yr a bag with a few tools. Gaffa tape, puncture plugs ect and I never failed to get home. These days it's just a lottery.
Yeah, I'm gonna get the European AA coverage for the duration of the trip. It's not very cheap, but it's a good insurance for worst case scenario.

axelcls

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes w218 CLS63 AMG now gone, RR Velar
I’m travelling across Europe every 3-4 months, @5k miles every trip, always iCarsoft in the car and Euro+ breakdown cover for a year from green flag which is a good value (imo)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: DSK

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
I’m travelling across Europe every 3-4 months, @5k miles every trip, always iCarsoft in the car and Euro+ breakdown cover for a year from green flag which is a good value (imo)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Just another modern expence previously not required

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
just imagine if the car manu were really in on the plot - make the car less safe so the people at the bottom (99% of the population) are too scared to go outside and or can't afford to go anywhere... But of course you'd end up having to have a workforce that could do the slavery where they are - at that rate I guess you'd need to try something to make it work, maybe you could try and create a virus that mandated everyone stayed put. That way they could test if you could land it OK...

still it'll never happen - could you imagine if google tracked everything you do, say and write, then informed on you? thank goodness for freedom of speech, or we end up with banks killing cypto and governments trying to shut down twitter in case someone told the truth

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124/E200, W220/S320CDI, W205/C200, W251/R350CDI 4Matic
To the OP. if in an emergency and you get a DTC, clearing the DTC is going to do nothing, the cars computers are reading all the time and the DTC will come up again.

If your car is MB serviced you will have MOBILO.

A well maintained merc wont break down. (touch wood)

if you dont do diy mInrenance and never will then a IC is overkill. If just for resetting codes then an app and cheap dongle will do

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
but why would you pay through the nose at MB? ;)
Debate has been had for years. I supply my own oil to MB for service (and they do nothing more), never cost me more than 200 for a service. Any other work I do myself or an indy (getting less as my knowledge grows). Have the book stamped for mobilio as I am monthly driving across Europe.
Horses for courses.
Mobilo is much better than any 3rd party cover by a mile.
That all said I have never had a breakdown in a merc (touch wood) Just once a flat battery after car was left a few weeks when I was living in NL, called Mobilo, they said they would be there in an hour. I had a flight to catch and needed to drive to the airport - got a taxi and it was refunded by mobilo both ways.

Last edited:

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
Mobilo is much better than any 3rd par cover.
That all said I have never had a breakdown in a merc (touch wood)
Depends on what you want or need from your road side assistance. Mobilo wouldn't be much use to me if my caravan has a problem when towing, but my Mayday will sort it

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Depends on what you want or need from your road side assistance. Mobilo wouldn't be much use to me if my caravan has a problem when towing, but my Mayday will sort it
as said horses for courses

we should discuss over a pint sometime

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Autel do an Android dongle called AP-200 that works pretty well though it can be temperamental getting connected and the app only works if you have a data signal of some kind.

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom