Best Trickle Charger To Use on E200

Tony1664

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E200 Cabriolet 65 plate
I am going to be leaving my 65 Reg E200 cabriolet parked up in the garage for 8 weeks and am wondering how best to keep the battery charged and any other actions I should take to keep it ready for use on my return.
Should I slightly over inflate the tyres to prevent flat spots?
Any suggestions for a suitable battery trickle charger.
Many thanks for any suggestions.

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
I don't think 8 weeks will bother the tyres, but over inflating them when its going to be parked for more than a couple of weeks is never a bad idea IMO.

as for battery chargers, many on here use C-Tek chargers which are basically intelligent chargers/battery conditioners. there are similar units (like one that was on offer in Aldi a while back, apparently) but as a rule, C-Tek seems to be the go-to choice by members here, some of whom leave their cars (SLs and the likes) connected over the winter (so about 11 months of the year ;);)) and theyre fine

daveenty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2019 AMG S Class Coupe
CTEK MXS 5.0 is probably the most popular charger around. Just plug it in and forget about it.

As for the tyres, for a few weeks I wouldn't even think about it. Mine's spent longer in airport parking :)

Vintage Racer

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2001 SL320 (R129)
My C-TEK MXS 5'S (two of them) are permanently attached to my 320SL and TR3a

Great bit of kit!

mikestrivens

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 W124 320TE, 1998 R129 SL500, 2016 Triumph Tiger 800 XCx
I have C-Teks on both cars and bike. Wonderful.

Chrishazle

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 2008 C220CDI Elegance Estate Auto, 2008 R171 Facelift SLK280
When Aldi have their battery conditioners on offer for £15, they're a good alternative to Ctek £50 conditioners most of the time. Many have found them as good as Ctek, but occasionally they do fail early - but at 1/3rd the cost, it's worth a punt if you can get one. I've used a conditioner for many years on my 968, parked up for as much as 3-4 months for the cab over winter or 12 weeks for the coupe when I was overseas. Cars have always started first time every time, plus I'm convinced it seriously enhances battery life - my coupe was on a 10 year old battery when I sold her, it was still going strong - but the coupe was on the conditioner any time she was in her garage!! When I bought the coupe, she was 4 1/2 years old, already on her second battery, and I had to replace it 2 years after i bought her - and never again! Shows the benefit of the conditioner!!

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
I am going to be leaving my 65 Reg E200 cabriolet parked up in the garage for 8 weeks and am wondering how best to keep the battery charged and any other actions I should take to keep it ready for use on my return.
Should I slightly over inflate the tyres to prevent flat spots?
Any suggestions for a suitable battery trickle charger.
Many thanks for any suggestions.

If the car has start stop and an AGM Battery then you need the CTEK Start Stop, as that is the only one in their new range that does not have the 15.3v conditioning cycle! ( definite no no for AGM Batteries .. ex Varta Technical )

daibevan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W203 C200 Kompressor Elegance SE 2006 Tanzanite Blue with cream interior
Lidl chargers are on offer either from thurs or next week, about£13-14

OP
T

Tony1664

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E200 Cabriolet 65 plate
My C-TEK MXS 5'S (two of them) are permanently attached to my 320SL and TR3a

Great bit of kit!
Thanks for the feedback and suggestion, need to go shopping

OP
T

Tony1664

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E200 Cabriolet 65 plate
When Aldi have their battery conditioners on offer for £15, they're a good alternative to Ctek £50 conditioners most of the time. Many have found them as good as Ctek, but occasionally they do fail early - but at 1/3rd the cost, it's worth a punt if you can get one. I've used a conditioner for many years on my 968, parked up for as much as 3-4 months for the cab over winter or 12 weeks for the coupe when I was overseas. Cars have always started first time every time, plus I'm convinced it seriously enhances battery life - my coupe was on a 10 year old battery when I sold her, it was still going strong - but the coupe was on the conditioner any time she was in her garage!! When I bought the coupe, she was 4 1/2 years old, already on her second battery, and I had to replace it 2 years after i bought her - and never again! Shows the benefit of the conditioner!!
Thanks for your helpful response, I need to go shopping.

OP
T

Tony1664

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E200 Cabriolet 65 plate
I don't think 8 weeks will bother the tyres, but over inflating them when its going to be parked for more than a couple of weeks is never a bad idea IMO.

as for battery chargers, many on here use C-Tek chargers which are basically intelligent chargers/battery conditioners. there are similar units (like one that was on offer in Aldi a while back, apparently) but as a rule, C-Tek seems to be the go-to choice by members here, some of whom leave their cars (SLs and the likes) connected over the winter (so about 11 months of the year ;);)) and theyre fine
Thank you for your feedback, very helpfull.

OP
T

Tony1664

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E200 Cabriolet 65 plate
Perfect timing - I need two for putting in the barns for storing cars over winter!
Thanks for tue heads up, need to check where my local shop is located.

OP
T

Tony1664

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E200 Cabriolet 65 plate
Hi, the car has stop/start but I have no idea about the battery. It is not an AMG model but so called AMG styling.

flowrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230)
If the car has start stop and an AGM Battery then you need the CTEK Start Stop, as that is the only one in their new range that does not have the 15.3v conditioning cycle! ( definite no no for AGM Batteries .. ex Varta Technical )
The CTEK MXS 5.0 has an AGM mode.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom